What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Nice. Yeah I'm making these for my 86 year old grandfather. He should enjoy these much more than the HXP or PPU Garand ammo.

This has me wondering if there is reduced load data for 7.5x55 swiss. That would be fun in the K31.

If you want to get into reduced loads try H4895 .
Also trail boss is silly light and is very bulky and you can fill the case to the bottom of the bullet with out fear of over charging.

Crammed one of those reduced capacity 9mm cases up into the sizer. Tugged on it for a while, but it's still in there, and looking like it's going to stay in there.

You might be able to run a sheet metal screw up into it, then put a pair of pliars on the screw.
Obviously triple check to make sure that you don't have a live primer in it, (you shouldn't at that stage).

Crammed one of those reduced capacity 9mm cases up into the sizer. Tugged on it for a while, but it's still in there, and looking like it's going to stay in there.
Pull the decapping pin, mount the die upside-down to use the press to push the case out.
Use the largest diameter rod that fits through the threads and put a shell holder in the ram (minimize the chance of damage).

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

If you want to get into reduced loads try H4895 .
Also trail boss is silly light and is very bulky and you can fill the case to the bottom of the bullet with out fear of over charging.

Hmm. I'd like to avoid buying more powder since I'm already overflowing with it at the moment. But I suppose another pound or two wouldn't kill me.

I saw Trail boss at Cabelas a couple weeks ago. Don't remember if they had 4895. I'll see if they have any left this week.

Edit: wow, I just looked up Trailboss on the burn rate chart. Didn't realize it's that fast burning. Never used it before.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'd like to avoid buying more powder since I'm already overflowing with it at the moment. But I suppose another pound or two wouldn't kill me.

I saw Trail boss at Cabelas a couple weeks ago. Don't remember if they had 4895. I'll see if they have any left this week.

Edit: wow, I just looked up Trailboss on the burn rate chart. Didn't realize it's that fast burning. Never used it before.

It's also very bulky and next to impossible to over charge...

Still doing .30 carbine brass prep...bought a Redding primer pocket uniformer in Small Rifle. When I'm done with those, I'll get started on the 5.56 brass.

You can't have too much reloading components

ASP saw a deal on a 9 drawer bench top tool chest at Home Depot and was kind enough to pass it on to me.
I spent the day cleaning out boxes and bins of miscellaneous crap and tried to organize some of it in the new box.
So nice to get stuff off of shelves and into a proper tool box.

Now I need the rolling base for it so I will have storage for all of my moulds. They add up fast

Pull the decapping pin, mount the die upside-down to use the press to push the case out.
Use the largest diameter rod that fits through the threads and put a shell holder in the ram (minimize the chance of damage).

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

You might be able to run a sheet metal screw up into it, then put a pair of pliars on the screw.
Obviously triple check to make sure that you don't have a live primer in it, (you shouldn't at that stage).

Good ideas. Thanks. I went the Amazon route and ammo was falling out of the old 550 2 evenings later. That old die owes me less than nothing, but I'm pretty much just about up to speed on the brandy new Southwest Ind. Proto Trak at work, and at this point I'm almost positive I can just cut the damn thing out of there with touching the carbide, or the pin. Modern technology is just mind boggling sometimes, and it doesn't suck to work for a guy who is a complete tool and equipment junkie. [wink]

Last edited:
Ran about 1700 rounds of .40SW today.

I also threw out my M-style powder funnel expander that I got from GS Customs. No matter what I did, there is no way to get the press to run remotely smooth with that thing, compared to the Dillon funnel. I tried polishing it, lubing the cases, and adjusting it as shallow as possible. I just don't see the point of it -- it makes the progressive unusable as you have to slam nearly every single case out of it which spills powder everywhere and prevents you from building any sort of rhythm.

Blue Bullets coated lead seat fine with no deformation or loss of coating using the Dillon funnel.

Good ideas. Thanks. I went the Amazon route and ammo was falling out of the old 550 2 evenings later. That old die owes me less than nothing, but I'm pretty much just about up to speed on the brandy new Southwest Ind. Proto Trak at work, and at this point I'm almost positive I can just cut the damn thing out of there with touching the carbide, or the pin. Modern technology is just mind boggling sometimes, and it doesn't suck to work for a guy who is a complete tool and equipment junkie. [wink]

didn't see you were loading on a 550 - can't really mount the die upside-down on a progressive.

If you have access to a machine shop just put some jaw protectors on a bench vise and pound that case out with a drift.

However, if you do go for it on the Proto - get video

Figured I would load up some 30-06 for the new garand so I'll have more to shoot tomorrow. All I have for brass right now is a few FC cases from the american eagle stuff I shot, and a big box of range pickups from over the years... Found a bunch all with the same headstamp and some kind of green sealant around the primer... got the die set up and everything.. broke the decapping pin on the first one, look inside and its that damn russian kind of primer.... short reloading session.

Installed the Everglades Ammo Dillon 1050 press primer hold down die. Works great and helps seat each primer perfectly. Dillon should include this with thier presses... Then I ran a 1K rounds of 9mm.

Been busy the last few days.

-Loaded up some 300 grain coated 45 Colt. Had some primed brass on the bench so loaded up an existing load with some 255 grain plated fp.

-A new 38 special load.

-A new 357 Mag load.

Then things went sideways.

I switched to 45acp (which I havent loaded in a while) and realized that all the dies except the powder drop were partially backed out. Have no idea why and no recollection of doing that, so I had to start from square one and adjust them all.

Loaded up a couple of primer tubes, first one had no issues. The second one was missing the little cotter pin at the end, which I didnt realize until I turned it over to load into the press and I lost a good third of the primers all over the place. Picked those up and reloaded the tube and got back to business. Had an annoying amount of small pistol primed brass mixed in with the LP as well.

All in all, eventually got around 200 loaded, not exactly a relaxing afternoon though. Gremlins must of got into the reloading area I guess.

Figured I would load up some 30-06 for the new garand so I'll have more to shoot tomorrow. All I have for brass right now is a few FC cases from the american eagle stuff I shot, and a big box of range pickups from over the years... Found a bunch all with the same headstamp and some kind of green sealant around the primer... got the die set up and everything.. broke the decapping pin on the first one, look inside and its that damn russian kind of primer.... short reloading session.

You need to inspect your brass b4 sitting down at your press. Segregate the berdan-primed brass to avoid your current dilemma. Hiram Berdan is American, but many foreign manufacturers adopted his system.
If this brass utilizes the .217" diameter primers, it's perfectly reloadable, but most don't figure it's worth the extra effort.

FWIW, I've found the French '06 brass virtually impossible to decap.

Last edited:
Found some Trail Boss at Cabelas in Hartford just now. That stuff ain't cheap - $18 for 9 ounces (after-tax it works out to be like $34 per pound). Oh well, looking forward to loading some for 30-06.

Last edited:
Found some Trail Boss at Cabelas in Hartford just now. That stuff ain't cheap - $18 for 9 ounces (after-tax it works out to be like $34 per pound). Oh well, looking forward to loading some for 30-06.

its very bulky and you dont need a lot... most places i see 1lbs of powder at 28-35$/# anyway.
with my 30-06 loads i use trail boss and some pulled 150s runing 15 grains. fun water bottle blasters. they are only running about 1200fps or so

comes to about .07 cents per round for powder.

Last edited:
its very bulky and you dont need a lot... most places i see 1lbs of powder at 28-35$/# anyway.
with my 30-06 loads i use trail boss and some pulled 150s runing 15 grains. fun water bottle blasters. they are only running about 1200fps or so

Yeah true. I can't wait to load some.

I'm curious how the "cheerio" shaped grains will meter through my Hornady measure.

Yesterday, made more test loads for .45 ACP, so I have 5.8, 6.0, 6.2, and 6.4gr of CFE Pistol, using CCI large pistol primer, and 230gr Berry bullets. I may make 5.4 and 5.6gr loads as well. Saturday, I got a weight bag for bench rest, that I'm going to use as a forearm rest, so that I can take some of the human factor out of the accuracy measurements. It's 9"x 6" x 2.5". Hoping it'll work well - will try it out soon.

Prepared the loading bench for my shiny new Dillon 650XL arriving tomorrow

Only problem, I'm most likely leaving for India for 3 weeks on Saturday....I won't be able to use it for almost a month [crying]

Replaced the pin in my 30-06 die and resized and then trimmed about 100 cases. My wife got me the hornady case trimmer for my birthday and that thing was pretty fun to use. A bunch of the cases have crimped primer pockets so I need to figure out how to change over the parts on my swager from 5.56 to 30-06 tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom