What did you do in the reloading room recently?

100 yard zero you will need an about 5 minutes
200 yard zero add about 3 minutes

- - - Updated - - -

Dang those 12 and 13 will be like a fat 22lr [laugh]

Haha yeah probably. I wasn't sure what to expect for recoil so I figured I'd start low. I'm not looking for 22-like recoil just something that's comfortable and would be easy on my grandfather. Hopefully it warms up tomorrow and I can head to the range.

Dang those 12 and 13 will be like a fat 22lr [laugh]

Yes, but 3 1/2 times more rounds per pound of powder will make up for less bang.

Do you guys have any snow on the ground ? It's basically sunny and in the low 90s here in Bangkok. Unfortunately, l can't simply step outside and pop a few rounds in the m96, even with 6 grains of W542AA...

Yes, but 3 1/2 times more rounds per pound of powder will make up for less bang.

Do you guys have any snow on the ground ? It's basically sunny and in the low 90s here in Bangkok. Unfortunately, l can't simply step outside and pop a few rounds in the m96, even with 6 grains of W542AA...

Ohhh yeah. Love the low powder charges just for that reason. I get 430 rounds out of 1lb of 2400 for my 06 cast loads vs my 155 loads for full power rounds.
I'm slowly working on reduced loads and cast loads for the M1 that will cycle and still give me 3moa or less for the 200 yard matches
I hope to get 200 loads or more out of 1lb of H4895 with cast loads for the M1

No real snow left in W. Mass - but it was 3 degrees out with 20mph winds when I got up this morning. If you could ship me any extra "sunny and 90's" I sure could use some right now.

I made some at 12, 13, and 14 grains.

Well I made it to the range this afternoon to test the Trailboss loads. Holy crap are these light and fun!

I could actually hear the bullet hitting the paper! Awesome.

So here's a few target pics. These were shot from a bench, resting on a sandbag. I will say that it was very windy (need an excuse....). I had the rear sight at the 700 yard/meter height and used a 6 o'clock hold.

5 shot group at 25 yards (12 grains):
4b9f6ec04934b1ed8134b08a906b3347.png

5 shot group at 100 yards (13 grains):
5afb9ff60decb2602b1cb6d149ee9953.png

10 shot group at 100 yards (14 grains):
76c13b212c29f1ba8662649804a5c165.png

I managed to find a few of the bullets and jacketing in the berm. May be able to reload them....lol.
012c4151772999de1a1e0500f990d1f9.png

Well I made it to the range this afternoon to test the Trailboss loads. Holy crap are these light and fun!

I could actually hear the bullet hitting the paper! Awesome.

So here's a few target pics. These were shot from a bench, resting on a sandbag. I will say that it was very windy (need an excuse....). I had the rear sight at the 700 yard/meter height and used a 6 o'clock hold.

5 shot group at 25 yards (12 grains):
4b9f6ec04934b1ed8134b08a906b3347.png

5 shot group at 100 yards (13 grains):
5afb9ff60decb2602b1cb6d149ee9953.png

10 shot group at 100 yards (14 grains):
76c13b212c29f1ba8662649804a5c165.png

I managed to find a few of the bullets and jacketing in the berm. May be able to reload them....lol.
012c4151772999de1a1e0500f990d1f9.png

1 wonder how those 12 grainers would have done at 100 yards...looks like that rifle and bullet might like the higher end of trail boss.... 15-19 grains.
What rifle where you shooting these. Also try some light bullets. I have actually had lots of fun loading 110 and 125 grain fmj bullets for light loads. One of my range friends said 110 grain 30 carbine bullets can't be shot from a rifle....ok
Not only do I do it I also just got a Lyman mold for 110 grain bullet that was designed for 30 carbine.
Can't wait to toss some of them down range.
You can also just pretend your shooting 300blk

Last edited:
1 wonder how those 12 grainers would have done at 100 yards...looks like that rifle and bullet might like the higher end of trail boss.... 15-19 grains.
What rifle where you shooting these. Also try some light bullets. I have actually had lots of fun loading 110 and 125 grain fmj bullets for light loads. One of my range friends said 110 grain 30 carbine bullets can't be shot from a rifle....ok
Not only do I do it I also just got a Lyman mold for 110 grain bullet that was designed for 30 carbine.
Can't wait to toss some of them down range.
You can also just pretend your shooting 300blk

Yeah I just made 5 of the 12 grainers and used those to sight it in at 25.

It does seem like it may like the higher end of Trailboss. Though it's plenty accurate for the distances I shoot - 120 yards. I know I wasn't super steady holding the rifle and making sure not to jerk the trigger. Also this was using mixed brass - various HXP years and PPU.

This was my Remington 1903A3 that I got last spring. I suppose I could try lighter bullets but I got like 2,000+ of the Nosler 168s laying around....

I do have some Berrys 30 carbine 110 gr bullets though...

Last edited:
Yeah I just made 5 of the 12 grainers and used those to sight it in at 25.

It does seem like it may like the higher end of Trailboss. Though it's plenty accurate for the distances I shoot - 120 yards. I know I wasn't super steady holding the rifle and making sure not to jerk the trigger. Also this was using mixed brass - various HXP years and PPU.

This was my Remington 1903A3 that I got last spring. I suppose I could try lighter bullets but I got like 2,000+ of the Nosler 168s laying around....

Nice.... I drive 200 grain cast bullets at a whopping 1100fps and shoot milk jugs...it's silly fun and like you said the bullet hitting the target is loader than the report.... I still giggle when I shot my 165gn lee flat nose bullets at 200 yards(1600fps)... you get a pop then slight delay and SSMMACCKKK on the paper. Plus the flat point leaves a nice clean hole like a wadcutter.

Nice.... I drive 200 grain cast bullets at a whopping 1100fps and shoot milk jugs...it's silly fun and like you said the bullet hitting the target is loader than the report.... I still giggle when I shot my 165gn lee flat nose bullets at 200 yards(1600fps)... you get a pop then slight delay and SSMMACCKKK on the paper. Plus the flat point leaves a nice clean hole like a wadcutter.

Lol. Yeah I had a lot of fun shooting these. It was hard to believe I was shooting 30-06. And the noise hitting the paper was insane! I just couldn't get over how loud it was.

Sounds like you got the perfect rounds for your CMP matches. Soft recoil and clean holes on the target.

I've read some conflicting reports on whether or not 4198 is kosher for light 30-06 loads, but the guy I bought my 1903 NM from swore by 4198 and Sierra 110 gr HP. He sent a target along with the gun showing a super tight 100 yard group. I tried some at the minimum 20.0 gr. Sure enough, these work quite well at 100 yards and make 10 ring on the SR-1 with room to spare. Not sure I would like them at 200 yards with any wind at all. Still a fun round- maybe I'll try them at the Leominster winter 100 yard offhand match next winter. Convenient for me since my .458 socom drinks 4198 by the bucket full and I always have some.

Would be nice if RCBS would make their competition seating die in 6.5 CM. I really like the one I bought for .30-06 since I load for two different guns and various projectiles and the mic comes in handy. Probably I will need to FL size for the AR in 6.5 CM. I have been able to shoot .223 in a Krieger barrel AR with only neck sizing as long as I'm using top shelf brass like Norma or Lapua. I do this when shooting for groups at the range. For match shooting I'll FL size.

Last edited:
I've read some conflicting reports on whether or not 4198 is kosher for light 30-06 loads, but the guy I bought my 1903 NM from swore by 4198 and Sierra 110 gr HP. He sent a target along with the gun showing a super tight 100 yard group. I tried some at the minimum 20.0 gr. Sure enough, these work quite well at 100 yards and make 10 ring on the SR-1 with room to spare. Not sure I would like them at 200 yards with any wind at all. Still a fun round- maybe I'll try them at the Leominster winter 100 yard offhand match next winter. Convenient for me since my .458 socom drinks 4198 by the bucket full and I always have some.

Would be nice if RCBS would make their competition seating die in 6.5 CM. I really like the one I bought for .30-06 since I load for two different guns and various projectiles and the mic comes in handy. Probably I will need to FL size for the AR in 6.5 CM. I have been able to shoot .223 in a Krieger barrel AR with only neck sizing as long as I'm using top shelf brass like Norma or Lapua. I do this when shooting for groups at the range. For match shooting I'll FL size.

I,have no experience with H4198
So far for me 2400, H4895, Varget have done well
Google " S.E. Harris , the load" for some good cast load info . I have basically settled on H4895 for reduced loads with jacketed bullets.
Trail boss is for very very light loads and I use it for plain base lead bullets mostly for 50 yard fun

Last edited:
I'm a noob at this, my wife bought me a press for Christmas, (even if I am Jewish - she's nice like that).

I successfully loaded up some 115 grn for 9mm, and then switched to loading 147 grn.
Started with 3 grns of Hodgdon Universal, (it's their starting load).
Worked it up in 1 grn increments because it wasn't cycling the slide, loading batches of 6 or 10 rounds at a time to try.
I hit 3.3 grns and STOPPED because that's their max load.

Shot an IDPA match Saturday and had the opportunity to talk to a friend of mine who reloads. He pointed out that my OAL was probably too long. Came back home and put the calipers on it, and YUP, that would be correct. I was set at 1.16 and needed to be set at 1.11. Cranked it down, reset the powder drop back to 3.0 (starting load), made up a new batch and back to the range.

They ran perfectly.

A lousy .005, aka five-thousands of an inch really DOES make a difference.
<EDIT> .05 would be HUNDRED not thousand. </EDIT>

I did say I'm a noob at this, I'm learning.

Last edited:
No real snow left in W. Mass - but it was 3 degrees out with 20mph winds when I got up this morning. If you could ship me any extra "sunny and 90's" I sure could use some right now.

3 degrees! Man, can't wait to get back to NE.

If l knew how to attach pics and links on this tablet device, perhaps I could warm you up with images of Ao Prao Resort and such like.

As for .30 Carbine bullets in other calibers, I've used them in my FR-7 & K-31. Same goes for the Berry's plated 150g and the Plinker, Varminter and semi-jacketed varieties. They may not be the ideal bullet profile for fast feeding, but they all work.
Many aren't designed for warp speed.
The Rainier 300 BO "Wedge" should be considered, too.

Lol. Yeah I had a lot of fun shooting these. It was hard to believe I was shooting 30-06. And the noise hitting the paper was insane! I just couldn't get over how loud it was.

Even 5.56 makes a fair smack on paper, if you are working the target pit. The few times l shot in East Haven with the CTARNG, it was quite a goof to hear the rounds snap the target b4 hearing the rifles report.

You might want to try Graf's .30 caliber plated DEWCs, if you want true wadcutter hole-making...
...or make your own JSWC with empty 5.7x28mm brass.

Last edited:
22 TCM

attachment.php

First batch of 22 TCM for the Contender, next to a 223. Kind of annoying to load, just because everything is so small.

Attachments

• 22_TCM_20170311_162816.jpg
    22_TCM_20170311_162816.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
decided I needed a place to clean rifles (or set up tumbler, annealer, or whatever else I need bench space for), and managed to score some freebie cabinets being demo'd on a jobsite

rest of the house is under various stages of construction, so nabbed some 2x4's and a bit of sheetrock. just firetaped for now, might put a 2nd coat on it and actually paint everything (then again, probably wont). had a lally column that would have made bench access tough, so decided to frame it in and give me a short wall to hang my longer cleaning rods on (im sure i'll find something else to fill the gap on the shorter side)

not bad for ~ $75 all in (including pegboard)

17349342_10100224037304660_68318008_o_zpstw5y92bg.jpg

17352926_10100224037299670_1529371095_n_zpsvmbpw3us.jpg

*Prepped 200 pieces for 7mm-300WSM project.
*Inventoried all powder on-hand and tossed it on to a simple matrix
*Wet tumbled 2k various rifle cases
*Mounted USO LR17 on the REM 700 build (just waiting on bubble level and throw lever and she will be 100% D O N E)
*Did the triggers on my G42, G43 and installed Vogel Comp Trigger on G34 MOS
*Put in a new book case (much much much better now)
*Ordered Forster Press

AND enjoyed some good dinner (not cooked and or prepared in "reloading room" aka The Bunker[smile])

Taking a break and hrydrating [cheers]

Last edited:
Yesterday I tumbled a bunch of 45acp and then loaded 20 rounds to try a new recipe. The day before I loaded 200 rounds of 40 S&W. Anyone else staying away from the range for fear of losing a ton of brass in the snow?

Back
Top Bottom