What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded up the first .308 handloads (first ever handloads actually). Not much of a reloading setup but it works for now.

There is nothing wrong with the lee whackOround loader. It will load fine ammo.
Interesting to see your results.

I load countless 38spl on a lee classic as a kid.
You know back when you could do things as a kid.
After club breakfast on Sunday we would pick the range of lead bullets. While my dad smelted the old bullets and cast them into new on the tail gate I would put together rounds on the bench...

There is nothing wrong with the lee whackOround loader. It will load fine ammo.
Interesting to see your results.

I load countless 38spl on a lee classic as a kid.
You know back when you could do things as a kid.
After club breakfast on Sunday we would pick the range of lead bullets. While my dad smelted the old bullets and cast them into new on the tail gate I would put together rounds on the bench...

Yes, the lee classic loader works surprisingly well for how few components are included. I picked it up, along with a few other Lee tools (chamfer tool, brass trimmer etc. all handheld components $50 total), solely for messing around with 308 loads. I figure my other calibers (9mm, 45, .223) are relatively cheap purchased in bulk as to not be worth it to reload at this time. I know, others may disagree. I will post my results after my next range trip this weekend. I loaded 50 rounds total in about an 1.5-2 hours total with prep included. Loads below:

30 Rounds
Bullet: Hornady A-MAX 178 gr
Powder: IMR 4064 42.4 gr
Primer: CCI #200 Large Rifle
Brass: Remington (Once fired from my rifle)
2.800" OAL

20 Rounds
Bullet: Hornady A-MAX 178 gr
Powder: IMR 4064 41.4 gr
Primer: CCI #200 Large Rifle
Brass: PMC Bronze (Once fired from my rifle)
2.800" OAL

I let my paranoia get the better of me. I sorted a bunch of 223 brass by manufacturer, then by trimmed length, then i started sorting the bullets by length. The Xtreme bullets I'm using vary by .005" which is messing me up when i ckeck OAL from rim to tip. Now i can make a test load and have everything come out right where it should.

I let my paranoia get the better of me. I sorted a bunch of 223 brass by manufacturer, then by trimmed length, then i started sorting the bullets by length. The Xtreme bullets I'm using vary by .005" which is messing me up when i ckeck OAL from rim to tip. Now i can make a test load and have everything come out right where it should.

What... you didn't weigh each bullet and case.

What... you didn't weigh each bullet and case.

latest

Isn't that why you people have children?

On another note, any suggestions go 6.5 Creedmoor dies from personal experience?

Loading trailbross on a Dillon 650 using the small measure for 357 mag. Meters consistant

So far I like trailboss for light loads. I'm just not getting much of accuracy so far. Minute of milk jug for the most part.
I will be loading up some 54r with trail boss and going to see if I can get under 4moa with this rifle that will be good.

Loaded some more 300 Blackout test loads.
Anyone else find that heavy bullet supersonic data is few and dar between and extremely contradictory?
Max loads are all over the board and also the velocities stated on similar loads are off by as much as 200 FPS (same barrel lengths same bullets powder charge etc)
I guess thats part of the fun. Though i sure would love to be able to load up more than 50 rounds for a range trip. [laugh]

On another note, any suggestions go 6.5 Creedmoor dies from personal experience?

If you're not in a rush, I just ordered some Hornady 6.5cm dies on amazon for $40. They're for a friend to use on my press, so I can let you know if they're any good. They did have decent reviews, supposedly good concentricity etc.

Do what I do and buy all Lee dies... then if you have a shitty day at the range or lose a match you can blame it on something other than yourself.
If you win you can brag and say "I did all that with a set of Lee dies!"

I was looking at the Redding dies with a micrometer. Still unsure of the bushing dies though I did see that Hornady had bushing dies for under $100. Also only want to neck size.

Loaded some more 300 Blackout test loads.
Anyone else find that heavy bullet supersonic data is few and dar between and extremely contradictory?
Max loads are all over the board and also the velocities stated on similar loads are off by as much as 200 FPS (same barrel lengths same bullets powder charge etc)
I guess thats part of the fun. Though i sure would love to be able to load up more than 50 rounds for a range trip. [laugh]

I seen the new hodgdon hand load mag on the rack at cvs might have some new 300 data in it. The spring miltary surplus mag is out also. Good reading

I ran like 350 rounds of 10mm FMJ ammo yesterday on my 650.

It's been flipping primers like a bastard since I put the large primer system on it, like 5-7% went in sideways or upside down. Clearly something is a tad out of time/alignment, but I can't figure it out. The station locator is adjusted to be about 0.002" from the case, the large primer punch is installed and centered, etc. I need to take another look at it tomorrow.

I ran like 350 rounds of 10mm FMJ ammo yesterday on my 650.

It's been flipping primers like a bastard since I put the large primer system on it, like 5-7% went in sideways or upside down. Clearly something is a tad out of time/alignment, but I can't figure it out. The station locator is adjusted to be about 0.002" from the case, the large primer punch is installed and centered, etc. I need to take another look at it tomorrow.

Is the primer magazine tube installed properly? I believe that can cause some issues.

Is the primer magazine tube installed properly? I believe that can cause some issues.

I was going to check that next, because I had that happen on my 550B. I'd hope it is though -- I actually bought an entire second priming assembly with the press so I wouldn't have to fart around with changing the priming wheel and stuff, so it was all preassembled by Dillon.

Lag screwed my brass trimmer to a piece of plywood so I can clamp it down instead of holding onto the body with one hand. Also trimmed probably 200 pieces of 30-06 brass yesterday, about to do the rest now. The hornady brass trimmer is kind of fun to use.. I don't mind taking my time on each case, because its basically silent I have been listening to this canadian guy on youtube rant about how to remove broken taps from bits of metal.

I think I got my primer issue sorted out. Just kind of took the priming assembly off and reinstalled it, making sure it looked aligned. Honestly, it didn't seem any different but I ran 250 without issue.

I also ran out of Winchester primers and switched to Federal. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Counted my 5.56 brass and realized that I have no need to trim for about 5-6 years... I have more 5.56 brass than 9mm and that's saying something.

Made 900 rounds of 9mm, then in the last 100, my dillon powder cop goes off, it threw 2 charges of 1.4 back to back in between 4.0 thought maybe the power cop hit the powder bar on my 1050, then it happened again after adjusting the powder cop position. Noticed the spring on my powder bar return rod, the spring tightener appeared to have losened , which would prevent the powder bar from returning 100%. I've loaded
25,000+ and never had anything like this occur. Definitely counting my blessings with the dillon power cop. I check every 100, rounds and some in between, i never would have found this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Is yours one of the older powder drops? The newer ones (last 10 years at least) use a rod to move it in both directions. You don't even need a spring.

Is yours one of the older powder drops? The newer ones (last 10 years at least) use a rod to move it in both directions. You don't even need a spring.
It is the new powder drop, 2k later after the adjustment to the wing nust spring tensioner , no issues. I am adding checking that to my pre check

Loaded up some 30-06 with Trailboss. Hopefully I can test them out tomorrow.

Also started sizing and trimming my twice fired 30-06 brass.

Loaded up some 30-06 with Trailboss. Hopefully I can test them out tomorrow.

Also started sizing and trimming my twice fired 30-06 brass.

Remeber they will be SLOW don't be shocked if you need to set your sights a few hundred yards more on the sight. I'm at 750 Mark on my 1903a3 to hit 100 yard point of aim.
What are you running for charge.

Like to see you shoot for accuracy with these. It's fun to bang out nice right groups with light loads. I always have fun when range professors try telling me there is something wrong with my loads. You should see how cross eyed some get when I'm pounding 200 grain cast loads through the M1.

I was running 15 grains as that's what one of me Lee powder scoops tossed and it was IIRC 1300fps ish. 168 fmjbt at max powder charge might get to 1500fps?

Last edited:
Remeber they will be SLOW don't be shocked if you need to set your sights a few hundred yards more on the sight. I'm at 750 Mark on my 1903a3 to hit 100 yard point of aim.
What are you running for charge.

Like to see you shoot for accuracy with these. It's fun to bang out nice right groups with light loads. I always have fun when range professors try telling me there is something wrong with my loads. You should see how cross eyed some get when I'm pounding 200 grain cast loads through the M1.

I was running 15 grains as that's what one of me Lee powder scoops tossed and it was IIRC 1300fps ish. 168 fmjbt at max powder charge might get to 1500fps?

I made some at 12, 13, and 14 grains.

I just loaded up some 30-06 as well, I did the 168 SMK with 46.3 of varget which seemed to work well before. I'm going to see what elevation I need for 300 yards tomorrow hopefully if its not freezing again.

100 yard zero you will need an about 5 minutes
200 yard zero add about 3 minutes

- - - Updated - - -

I made some at 12, 13, and 14 grains.

Dang those 12 and 13 will be like a fat 22lr [laugh]

I set up the 550 to; deprime, swage, resize, and trim 223. Prepped 3-4k cases this week. Wrapped up today and loaded up about 500 rounds of 9MM.

My friend and I built this room in his house and combined efforts with our 550s this past fall. We ran a hose through the wall to a vac to suck up brass shavings from the trimmer, and another to a compressor to blow media and powder off the presses. All controlled via switches in the room. Loving the new setup!

image-3252755414.jpg

Back
Top Bottom