What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Nice!
I have that mould and it drops beautiful bullet really fast.
The drop big enough for my 38 too.
Work great in 9.
Had some from your mold that were cast at the workshop - they were running large (.360) so I ordered this mold and a .357 sizer die.
And now the sizer die will sit on the shelf because this mold is dropping right at spec (range scrap with 1% additional tin)

Had some from your mold that were cast at the workshop - they were running large (.360) so I ordered this mold and a .357 sizer die.
And now the sizer die will sit on the shelf because this mold is dropping right at spec (range scrap with 1% additional tin)
Can’t beat that. That sizer will come in handy though. As is it lapped out to fit your needs

Cast up some Lee 356-120-TC

One of my favorites, too. I use this in .35 Remington, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, 9x19mm and even in 9x17mm (they run fine in my neighbor's PPK).

For .30 caliber plinkers, I tend to favor the Lyman 311410...

gCxlrQ5m.jpg

One of my favorites, too. I use this in .35 Remington, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, 9x19mm and even in 9x17mm (they run fine in my neighbor's PPK).

gCxlrQ5m.jpg

Have a single cavity Ideal 311467 for 30 cal fodder - goes slow but the old 1903 in 30-06 can do a number on the shoulder so not many rounds are really needed

That's the beauty of .30 caliber; plenty of mold and bullet choices. Mine drop large enough for 7.65 Argentine down to .30 carbine, so I use it in many cartridges. I do have a few other heavier bullets with gas checks, but since I'm loading pip squeak loads, the plain based 311410 works just fine.
It's all a hoot. Slower moving bullets bust cans and make holes in paper just as well as hyper-speed bullets and I get about 7x as many rounds per pound of powder.
Heck, even ultra light bullets (18g plastic) with near-normal charges do wonders on water-filled cans...
nAozq5Il.jpg

That's the beauty of .30 caliber; plenty of mold and bullet choices. Mine drop large enough for 7.65 Argentine down to .30 carbine, so I use it in many cartridges. I do have a few other heavier bullets with gas checks, but since I'm loading pip squeak loads, the plain based 311410 works just fine.
It's all a hoot. Slower moving bullets bust cans and make holes in paper just as well as hyper-speed bullets and I get about 7x as many rounds per pound of powder.
Heck, even ultra light bullets (18g plastic) with near-normal charges do wonders on water-filled cans...
nAozq5Il.jpg
We used to blow apart out dated cans of food with wax bullets out of a 32 and 38 SW. Primed case, a bed of 1\4" ish thick wax . Use the case like a cookie cutter and press it into the wax. Plenty accurate for inside winter fun. Not to load but more damaging than you would think.

gCxlrQ5m.jpg
I have not had the time to work up any of my 311410s but run scrap lead and trail boss with the 1903a3. I need to crony some of my loads as I need to find the threshold where they start leading and accuracy start to fail. I also want to see how fast trail boss can push the gas checked variety. Plus knowing the velocity will help with my 200 yard sight adjustments.
I will be casting up some fresh 314299s for use in the 303 soon.

After a 3 month delay due to life, I got my ass back in the room and whipped up a batch of 308 for my Rem 700. I found a sweet spot of H4895 / Horn 168g HPBT @ 2.805 OAL. Working in a range from 39g to 40.5g is giving me consistent tight groups. Above 40.5 seems to go up and flat across and below 39.5 seems to go diagonally down and left.

Tried my hand at Hi Tek coating some bullets - did two pounds in a $12 Walmart Toaster oven using a thermocouple meter to get the temp correct (200°C ± 5°)
First Coat:
20180610_162209.jpg
Second Coat:
20180610_165055.jpg
Crushed in the Vice:
20180610_165111.jpg

Need to get my casting technique down because there were a number of rounds that cast oversize - Thought I was being good about keeping the mold clean and well lubed but will need to go through and sort for size or pick up a .356 sizer and just run everything through it.

Tried my hand at Hi Tek coating some bullets - did two pounds in a $12 Walmart Toaster oven using a thermocouple meter to get the temp correct (200°C ± 5°)
First Coat:
View attachment 236708
Second Coat:
View attachment 236709
Crushed in the Vice:
View attachment 236710

Need to get my casting technique down because there were a number of rounds that cast oversize - Thought I was being good about keeping the mold clean and well lubed but will need to go through and sort for size or pick up a .356 sizer and just run everything through it.

Not a bad idea to size. It might not be your method of casting but it could be that each cavity is a different size. Is not uncommon in lee Moulds.
They make them fast and cheap but it’s nothing that sizing can’t fix.

Not a bad idea to size. It might not be your method of casting but it could be that each cavity is a different size. Is not uncommon in lee Moulds.
They make them fast and cheap but it’s nothing that sizing can’t fix.

I would blame it on the mold but it's not a 50/50 mix - not even close. So i'm pretty certain it's the loose nut behind the handles causing issues

First Coat:
View attachment 236708
Second Coat:
View attachment 236709
Crushed in the Vice:
View attachment 236710

Alloy temp can play a roll in sized dropped

Did a batch of my usual 9mm load of 147g xtreme plated over 3.4 g n320. Checked some at the range. Usually get 860 fps and got some crazy readings. I think the bright sun and mottled shade I was under from a tree might caused the readings.

Attachments

• 20180619_114544.jpg
    20180619_114544.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180619_114548.jpg
    20180619_114548.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 23
I got the Inline Fabrication "skylight" for the Dillon 650 for Father's Day and just installed it. It throws plenty of light and was easy to install.

I put some shelves up and got my presses bolted to their new InlineFab mounts. I also swapped out all 10 48" fluorescent tubes in that room for 4000K LEDs. Now I need to actually mount the presses to the bench, finish painting the shelves, and start unboxing crap. I closed on my house a year ago so it's been about that long since I've reloaded anything.

i have been doing some remodeling in the basement ( loosing even more space,) i was going to cast up some 30 cal for a up coming match. While moving more stuff around i found ",heavy" box. Whoo hoo my favorite 30cal 165 grain ranch dog mold bullets. all ready cast. I Sorted them with a +/- .5 grain split then sorted by the .1 degree untill i had 15 all the same weight. For the slow fire prone match. The rest are for the other stages.
Average of 40 bullets was 162.2 , 15 where 162 . i had 3 -.5 and 2 +.5 the rest are all +/- .2
This bullet and 2400 in my 03a3 are 10 ring if i can put the sights on!

Back
Top Bottom