What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I reloaded my first 100 9mm ever. On a Lee Pro 1000.

115 gr Round Nose Copper Plate. 4.2gr Bullseye. Remington #1 1/2 Pistol Primers.

I took it nice and slow. Took almost 2 hours to get these 100. And that was after days of tuning the press.

I found that the powder filled the brass to about 80%, so a double charge would have spilled over the top, so I'm happy with that.

My bigest problem is the primer lockout arm, that should prevent a primer from sliding down on top of the primer push-rod, malfunctioned and caused primers to tip onto their edge. This happened twice. I had to stop the whole process and gently poke the wedged primer out of the way. Any suggestions for dealing with this particular issue?

View attachment 189594View attachment 189595View attachment 189596View attachment 189597

take the primer shoot out and make sure there is no plastic flashing anywhere in and on the shoot part.
Then take the primer seating punch and clean up the stem with fine emry cloth and just break the edge on the outer "rim" of the seater punch. basically what happens in my observation is the primer catches the edge of the primer seating punch just enough to cause it to flip. I also took small zip ties to the body of the primer shoot to keep it from spreading.
Another thing also is the primers tend to have more feed problems as the primer tray gets low. I dont let it go lower than say 8-10 visable in the tray.

Giraud Tri-Way .223 trimmer arrived today. Already banged out about 50 cases after adjusting the cutter. Leaving the rest until the storm tomorrow.

View attachment 190285
Watch the snow fly and pumped out some 300 Blackout 168 bthp and 165 sp over 14.5 of Lilgun.

300 black out is a funny cartridge. I had some younger shooters getting a good laugh at my 200 grain cast loads with 18 grains of 2400 for about 1750fps....but 300blk is awesome bro...
Good job love seeing that fat bullet on the small case. I have not caught the 300blk bug yet but I'm sure a good deal on a upper will change that. I will most likely run one of my cast bullets though.

Got sent home early from work yesterday due to the snow, so I made 200 10mm rounds -- 220gr SNS hardcast over 7.8gr 800X.

I don't think I'm going to use SNS 220s anymore -- they measure .4025 and cause a bulge in the case when seating, causing me to run the completed rounds through a push-through die in order to get them to chamber.

Ibeji has a 220gr coated cast bullet that I might use if I decide to keep loading 220s.

Got sent home early from work yesterday due to the snow, so I made 200 10mm rounds -- 220gr SNS hardcast over 7.8gr 800X.

I don't think I'm going to use SNS 220s anymore -- they measure .4025 and cause a bulge in the case when seating, causing me to run the completed rounds through a push-through die in order to get them to chamber.

Ibeji has a 220gr coated cast bullet that I might use if I decide to keep loading 220s.

Not that it's the best solution but you could push the bullets through a lee sizer die before using them.
Also you could use a lee factory crimp die which has a carbide sizing ring. That should do the trick

Not that it's the best solution but you could push the bullets through a lee sizer die before using them.
Also you could use a lee factory crimp die which has a carbide sizing ring. That should do the trick

You know, I didn't even think to try just running my Lee FCD down to the shell plate instead of pushing through, haha. That's all my push through sizer is -- a Lee FCD with the little ram rod and collection bin. My process for 10mm brass prep is to push through size, then size and decap, then wet tumble. When it comes to crimp, I normally use a Hornady taper crimp die (this originated from not wanting to swage down the cast/coated bullets I use in .40). When I realized that wasn't going to do the trick, I just put my push through sizer assembly in the press and ran them through. But you're right -- I bet I could just reassemble the Lee FCD and not have to push the rounds through since all I need to do is get it low enough to make sure the entire bullet gets swaged down. SNS claims they are sized to .4014-.4018, but the handful I measured were all over .402. I actually have a sample pack of the Ibeji 220s and they were right around .4015"

only 200? ha
I loaded 2k 9mm yesterday. Used up all my clean brass, need to get the tumblers going.

I have used SNS casting in the past, only their 230g 45 round nose offering. Each time I ordered, and it was 1k a time about 8-10 times,the bullets would be a little different size, shape, or alloy. I had to be sure to chronograph each batch to be sure I was making USPSA power factor.

I now use Ibejiheads in 45, 40, and 9. Superior consistency

bench.jpg

Dual purpose picture. That's my most recent acquisition, a Mossberg 930 for 3gun standing upright on the bench. And the bench itself is now fully functional. I started with what is undoubtedly the easiest of the rounds I shoot, (and the one I shoot the most of - 9mm).

It's very peaceful loading ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 41
300 black out is a funny cartridge. I had some younger shooters getting a good laugh at my 200 grain cast loads with 18 grains of 2400 for about 1750fps....but 300blk is awesome bro...
Good job love seeing that fat bullet on the small case. I have not caught the 300blk bug yet but I'm sure a good deal on a upper will change that. I will most likely run one of my cast bullets though.
Thanks the 300 blackout is a fun cartridge to reload endless options of heads and loads , and if your already loading and casting for a garand and own a AR your already over halfway there you wont regret it.

Thanks the 300 blackout is a fun cartridge to reload endless options of heads and loads , and if your already loading and casting for a garand and own a AR your already over halfway there you wont regret it.

Yeah I was shooting 165 grain flat points out of my 03a3 and 200 grains out of my 91/30. The 2 (I will call them the yo bro's) where inside themselves and asking why I'm running a whimpy round....they where shooting 300blk and little 380 pistols.... they just could not see there was little difference between my loads and the 300blk.
Part of me says 300blk is a waste of good Jacketed bullets.
I do like the platform though.
I have A A2 upper receiver I might just build out for 300 then see how well it does at cmp modern military.

Just put away 1,500 9mm bullets that arrived in the mail today. Had 1,500 arrive on Tuesday too. Should last a little while.

Sorted a bunch of into piles to be scrapped, melted or pulled before being scrapped or melted.
Primed some 300 Blackout cases.
Watched some youtube videos on 1903s and 1917s wondering which I should buy.

only 200? ha
I loaded 2k 9mm yesterday. Used up all my clean brass, need to get the tumblers going.

I have used SNS casting in the past, only their 230g 45 round nose offering. Each time I ordered, and it was 1k a time about 8-10 times,the bullets would be a little different size, shape, or alloy. I had to be sure to chronograph each batch to be sure I was making USPSA power factor.

I now use Ibejiheads in 45, 40, and 9. Superior consistency
That damn 800X. Takes me about 40min to charge 100 cases with the Lyman Gen 6 powder dispenser. I actually wrapped up the last of the 220s today (550 total in the last 3 days), using up the last of my 800X. I tried to buy more primers and Longshot today, but Al's was out of 1 pounders and Winchester LP. I hear Longshot performs similarly to 800X in 10mm, but actually meters in a Dillon or Uniflow. I just ran my Lee FCD down to the shell plate for the last 350 rounds I made, and it worked fine. It's the A-USA brass that has the most pronounced bulge -- that brass must be thicker. Federal cases had hardly any bulge. I did notice that the A-USA brass required more force to primer (so did the S&B), with Underwood/Starline brass having the loosest primer pockets I encountered.

Reloading and machine shop project - made a powder cop die so I don't have to kill myself trying to see into 38/357 cases.

52087528eaef235056b77bb102f32403.jpg

About 0.4 grains from the bottom to the top of the o-ring in a 38 SPL case.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom