What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I’m new to reloading and haven’t taken any classes yet but why don’t they make a 5.56 headspace case guage but do sell .223 gauges ?

The .223 Remington Headspace case gauge is suitable for 5.56x45mm since the external case dimensions are the same. It's the difference in chamber cutting and powder charges that make them different. To my knowledge, Accurate is the only powder manufacturer that actually lists separate load data for .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO (pages 28 - 32):
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web-1.pdf

Last edited:
Have you tried it with large primers? I got one and it works awesome for small primers but large primers flip as they drop in the tube no matter what I try.
Had to clean the large primer hole also. The problem seems to be the hole does not line up well with the tube top. I reamed SLIGHTLY the black plastic filler tube top then made sure the hole in the tray aligned properly. Sounds like a lot but it took less than a minute. If your tray and tube don't lock together easily you need to trim. Works fine now.

I’m new to reloading and haven’t taken any classes yet but why don’t they make a 5.56 headspace case guage but do sell .223 gauges ?
the head space is the same.... 1.4636" min 1.4736max NATO has adational Field spec which will be slightly larger than SAAMI max

the difference in the chambers is leade/throat demensions. Origianlly 223 was small short light bullets. Gov needed a slightly longer leade/throat for the different types of ammo such as tracers that have a longer bullet profile.

The .223 Remington Headspace case gauge is suitable for 5.56x45mm since the external case dimensions are the same. It's the difference in chamber cutting and powder charges that make them different. To my knowledge, Accurate is the only powder manufacturer that actually lists separate load data for .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO (pages 28 - 32):
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web-1.pdf
Nosler does this now also

My 9th edition Hornady manual list 5.56 NATO loads for 55, 60, 68, 70, 75, and 80 grain projectiles.

Hmmm...you mean I have to get some load manuals printed in the 21st century!
i love old manuals, see your probably already forgot more than most of us have learned.
Growing up if someone had a 223 rem bolt gun 50 grain bullets loaded to 3400fps where the "heavy" loads.
If I can find them I will post pics of a few boxes of 223 my dad snagged at K Mart on sale back in the early 80s 35 grains at 3650 fps now these bullets are "skinny" vs the M193 so what happens now is the ogive of the 55 M193 ends up jammed into the lands with a already "maxed" out powder charge this increases the chamber pressure to above safe levels. Also with bolt actions it's easy to cram the cartridge into the lands and with leverage from the bolt set the bullet back deeper into the case.
This is where Bill Wylde of Wylde chamber fame stepped in and created a chamber cut a tad different to accept a large variety of bullet weights and profiles.

It's funny if you told my dad 30 years ago we would be plugging 80 grain bullets from a 223 he would have laughed and said " that's what 243 win is for son"

Last edited:
Finally loaded up some 5.56 using LC brass, Hornady 75 gr BTHPs, and TAC powder and some with RE15 powder.

Have yet to really see how well my budget AR will group. Only shooting 100 yards. I’ve had the bullets and powder for well over a year and haven’t had a chance to load them until today. Hoping to test them tomorrow.

Finally loaded up some 5.56 using LC brass, Hornady 75 gr BTHPs, and TAC powder and some with RE15 powder.

Have yet to really see how well my budget AR will group. Only shooting 100 yards. I’ve had the bullets and powder for well over a year and haven’t had a chance to load them until today. Hoping to test them tomorrow.

Whats your oal with those and are you hand feeding these?

Last edited:
Been cleaning up around the yard and under the deck in hopes to get the smelting pot going tonight.... Pushed myself a little hard to get so much done , now I don't think I can stay awake!

Rolled 100 .44 specials.

QNNZMXI.jpg

RJLLekm.jpg

New to this, anyone know where to get? 2F GOEX Black Powder

My son has been looking for some. Bass Pro is out and Cabelas doesn't carry it. I'd try Hunter's Rendezvous

What about Shooters Outpost or Al’s in Derry?

I doubt Glenn’s in N. Reading would carry black powder. Has plenty of smokeless though.

You could call Glen he might be able to order it for you.

There hasn't been much in the past few months and there is a small 'product-run' with a recent NES GB. [rockon]

I tried loading some 75gr months ago and could not seat them before they dropped down inside the case. However, I just looked at the box and realize I have the 75gr ELD match.
Wow. I haven’t encountered that but these are the standard BTHPs not the ELD’s.

7.2g of Unique just short of the Kieth load of 7.5g with the LSWC. I will use it till the 3" barrel buffs in. The HP has a longer waist for more grip and seems to be a bit more accurate than the Berry's FP. But then I'm no pistolero.

21 feet at 150 rounds on the new .44

LtdDuvp.jpg

I have a lot of work to do.

I've got a can of what I think you're talking about, but you'll have to come get it (SE CT). 50 yard pistol and 100 meter rifle range onsite,
so come and bust some water-filled cans while here. Heck, do an informal PPC match, if you'd like.

PPC1a.jpg BP1.jpg
New to this, anyone know where to get? 2F GOEX Black Powder

Last edited:
Rolled 100 .44 specials.

My brother likes the 208g LWC in the .44, but it appears as though this mold is no longer offered by Lyman (I'm quite sure it is a Lyman mold). I'll have to call him and verify what the mold number is.
Lee offers something close... 430-215-WC
44 Wadcutters : Matts Bullets

The Lee 430-310 RF is a fine whacker load in the Magnum.

I've got a can of what I think you're talking about, but you'll have to come get it (SE CT). 50 yard pistol and 100 meter rifle range onsite,
so come and bust some water-filled cans while here. Heck, do an informal PPC match, if you'd like.
I've got a couple cans also, I'm Norwood area.

Thank you, both! I can't do any shooting for the unforeseen future. Scheduled for a fourth surgery due to arm injury in a few weeks. I'll let you know soon.
+1, Matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom