What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Got all the stuff I needed to load 50 Beowulf for my BIL and made three test rounds for the next time he's up here (that's all the brass I scavenged from his last trip). 41g of IMR 4227, CCI #350, Speer 325g JHP. He's paying $1.50 per round for factory stuff; once the dies are paid off (which will only take about 40 rounds) I can do it for just over 50 cents per round.

I annoyed the mail carrier today when my 10k shipment showed up! 5 boxes, double boxed with 2 1k in each. Precision Delta: Great company with every better customer service. Anyone looking for bullets was thinking of selling some or possibly a group buy.

Attachments

• 6F31AF3A-0A76-4E5E-8421-198929361960.jpeg
    6F31AF3A-0A76-4E5E-8421-198929361960.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I annoyed the mail carrier today when my 10k shipment showed up! 5 boxes, double boxed with 2 1k in each. Precision Delta: Great company with every better customer service. Anyone looking for bullets was thinking of selling some or possibly a group buy.
Nice reminds me of when I was shipping wheel weights off to trade for lead shot. The guy at the PO bitched like a little girl. Mean while the old lady would come over and nudge him aside. " watch out Nancy I got work to do" then she told me that I could have the carrier pick these up at my house vs bringing them in. That driver was not happy either that I pushed the limits of his required lifting abilities.

Cast about 10 pounds of 405 grain .458
cast about 10 pounds of lyman 358156
lubed all of the 358156
size all of the 405 grain .458 down to .453
wrapped half of those 405 grains with paper patches
loaded about 115 rounds of subsonic 300 blackout with 198 grain spire point lyman 311365s coated with hi-tek
loaded 100 rounds of 9mm with some MP 356130BB hi-tek bullets
sized and lubed a small batch of maybe 5 pounds of MP 454-200HP that I had sitting around
did the last step of prep on a few hundred pieces of 300 blackout

Just hope I can blast it all at the range this week so I can have more brass to clean and reload next week.

Cranked out 300 rounds of 9MM before breakfast.

Running a little low on 9MM brass. Anybody have any experience with Elite Reloading ? They sell 1x brass for a decent price. Not normally my way to pay for brass but obviously I'm shooting more than I'm picking up these days ;-)

Running a little low on 9MM brass. Anybody have any experience with Elite Reloading ? They sell 1x brass for a decent price. Not normally my way to pay for brass but obviously I'm shooting more than I'm picking up these days ;-)

Did you check the swap thread? I think there was some 9mm brass on there.

How much do you need? I have three 3 lb coffee containers of decapped and cleaned brass - more than I need at this time.

There's always plenty of offerings on Armslist. Midstate in Coventry, RI has range brass for sale, too.
Free is best, but that was yesteryear. Midstate lists 9mm for $15 for 500; .30-06/.308: $15 per 100; about as good as I've seen for retail.
Midstate Guns Shop

How much do you need? I have three 3 lb coffee containers of decapped and cleaned brass - more than I need at this time.

I appreciate the offer but I'm looking for at least a 1000 and I woudn't take that away from anyones stash.

Shooting matches and not scavenging brass has finally caught up with me ;-)

I appreciate the offer but I'm looking for at least a 1000 and I woudn't take that away from anyones stash.

Shooting matches and not scavenging brass has finally caught up with me ;-)
Yup I don’t scavenge brass at matches either. I just buy it online once I get low. The usual vendor I use is sold out. If you use Facebook there’s a few good reloading groups where you can buy and sell brass and other components. Reloading Central is the group with the most members (60,000+)

Ugh. I just bought 2k of 9mm today for a training class because I've been buried in work the last few weeks. I really need to start allotting time for reloading again.

I just worked up a load for a 200 yard egg shoot. The rifle is a slow twist .223. The load is a 52 grain Sierra Match King, 27 grains of Winchester 748, a CCI magnum primer and once fired brass. The load shoots under 1/2 MOA and that's plenty good enough if I don't screw up. Mark, which pistol did you buy? I have the Sig Tac Ops in 10 MM and it's a great shooter. It has all the features I wanted and came with 4 magazines.

I bought a 10mm 1911 last week so I needed to cast and load some ammo.

This morning I cast around 2k 180gr bullets and coated about 1k of them. I only loaded 100 rounds since I ran out of time but it'll give me enough to head to the range and test out the new gun!!

View attachment 235703

View attachment 235704

How are you liking the coating? What alloy are you using for 10mm?

The coating is great. I am having trouble with a 9mm 1911 still getting some heavy leading. I think the bullets might be sized too big. I've been sizing to.357 but need to slug the barrel and see what I get.

I'm using range scrap with some tin and lino thrown in, didn't calculate anything.

The coating is great. I am having trouble with a 9mm 1911 still getting some heavy leading. I think the bullets might be sized too big. I've been sizing to.357 but need to slug the barrel and see what I get.

I'm using range scrap with some tin and lino thrown in, didn't calculate anything.
I use coated blue bullets that are sized to .355" and they shoot well out of my DW 1911. I don’t think .357" is necessary unless you have a really oversized bore?

I don’t cast or coat, but I’ve shot ~9000+ of the blue bullets and they shoot very well with no leading. Two swipes with a brush and cleaning patch and the bore is spotless.

Snap a pic of the inside of your chamber.
Is there a distinct step at the beginning of the rifling?
It’s common place in 1911s for some reason to have a step instead of a nice leade cut into the rifling.
It will actually shave off a tiny ring of lead and leave it there to get ironed in by the next bullet.
There are a lot of good threads and pics of this on castboolits forum. I had that issue with my S&W and had Greg Derr ream a proper tapered throat into the barrel.
I think dougguy or something like that ok castboolits will do the job and he also reams cylinder throats on revolvers. Encase you have inconsistent or undersized throats.

Could be the alloy/lube more than size.
Where is the lead building up.
Did you slug your throat and bore?

Cast up some Lee 356-120-TC
20180606_142630.jpg
Brand new mold but only had about 20 rejects before it started throwing keepers.
Bullets dropped at .356 and 125 gr so I'm going to try my hand at Hitec coating these.

Cast up some Lee 356-120-TC
View attachment 236109
Brand new mold but only had about 20 rejects before it started throwing keepers.
Bullets dropped at .356 and 125 gr so I'm going to try my hand at Hitec coating these.
Nice!
I have that mould and it drops beautiful bullet really fast.
The drop big enough for my 38 too.
Work great in 9.

Back
Top Bottom