What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I finally remembered to renew my storage license. Also was able to educate the deputy fire chief as to what the state limits are. He had me at half the limit and though it was the max. A quick showing of the CMR and I'm now at 10k / 48lbs

Finished prep of 600 .270 win cases

Did some thinking about getting into casting boolits.

Cast bullets for the .270? Seems most .270 shooters want full-power loads, but it can handle cast, too. In New England there seems to be little love for the .270, so .277" jacketed bullets can usually be found in the discount bins, cheap and plentiful. That's about all my LGS has available for NOS/discounted fodder.

Cast bullets for the .270? Seems most .270 shooters want full-power loads, but it can handle cast, too. In New England there seems to be little love for the .270, so .277" jacketed bullets can usually be found in the discount bins, cheap and plentiful. That's about all my LGS has available for NOS/discounted fodder.

Sorry, misled u there. I use winter to do all case prep. .223/ .308/ ‘06 anything I shoot. Like to have over a years worth of any brass of each caliber

For casting my first thought is 45-70 and for muzzle loader

Sorry, misled u there. I use winter to do all case prep. .223/ .308/ ‘06 anything I shoot. Like to have over a years worth of any brass of each caliber

Not a problem. You may, of course, do as you like. I've found many sources for inexpensive coated bullets make it not worth casting my own. Unfortunately, my preferred source doesn't have anything in .277". He does have a few .458" offerings however. PM enroute.

Casting is great and affords many options especially for the big cals. I have molds for every cal I shoot but I don't cast or shoot cast in everything . 270 if you just want a fun 200 yard round and you enjoy the rifle go for it.

Set up the dies and loaded some cartridges on a new to me Lyman/Ideal 38 special tong too.
Pretty awesome.
I just need to find the proper Lee scoop or modify one to pack into the case and I’m good to go.

I’m running low. I’m going to skip the reloading room next chance I have and do some more casting.
Need me some. 30/30 projectiles cast nice and hard.
Either that or it’s time to start paper patching them......
Hmmmmm

I said screw it, just sat on the pile of shit in front of the bench and started sizing 308 for the M1
Might try 110 grain fodder this time around.

Been reloading .45ACP on the SDB a lot lately, have a couple thousand done. Damn it goes quick with that press. Setup the Lee turret with the index rod removed for a big run of .357SIG today.

Sized and trimmed a bunch of 30-06 cases. Got more of Norm’s coated 170 gr bullets arriving tomorrow.

Brass prep blows...

Cast a bunch of 356135 grain MP slick sided. Coated with Hi-Tek black gold.
Cast a handful of Lee 457-405 sized and lubed with carnauba red
Cast a small handful of Lee 314-90 or so TC for 32 revolvers. These will be tumble lubed in BLL and loaded in the 30/30 for powder puff loads.

Yup.

Nice golden colored bullets arrived today. Will match the color of the brass lol. Now I just need to finish priming and expanding the cases....
View attachment 226591
like to see hoe they do at 200 yards! I might have to sell off some of my lead as the local scrap guy we use is offering good money for ignots.
I like to cast my own but these prices cast , coated and gas checked are hard to beat at the moment

like to see hoe they do at 200 yards! I might have to sell off some of my lead as the local scrap guy we use is offering good money for ignots.
I like to cast my own but these prices cast , coated and gas checked are hard to beat at the moment

They’re prob moving fairly slow at 200 yards but might still be reasonably accurate? My range is only 100 yards so I can’t confirm. One of these days I’ll come down your way to shoot. I was at Old Colony last month for their IDPA match. Nice club.

And yes the price for these bullets is pretty damn good (14 cents, would be cheaper if I bought more). Makes no financial sense for me to buy casting equipment. Though I acknowledge it’s a great hobby and really opens up your choices for types of bullets etc.

They’re prob moving fairly slow at 200 yards but might still be reasonably accurate? My range is only 100 yards so I can’t confirm. One of these days I’ll come down your way to shoot. I was at Old Colony last month for their IDPA match. Nice club.

And yes the price for these bullets is pretty damn good (14 cents, would be cheaper if I bought more). Makes no financial sense for me to buy casting equipment. Though I acknowledge it’s a great hobby and really opens up your choices for types of bullets etc.
My cast loads I use at cmp are a touch over 1600fps at 12' from muzzle. Have a few trinkets shooting them in the 1903a3 and will hold the 10 ring when I put them there.
Here's the OCSA cmp schedules
2018 OCSA Pembroke ma M1 garand and cmp games schedule

Planning on upgrading from a 550b to a 650 in the next few months so I've been doing some prepwork.

Purchased a starlight press lighting system. LED's that look to provide much more light than the single source through the toolhead center hole I have now.

Starlight 650 Light

they also make ones for the 550 and 1050

Also purchased some toolheads for the 650 from Jofer that look awesome

Jofer 650 toolheads and other stuff

-Kev

Back
Top Bottom