• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Totally my fault for not giving my undivided attention, but yes, I counted my fingers and blinked a few times.... very lucky

Makes you really think and apriciate the power of the science going on in those little primers. After you realise your ok.

Whoa!

I'll take that as a lesson learned that I didn't have to pay the price for. Since you took the pictures and made the post, I'm guessing you still have all of your fingers.

nothing came through the outer tube, luckily it did it's job. The follower shot straight up and hit my shop light and broke a bulb (big mess). It left a nice dent in the fixture, don't know where it went off to after that, still can't find it.

When looking at the press after the incident. I noticed that the decaping pin was bent. So I think that I was trying to push a primer into a case that was not deprimed yet. I had some corn cob media giving me friction on the press, so thats probably why I didn't notice the extra friction when that case did not deprime. That was my big mistake, I thought I could cut corners and do two steps at once. After this, it's back to the correct way, it's safer.

I setup my new Dillon xl650 with case feeder and mr. Bulletfeed. It was a giant pain in the ass but it's working now. This press is gonna take a while to learn. I'm used to my 550

nothing came through the outer tube, luckily it did it's job. The follower shot straight up and hit my shop light and broke a bulb (big mess). It left a nice dent in the fixture, don't know where it went off to after that, still can't find it.

When looking at the press after the incident. I noticed that the decaping pin was bent. So I think that I was trying to push a primer into a case that was not deprimed yet. I had some corn cob media giving me friction on the press, so thats probably why I didn't notice the extra friction when that case did not deprime. That was my big mistake, I thought I could cut corners and do two steps at once. After this, it's back to the correct way, it's safer.

Damn, so just to learn from you experience, do you think it was a slamming force that set it off, ie, you quickly accelerated the new primer into the case with a quick forward press on the handle, or do you think it was just over pressure (ie, just slow, deliberate, continuous force forward on the handle?)

whoa, never seen anything like that, jesus, that's nasty, but yeah, it can happen. glad you're ok and lived to tell about it.

Damn, so just to learn from you experience, do you think it was a slamming force that set it off, ie, you quickly accelerated the new primer into the case with a quick forward press on the handle, or do you think it was just over pressure (ie, just slow, deliberate, continuous force forward on the handle?)

to much force, i don't typically go fast when reloading

Loaded up a hundred.powder puff 357 mag while doing laundry last night. Indoor range is a no go for Magnum calibers and this load almost feels like a 22.

Filled my primer pickup tube, raised it up and bumped my hand as I set it in place -- sending 100 small pistol primers all over the gdmn place.
Picked them all up and finished loading 300 rounds of 115 grn 9mm.

Filled my primer pickup tube, raised it up and bumped my hand as I set it in place -- sending 100 small pistol primers all over the gdmn place.
Picked them all up and finished loading 300 rounds of 115 grn 9mm.

I had a similar experience last night.
Sizing some coated cast bullets with a lee sizer... they must have stacked up and pushed the lid off..... couple handfuls of 44 bullets covered the whole damn floor. Good times.

I had a similar experience last night.
Sizing some coated cast bullets with a lee sizer... they must have stacked up and pushed the lid off..... couple handfuls of 44 bullets covered the whole damn floor. Good times.

Or when you get a nifty little wooden box of ACME bullets and the box breaks as you open the USPS box [sad2]

Crammed one of those reduced capacity 9mm cases up into the sizer. Tugged on it for a while, but it's still in there, and looking like it's going to stay in there.

Made 900 rounds of 9mm, then in the last 100, my dillon powder cop goes off, it threw 2 charges of 1.4 back to back in between 4.0 thought maybe the power cop hit the powder bar on my 1050, then it happened again after adjusting the powder cop position. Noticed the spring on my powder bar return rod, the spring tightener appeared to have losened , which would prevent the powder bar from returning 100%. I've loaded
25,000+ and never had anything like this occur. Definitely counting my blessings with the dillon power cop. I check every 100, rounds and some in between, i never would have found this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Switched the LNL over to load 30-06. My first time making reduced loads for the A3 using 2400 powder and a 168 Gr Nosler BTHP. Maybe this weekend I'll have time to test them so I can make more for my grandfather to try out in the spring.

I switched the 550 over to 9mm from 45 last night. Got everything set and ran the first 100 through, I am making a batch of 1000 over the next few days. My 9 year old did about 60 of them with my supervision :)

Switched the LNL over to load 30-06. My first time making reduced loads for the A3 using 2400 powder and a 168 Gr Nosler BTHP. Maybe this weekend I'll have time to test them so I can make more for my grandfather to try out in the spring.

You can run reduced loads with H4895 and trailboss also.
Just be careful with 2400 and the powder charge. It doesn't take much to get into the danger zone with 2400.
That said I run 2400 with a 165 grain cast flat nose bullet in my A3 nice and soft. I need to run at the 600 yard mark to be on at 200 yards.
Reduced loads are fun and with the heavy a3

You can run reduced loads with H4895 and trailboss also.
Just be careful with 2400 and the powder charge. It doesn't take much to get into the danger zone with 2400.
That said I run 2400 with a 165 grain cast flat nose bullet in my A3 nice and soft. I need to run at the 600 yard mark to be on at 200 yards.
Reduced loads are fun and with the heavy a3

I don't have any H4895 or Trailboss on hand but got about 7 pounds of 2400.

The Lyman manual had data for a cast 170 gr bullet using 2400. 18.5 gr - 29.5 gr was the min - max. I "figured/assumed" 20 gr might be a safe charge to try? I loaded them to 3.25" while Lyman suggests 3.013" - granted its a completely different bullet.

Flame me if I sound stupid/unsafe for doing that lol.

Last edited:
I don't have any H4895 or Trailboss on hand but got about 7 pounds of 2400.

The Lyman manual had data for a cast 170 gr bullet using 2400. 18.5 gr - 29.5 gr was the min - max. I "figured/assumed" 20 gr might be a safe charge to try? I loaded them to 3.25" while Lyman suggests 3.013" - granted its a completely different bullet.

Flame me if I sound like stupid/unsafe for doing that lol.

I like 2400 for reduced loads I think your info is not to far off. 18-20 grains is going to be OK. I think 2400 gets a bit punchy over 20 grains.
You can also run unique

Wow now I see what I've been missing with these reduced 30-06 loads! That was a lot of fun to shoot out of the A3. Especially hitting water jugs at 120 yards.

They were soft recoiling but still far from shooting an AR. I'd like to lower the charge a bit to see how it feels - safely of course. If Lyman had a starting charge of 18.5 gr with a 170 gr lead bullet, maybe I could bump it down to 19 gr and call it a day.

Plenty accurate too. This was at 25 yards since I didn't feel like tracking through the snow to the 100 yard berm. I had to aim about 6-8" high until I adjusted the rear sight and had it dead on.

d9f3d8bb0637ef30a5136abe3760861a.png

I had been saving my 2400 powder for my 357 mag loads but now it will have to go to 30-06 as well.

I started making reduced loads for the 30/06 about 25 years ago when my son was a little boy and wanted to shoot something bigger than the .22. The load was the Lyman 31141 ahead of 20 grains of SR4759. I also loaded the same bullet ahead of 15 grains in the 30/30. The loads were quite accurate and pleasant to shoot.

I started making reduced loads for the 30/06 about 25 years ago when my son was a little boy and wanted to shoot something bigger than the .22. The load was the Lyman 31141 ahead of 20 grains of SR4759. I also loaded the same bullet ahead of 15 grains in the 30/30. The loads were quite accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Nice. Yeah I'm making these for my 86 year old grandfather. He should enjoy these much more than the HXP or PPU Garand ammo.

This has me wondering if there is reduced load data for 7.5x55 swiss. That would be fun in the K31.

In the newest handloader magazine they have reduced rifle loads.
They list a 7X57 with a 150 cast bullet and 14.5 grains of unique. I know it's not the 7.5 Swiss but I'm thinking based off of case capacities you could work something up pretty easy.
They list 1700+ FPS with a .75" group at 100 yards.
Or you could look up C.E. Harris "The Load" 13 grains of red dot with a nominal weight cast bullet in normal modern military cases (30-06, Mausers, .308)
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

In the newest handloader magazine they have reduced rifle loads.
They list a 7X57 with a 150 cast bullet and 14.5 grains of unique. I know it's not the 7.5 Swiss but I'm thinking based off of case capacities you could work something up pretty easy.
They list 1700+ FPS with a .75" group at 100 yards.
Or you could look up C.E. Harris "The Load" 13 grains of red dot with a nominal weight cast bullet in normal modern military cases (30-06, Mausers, .308)
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Thanks. Yeah I'll have to research loads for the K31.

I think I loaded 3200 rounds today. All 9mm.

2200+ 147gr Blues over 3.3gr N320 at 1.145", 250 135gr Blues over 3.6gr N320 at 1.145" (leftover sample pack), 500 147gr JHP (unknown.. bought them as pulls) seated them at 1.085" to cover the pull/crimp mark and used 4.7gr Power Pistol, and lastly 250 147gr HST pulls (1.134" over 5.1gr Power Pistol).

I'm officially out of 9mm brass, haha. I still have like 150 124gr GDHP kicking around that I bought years ago -- I was hoping to have enough brass left to load those up today [crying]

I think I loaded 3200 rounds today. All 9mm.

2200+ 147gr Blues over 3.3gr N320 at 1.145", 250 135gr Blues over 3.6gr N320 at 1.145" (leftover sample pack), 500 147gr JHP (unknown.. bought them as pulls) seated them at 1.085" to cover the pull/crimp mark and used 4.7gr Power Pistol, and lastly 250 147gr HST pulls (1.134" over 5.1gr Power Pistol).

I'm officially out of 9mm brass, haha. I still have like 150 124gr GDHP kicking around that I bought years ago -- I was hoping to have enough brass left to load those up today [crying]

Damn. You were busy today. You must be sore lol.

Back
Top Bottom