What did you do in the reloading room recently?

What are people using for Tokarev dies?

I've got an RCBS 7.63 Mauser die set that seems to work just fine with 7.62 Tokarev. As with the .357 SIG, the short neck can be troublesome, so size it properly to have adequate bullet grip.
I don't shoot anything in 7.62x25mm, so most of my reloads are just stashed away with other ammo and brass. Hardly enough quantities for you to come down here, but you are still welcome. I know I have some of the Hornady XTPs and RNSP on hand for these, too.
Range and reloading bench onsite.

~5.0 grains of Win231 for lead 200gr SWC works for me.
I'll be using 230gr round nose for most things. I do have some 185gr projectiles I'll need to load up for my father's IPSC race gun (comp'd barrel and such). :)

I want to have the load work in both my wide-body 1911 (started as a Para, but not much is left of that) and my Magnum Research 1911C.

BTW, I have about 6# of 231 and a few pounds of Bullseye on hand... Plan to get more in the next couple of months plus a good amount of projectiles.

I've got an RCBS 7.63 Mauser die set that seems to work just fine with 7.62 Tokarev. As with the .357 SIG, the short neck can be troublesome, so size it properly to have adequate bullet grip.
I don't shoot anything in 7.62x25mm, so most of my reloads are just stashed away with other ammo and brass. Hardly enough quantities for you to come down here, but you are still welcome. I know I have some of the Hornady XTPs and RNSP on hand for these, too.
Range and reloading bench onsite.
It's good to know, I think I've heard of a few people using Mauser dies. I confirmed a shop near me has Tokarev ammo in stock so I'm going to swing by on Saturday and pick up a few boxes. I'll need dies, projectiles and a suitable powder, since I don't think I have any that fits the bill. I checked my manuals yet for load data, probably should.

I got my Tokarev back in Feb/March as my first C&R pistol and it's been collecting dust, really want to get it out there.
I need to spend some time this weekend reorganizing all my reloading stuff as it's starting to get a bit out of hand. Due to not having a place to shoot for seven months, it almost feels like I'm starting over again on reloading since I didn't have any rotation of stock, so to speak.

I don't plan on shooting hundreds and hundreds of Tokarev rounds but since I don't expect availability and price to improve, it makes sense to me to get setup for it.

It's generous offer, but like you alluded, pretty far for me. If I still lived in CT I might've taken you up on it! The info alone is helpful.

Found time to fix my bag I lug all my match gear in. New set of wheels. Nice to be able to move in the dark hole again
W3sASwOl.jpg

Brought bag up to living room for pics as it’s very dark today with the rain storms

Cooked up a side of pewter
9DR6m5zl.jpg

Last edited:
Found time to fix my bag I lug all my match gear in. New set of wheels. Nice to be able to move in the dark hole again
W3sASwOl.jpg

Brought bag up to living room for pics as it’s very dark today with the rain storms

Cooked up a side of pewter
9DR6m5zl.jpg
The above pewter was bought a small local store I got the 2 pewter cream cups, 3 large stainless spoons, 1 large ladle and about 2 lbs used up beeswax candles. Talked her down from $15 to $10

beeswax will run you $6-12lb depending on quality and refinement
Pewter runs $20/lb
18" stainless spoons and ladle cheap ones are about $5 each these are pretty heavy duty not quite commercial grade but not paper thin either.

ended up with 4oz pewter
kYUWBJJl.jpg

4oz is enough to add to 4lbs of clip on wheel weights to get close to Lyman#2 alloy
and a hardness of about 13 water drop them and get up to about 18ish.

Last edited:
So I managed to pickup two boxes of PPU Tokarev ammo, although they only had JHP defensive loads. Nice to get to shoot it finally. I was going to do a write up in milsurp section later with range report. On the plus side, since it's defensive rounds, I can now carry my Tokarev with confidence [smile]

Also took out my M16A1 clone for the first time. The sight drum is tight as hell but I got it to move. I have lots of ready .223 brass to load up for the next trip out.

Also might have yet another caliber to add to the fold soon.

This past weekend I felt the urge to finally set up an old RCBS Rockchucker I bought at an estate sale about a year and a half ago, along with a bunch of other equipment and components. With that, I decided I was going to start reloading .30-06 because I haven't shot my M1 Garand in way too damn long, so before you know it I spent most of Saturday afternoon setting up my dies, trimmer, case prep, etc.

I ended up using once fired PPU cases, Winchester Large Rifle Primers, and I selected H4895 to be my powder of choice. I loaded 20 rounds with a Hornady 150 gr. FMJBT over 47 gr. H4895, and then 20 rounds with a Hornady 168 gr. HPBT Match projectile over 46 gr. H4895.

I took those rounds to the range Sunday afternoon along with a clip loaded with PPU .30-06 M1 Garand loads. Off the bench, the 150 gr. reloads printed very much the same as the PPU loads at 100 yards with 5 round groups, and felt very similar in recoil. The 168's shot very well, the group was basically cut in half and the recoil seemed to be more of a "push" compared to the 150's. I felt like I wasn't doing the rifle justice having a hard time seeing the target in the shade. After 4 clicks right of windage adjustment I was zeroed in. Shot another set of groups again at 50 yards since I could see the target much better, and the 168 gr. loads shot VERY nicely, 5 shots within I'd say about an inch and a quarter. Ended up shooting the rest of my rounds at various steel plates between 100 and 200 yards, way too much fun.

What's everyone else running for loads with their M1 Garand? I think I'll be doing some ladder work with the 168's next, and I've got a GI sling on order.

Man those are expensive..... You could get a few 650s and all the dies you could ever need for that price.
Yup, and that's the cheap one! We moved house recently and I sold a bunch of stuff so I treated myself. Good thing is I can use all the dies I already have.

He just wants to have ammo cranked out really fast! Can't say I blame him! I wonder how long the lead time is for the Mark 7,
Exactly, I really like my 650 but it never fails to hick-up every time I use it. Mark 7 took a Dillon and put it on some serious steorides and it cranks out consistent rounds in no time. I have limited time to re-load so I tend to crank out 500 or so at a time. If I can cut that time downs to a few minutes I will be delighted. Lead time for mine so far is almost 3 months. They stopped taking orders so they can catch up. There new at the press business but are years into press auto drives.

I was not familiar so I just looked up the price...good grief !!!!
Right, but like everything else with this shooting hobby...buy once, cry once.

How much do you have to shoot before breaking even on that bad boy ???
I was not familiar so I just looked up the price...good grief !!!!
I buy my bullets 10'000 at time. I still can't hit shit but I'm having fun. When I stop having fun I'll move on.

How much do you have to shoot before breaking even on that bad boy ???
I reckon the 650 paid for itself in a few years. But its all relative, buy more components = shoot more = more fun.

This past weekend I felt the urge to finally set up an old RCBS Rockchucker I bought at an estate sale about a year and a half ago, along with a bunch of other equipment and components. With that, I decided I was going to start reloading .30-06 because I haven't shot my M1 Garand in way too damn long, so before you know it I spent most of Saturday afternoon setting up my dies, trimmer, case prep, etc.

I ended up using once fired PPU cases, Winchester Large Rifle Primers, and I selected H4895 to be my powder of choice. I loaded 20 rounds with a Hornady 150 gr. FMJBT over 47 gr. H4895, and then 20 rounds with a Hornady 168 gr. HPBT Match projectile over 46 gr. H4895.

I took those rounds to the range Sunday afternoon along with a clip loaded with PPU .30-06 M1 Garand loads. Off the bench, the 150 gr. reloads printed very much the same as the PPU loads at 100 yards with 5 round groups, and felt very similar in recoil. The 168's shot very well, the group was basically cut in half and the recoil seemed to be more of a "push" compared to the 150's. I felt like I wasn't doing the rifle justice having a hard time seeing the target in the shade. After 4 clicks right of windage adjustment I was zeroed in. Shot another set of groups again at 50 yards since I could see the target much better, and the 168 gr. loads shot VERY nicely, 5 shots within I'd say about an inch and a quarter. Ended up shooting the rest of my rounds at various steel plates between 100 and 200 yards, way too much fun.

What's everyone else running for loads with their M1 Garand? I think I'll be doing some ladder work with the 168's next, and I've got a GI sling on order.
Sweet! I'm using the Nosler 168 gr BTHPs over 45 or 46 grains of IMR-4064. They shot WAY better than the Hornady 150's. And I'm only shooting 120 yards max.

Sweet! I'm using the Nosler 168 gr BTHPs over 45 or 46 grains of IMR-4064. They shot WAY better than the Hornady 150's. And I'm only shooting 120 yards max.
When the hornady 150s where 1/2 the price of nosler/sierra they where a ok deal. Now that they are almost the same $ they are not worth it. Not even for plinking ammo

I use 168 gr exclusively with M1, chiefly BTHP from Nosler (Custom Comp) or Hornady, whichever I can find a better deal on. I use 150s on 76.x54R (along with 110rn).

When the hornady 150s where 1/2 the price of nosler/sierra they where a ok deal. Now that they are almost the same $ they are not worth it. Not even for plinking ammo
Yup. Though that particular vendor you told me about that sells lots of Nosler bullets, doesn't seem to have them for sale anymore. Weird.

Seems like the prices have jumped up too. Glad I bought a couple thousand when I did. That will last me for the forseeable future at the rate I shoot my K31, Garand, and A3....

Yup. Though that particular vendor you told me about that sells lots of Nosler bullets, doesn't seem to have them for sale anymore. Weird.

Seems like the prices have jumped up too. Glad I bought a couple thousand when I did. That will last me for the forseeable future at the rate I shoot my K31, Garand, and A3....
Yes always stock up when you feel the price is good. 2 years ago nosler had a sale and a coupon code and free shipping that made stocking up deep a no brainer
I got 7000 bullets for a average of 14 cents each saving anywhere from 8-15 cents per bullet.
I grabbed 223,308,8mm in various weights and type. Should last me a good amount of time
I’m still working on using up the primers I bought pre sandy hook for $12.50/1000 shipped. I bought so many I need to store at friends houses with FIDs to not be in violation of fire code.

Yes always stock up when you feel the price is good. 2 years ago nosler had a sale and a coupon code and free shipping that made stocking up deep a no brainer
I got 7000 bullets for a average of 14 cents each saving anywhere from 8-15 cents per bullet.
I grabbed 223,308,8mm in various weights and type. Should last me a good amount of time
I’m still working on using up the primers I bought pre sandy hook for $12.50/1000 shipped. I bought so many I need to store at friends houses with FIDs to not be in violation of fire code.
That's awesome. I bought a couple thousand from Widener's back when they shipped to MA and had good prices....

Take a look at the vendor's website that specializes in Nosler bullets that you told me about a couple years ago. They don't seem to have the 30 cal Nosler CC's anymore.

Been working on my attempt at a bulk pistol brass prep setup.

So far I am using a 4 cu ft concrete mixer (currently just water, soap & lemishine). Brass is decent, but by no means perfect after 60 minus of tumbling. Just ordered 25 lbs of stainless pins to see if I can get down to 30-45min with better results. Got my roll sizer set up & connected to my case feeder - took a bit of fiddling to get it working consistently, but I am super happy now that I have it worked out.

Need to figure out a better way to dry it - currently using a smaller de-hydrator that works great for < 1k pieces of pistol brass. Considering a larger food dehydrator - but also curious to see if a cheap(ish)/used electric smoker would do the trick as well.

Also rigged up some strainers using steel lathe to help with media separation.

A bunch of work, but fun and rewarding - albeit kinda insane.

Last edited:

So far I am using a 4 cu ft concrete mixer (currently just water, soap & lemishine). Brass is decent, but by no means perfect after 60 minus of tumbling. Just ordered 25 lbs of stainless pins to see if I can get down to 30-45min with better results. Got my roll sizer set up & connected to my case feeder - took a bit of fiddling to get it working consistently, but I am super happy now that I have it worked out.

Need to figure out a better way to dry it - currently using a smaller de-hydrator that works great for < 1k pieces of pistol brass. Considering a larger food dehydrator - but also curious to see if a cheap(ish)/used electric smoker would do the trick as well.

When I first started out, I used to handwash each piece of brass :)

Then I got a tumbler 50% off on a Black Friday sale.

My biggest slowdown/pain point is trimming, by far.

That's awesome. I bought a couple thousand from Widener's back when they shipped to MA and had good prices....

Take a look at the vendor's website that specializes in Nosler bullets that you told me about a couple years ago. They don't seem to have the 30 cal Nosler CC's anymore.
The old wideners and classic are missed for sure.

Which army are you reloading for??

They are often sold out this time of year. The nationals where last week and a few months up to that it seems they sell out.

I run 44.5 grains of Varget under just about any bullet. Seems to work well.
If your going to do some ladder testing start low in powder charge per your data , might surprise you.

Back
Top Bottom