• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you need for a MG in MA

This is a new subject for me. What do I need to do and who do I contact if I want a MG

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pjvy4x

In order:
1. A machine gun license (go see your town's licensing officer and fill out the form, if he'll even let you.)
2. A buttload of money to buy one
3. An experienced dealer who can help you through the transfer process.
4. Time.........
5. Another buttload of money to feed the thing

The short version..
You would need a license to possess a machine gun. issued by your local leo.

Then when you buy something, you would then need to go to your local leo and get a sign off, and prints taken.

Send that package down to ATF w/ a check for $200 and many months later, get your form back and then pick up your gun at your dealer.

In order:
1. A machine gun license (go see your town's licensing officer and fill out the form, if he'll even let you.)
2. A buttload of money to buy one
3. An experienced dealer who can help you through the transfer process.
4. Time.........
5. Another buttload of money to feed the thing

This except I would put the buttload of money part at the beginning. Because if you have a lot of money nearly every other problem is fixable (except for the waiting) WRT NFA ownership.

-Mike

I advise folks to sit down with their COP and ask if he/she would issue the Green Card and sign off on a form 4. Ask if anything else is required. Don't bring up the 03 FFL. Do a lot of research on the state and fed. laws first, so you won't stumble around when asked questions. If asked why you want a MG, it's because you want to start a modest collection. Jack.

I advise folks to sit down with their COP and ask if he/she would issue the Green Card and sign off on a form 4. Ask if anything else is required. Don't bring up the 03 FFL. Do a lot of research on the state and fed. laws first, so you won't stumble around when asked questions. If asked why you want a MG, it's because you want to start a modest collection. Jack.

Do as Jack has suggested. You may have to have the C&R first (only $30 for one IIRC) as the state of MA will issue a MG license for collecting. The state thinks that the only reason you would want a MG is if you collecting them [rolleyes].

I advise folks that after they get the MG license to get a NFA Trust so you don't have to deal with getting your CLEO to sign Form 4's.

Curio and relic - its an FFL for bona fide collectors, only. You can have certain 50+ year old firearms (and a frew others considered curios by the ATF) sent directly to your house. It also affords you discounts at certain places. Do a search on C&R and you will find lots of information.

If I recall correctly.

This except I would put the buttload of money part at the beginning. Because if you have a lot of money nearly every other problem is fixable (except for the waiting) WRT NFA ownership.

-Mike

Could you please try to explain to me what a BUTTLOAD is.. I have a feeling this differs upon the individual.. I could stack a dozen Grover Cleveland's up there.. Kinda scared to try a BUTTLOAD of Jefferson's though... Seriously..all said and done, any real numbers?

Could you please try to explain to me what a BUTTLOAD is.. I have a feeling this differs upon the individual.. I could stack a dozen Grover Cleveland's up there.. Kinda scared to try a BUTTLOAD of Jefferson's though... Seriously..all said and done, any real numbers?

On the cheap end your talking 4 or 5 grand for a MAC, on the high end you could be talking 20 times that much. It really depends on what you want and what someone is willing to sell. The supply is artificially limited so the prices are all out of whack. Thank Reagan.

For a garden variety MG, you are looking to spend anywhere from about $4,000 to $15,000 for just the gun. Prices go up from there for the rare and interesting things. For example, a Minigun will set you back about $350,000 these days. An M2 usually runs about $25,000-$39,000.

The tax stamp is $200 for MG and DD and $5 for an AOW. (If you don't know what those acronyms mean, for crying out loud, go read the sticky!)

A purchase will often incur the usual transfer fees, shipping. NFA transfer fees may be higher than a normal transfer fee due to the extra work & time involved for the dealer(s). Expect $80-150.

Getting the MA green card will cost you $100 for the appliation fee, plus $35 for the C&R most towns will require. Add in mailing costs, time off work to get fingerprinted, interviewed, etc.

Plus more $$$ for the trust, which is route we recommend. Insurance against several dangers, including a change in COP.

Then ammo. Lots and lots and lots of ammo.

Then fun. And big smiles. And you will, for a few moments, forget how thin your wallet is now.
[video=youtube_share;k0s-xYEa0a4]http://youtu.be/k0s-xYEa0a4[/video]

What Acme and JasonS said covers most of it.

I will add that if you live in a douche town you will need to add those costs in, too... whatever it costs you to move, set up a front business, or other crap you have to get into to get around the "problem" on a licensing end. Some chiefs are OK about MGs and others are douchebags and will never grant you one. In that case you have to go "town shopping" and to do that it can get expensive.

-Mike

I now it was mentioned, to not get the 003 FFL, but most require that first. One of the guidelines is to be a "bonified" collector. A C&R FFL will cover that. At least that's what my Chief required.

I now it was mentioned, to not get the 003 FFL, but most require that first. One of the guidelines is to be a "bonified" collector. A C&R FFL will cover that. At least that's what my Chief required.

It varies depending on town. Some don't ask for it at all. That's why its good to ask, first.

-Mike

It varies depending on town. Some don't ask for it at all. That's why its good to ask, first.

-Mike
I bought the 03 FFL back when you guys were still pissing your pants just to have it in my collection. Have never used it and no one has ever asked to see it. Your results may vary. Never volunteer info. Jack.

Just wanted to add that:
C&R NFA weapons are going to cost more for obvious reasons.
The $200 tax stamp is x 2 unless you can find what you are looking instate, then it would be only $200 (instate trans.)and you can FA10 the weapon once you get your stamp back.
Also be prepared to wait approx. 6 months for the stamp(s) to process.
I would also advise on doing your 5320.20(s) ASAP so you can take the weapon out of state.

Good Luck

Not to derail the thread, but...
ACME is that M2 set up for left side feed... like the twin and quad mounted m-2's? It seems to have the regular backplate... As much as one M-2 is awesome, two or four M-2s is just freaking outstanding!
(PS the new M-2's have had wieght reduction and now come with a safety and fixed headspace and timing. Fixed headspace is nice; but, the safety makes you feel like a child.)

Not to derail the thread, but...
ACME is that M2 set up for left side feed... like the twin and quad mounted m-2's? It seems to have the regular backplate... As much as one M-2 is awesome, two or four M-2s is just freaking outstanding!
(PS the new M-2's have had wieght reduction and now come with a safety and fixed headspace and timing. Fixed headspace is nice; but, the safety makes you feel like a child.)

That M2 is set up for left hand feed. The other Twin is a right hand feed. M2's can be switched to feed from either side so they can be in a Twin mount as below, or in a Quad mount. The charging handle can also be switched for ease of use in a Twin/Quad mount. I like the older style M2's also but the newer quick change barrel w/fixed headspace option would be nice if I was in a combat situation.

49751c98.jpg

Adam knows that.
Lookielookie here, from the 5:00 mark

Thanks Juergen. We need a taller berm so I can bring the Twins to a shoot again.

the ffl03 license is very good to have if anything if you order stuff from brownells or midway like gun parts they have decent discount for ffl03 holders.
plus you never know you maybe out and about and find a C&R qualified unit.

Just an FYI. A M11/9 can be had for $3000. Its a fun little bullet-hose, but is very limited.

Richard Lage (max-11.com) makes a wonderful upper conversion for the M11 that makes it into something that can compete with a MP5 in subgun competitions. Its really fantastic, and at about $700, a steal.

He also came out with a .22 conversion kit. The only down side to the conversion kit is that since its a new product, there are no pre-ban mags. So the 40 rd, .22 mags would be illegal. And blocking a MG mag to only handle 10 rounds would be . . uh pointless.

So $4000 gets you a M11 with a lage upper, and a dozen (very) pre-ban metal mags for it.

http://usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=52

Here's a pic of my M11/9 with the lage upper and a can. Very fun and quiet with 147 gr handloads. Unfortunately, its still in CT.

Which brings me to another point. If you reload, you can save money and tweak the load for reliability and cyclic speed. My reloads cost me about $5/box.

Max11.jpg

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels like I can be arrested in MA for just saying the word "machinegun"?

In general, is it easier to get a greed card in the western part of the state as opposed to right next to Boston?

Green card issuance is best described as "spastic". You won't know until you try, or unless you know someone from "Town X" who has a green card.

Also note that so called "green" for LTC issuance towns are not necessarily automatically more likely to issue an MG license. Some towns in MA issue unrestricted LTC-As only as a matter of "political expediency" it doesn't mean that they are pro gun or would issue an MG license.

-Mike

Am I the only one who feels like I can be arrested in MA for just saying the word "machinegun"?

In general, is it easier to get a greed card in the western part of the state as opposed to right next to Boston?

Yes.

No. I've known people who have been denied a MA-MG License west of Worcester. It is up to the CLEO again. If you want one I suggest you apply for a 03 FFL Curio & Relics as this will show you to be a "Collector" to the state of MA. New MA-MG Licenses are usually only issued with the Restriction: Collector.

If you do get a MA-MG License, smile for the picture as you will be one of the few who have one.

Most transferable MG's I am seeing lately start around $4500-5000.

No. I've known people who have been denied a MA-MG License west of Worcester. It is up to the CLEO again. If you want one I suggest you apply for a 03 FFL Curio & Relics as this will show you to be a "Collector" to the state of MA. New MA-MG Licenses are usually only issued with the Restriction: Collector.

I have had a FFL03 since 2002. My CLEO in Winthrop will not even let me submit an application for a green card. Basically saying Winthrop is a magchine gun free zone. :(

I recently had my interview for my LTC at the Arlington PD. We went through everything and I brought out my

07 FFL
03 FFL
Copies of my carry permits in CT, NH, UT, and FL
Letter from my CLEO in CT attesting that I've been a resident and FFL in town and have been upstanding citizen
Certificate from my alarm monitoring company.

You get the picture. The Sgt, said, "you don't need that stuff". I replied that I wanted to do everything necessary to make sure I got an unrestricted LTC-A. He said "thats the only kind we issue here, don't worry"

However, when I mentioned a machine gun permit, he became a bit less easy and suggested we cross that bridge after I get my LTC.

So right now my MG and 4 suppressors are being enjoyed by a frien in CT who is a trustee on my trust.

Back
Top Bottom