What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Nah, wait till the bucket gives out and your picking up shot for the next 10 years...[shocked] not that I know anything about that stuff[rolleyes]

hahaha
It was in 50 cal ammo cans but one was the side hinged type that doesn't seem to be nearly as secure. I was worried.
Mu buddy did give my a gallon or so bucket of lead shot he pulled from some old nasty shells, the handle pulled right off when he tried picking up the bucket.

hahaha
It was in 50 cal ammo cans but one was the side hinged type that doesn't seem to be nearly as secure. I was worried.
Mu buddy did give my a gallon or so bucket of lead shot he pulled from some old nasty shells, the handle pulled right off when he tried picking up the bucket.
We used to get 3 gallon buckets full of pellets from a friend's uncle who worked for crosman. Those buckets had about a 3-4 year life span. If you tried to pick them up the bottom stayed on the floor.
Ammo cans are not different. I had a 556 can hinge give out.
It's all fun.

Loaded 80 30.06 last night. 150 grain over 45 grains of imr4895 in hxp77. Forgot about them being in the tumbler and now they look like something out of a Hornady ad.

I loaded the last of the 165 gr Sierra gamekings over 44 gr of IMR-4064 in 7.5x55 swiss. Just need to practice a bit before deer season...

Finally had time to get my press back up. Lee was quick with shipping and all the parts showed up. I had to play with the auto index unit and rachet for proper function. The press action feels concise, even compared to when it was new. Now if I could figure out a way to deal with the minor powder spilling on occasional rotations I'd be golden.

Finally had time to get my press back up. Lee was quick with shipping and all the parts showed up. I had to play with the auto index unit and rachet for proper function. The press action feels concise, even compared to when it was new. Now if I could figure out a way to deal with the minor powder spilling on occasional rotations I'd be golden.

I upgraded to the auto drum....no leaks yet with H110

My minimal research between Google and YouTube are leaning that way. Seems a decent amount of people run them on Dillon XL650s too (next press hopefully).

Loaded 80 30.06 last night. 150 grain over 45 grains of imr4895 in hxp77. Forgot about them being in the tumbler and now they look like something out of a Hornady ad.

You tumbled for a long time before loading, or after? There are stories of loaded carts being tumbled too long resulting in unsafe degradation of powder (notably, TZ headstamp 7.62NATO from the early 80s are sometimes suspect. I'll have to search for a cite.)

You tumbled for a long time before loading, or after? There are stories of loaded carts being tumbled too long resulting in unsafe degradation of powder (notably, TZ headstamp 7.62NATO from the early 80s are sometimes suspect. I'll have to search for a cite.)

After.

TBH, I dont really care too much how shiny they are. I mean they look nice and all, but really I was just trying to get rid of the case lube. I had it running in the basement and forgot about it. This is the first Ive heard of there being consequences to tumbling too long.

After.

TBH, I dont really care too much how shiny they are. I mean they look nice and all, but really I was just trying to get rid of the case lube. I had it running in the basement and forgot about it. This is the first Ive heard of there being consequences to tumbling too long.

im ging to gander it would have to be tumbled for a very long time or from tumbling ammo that has already degrading powder like some old milsurp stuff thats been stored in various poor conditions over its life span.

In the estate I just wrapped up, there were (800 I think) TZ headstamp rounds that I intend to tear down.
Supposedly there was a flood or fire / sprinkler activity at the storage location, and IMI (TZ headstamp is a Isreali Military Industries headstamp) tumbled them to clean them up and remove tarnish.
SUPPOSEDLY, one or more batches were left in the tumbler for a very long time... like a whole weekend.
The powder abraded against itself and the inside of the case/projjie, disintegrated down to a fine powder from stick or ball, and (again, supposedly) blew up a some guns and faces.

im ging to gander it would have to be tumbled for a very long time or from tumbling ammo that has already degrading powder like some old milsurp stuff thats been stored in various poor conditions over its life span.

It was milsurp IMR4895 bought from a member here a couple of years ago. Have no idea how old the powder is but the labels on the jugs certainly are showing their gae even though the jugs themselves were sealed.

The powder abraded against itself and the inside of the case/projjie, disintegrated down to a fine powder from stick or ball, and (again, supposedly) blew up a some guns and faces.

Oyy...[shocked]

Added a small dry erase board behind the presses indicating what the last setup used was. Makes it easier for when I take some time off to see where I left everything.

Just started reloading, and today I made my first 10 rounds ever: .38 special, middle-of-the-road charge of Titegroup, 125g x-treme plated HPs. Just got back from shooting them in a .357 magnum lever gun. All good.

Loaded up a batch of 357 mag, 158 grain plated swc, 6 grains of Unique. Also worked up a new load of 357 with 158 grain jhp over 15-16.5 of H110.

Loaded the 30.06 from the other day into enblocs and tumbled and sorted some range pickups from earlier in the week.

Just started reloading 45 acp which I am found very relaxing... until i started running into a bunch of brass with small primers [frown]. Now I've been sorting thru the 45 acp brass separating the different sized primers. Using winchester 231 with 4.3 grains which I plan on using for the next steel challenge match. Light recoil and accurate.

Ive been using painters tape on the powder drop and a sharpie. Ghetto! lol

I fold a small piece of paper into the top edge of the powder tube. Then put the lid on. I'm not so concerned about the load just what's in the hopper.
I don't leave powder in there very long but I often load all sorts of different stuff in a short time span.
Also a good thing to do is not store your powder near the bench and only take out one powder at a time

I'm fairly new to reloading .45acp also, Why is it that the .45 shell has 2 different size primers? Only once so far have I tried to squeeze a large primer in a small primer hole. Surprised the primer didn't go off.

The small primer 45 cases are lead free primers.
I have collected a good amount of the SPP 45 brass it will either go to someone who wants it or to the scrap yard.
I loaded up a handful with my powder puff 230 grain cast and Clays powder loads. I did not see any real difference in performance. The "smaller" flame front might be a problem for other powders.
I load my 45 with just enough mmpph to cycle. I'm only shooting pins and junk at short range.

Loaded up a batch of 357 mag, 158 grain plated swc, 6 grains of Unique. Also worked up a new load of 357 with 158 grain jhp over 15-16.5 of H110.

Loaded the 30.06 from the other day into enblocs and tumbled and sorted some range pickups from earlier in the week.

Nice. Those H110 loads will be fun[mg]

- - - Updated - - -

Just started reloading, and today I made my first 10 rounds ever: .38 special, middle-of-the-road charge of Titegroup, 125g x-treme plated HPs. Just got back from shooting them in a .357 magnum lever gun. All good.

Awesome. 357 mag and 38 spl were my first calibers to reload.

I fold a small piece of paper into the top edge of the powder tube. Then put the lid on. I'm not so concerned about the load just what's in the hopper.
I don't leave powder in there very long but I often load all sorts of different stuff in a short time span.
Also a good thing to do is not store your powder near the bench and only take out one powder at a time

I never leave powder in the hopper for more than a day. 95% of the time I empty it once I'm done and put the powder away so there's no confusion.

Today I just started tumbling some 9mm brass and will hopefully load another 500 rounds of 9mm if I have time. Need to do yard work, AGAIN....

I have to admit that powder can sit in the drop for a while. I tend to load in spurts, often walking away from the bench planning on getting back the following night which turns into the following week or more. There have been times where I got back and couldn't recall what powder was in the drop. Usually write the powder, weight, and col for quick reference.

I do keep powder in a cabinet separate from the bench though, so one jug out at a time. My issue is one of stopping part way through a run and not getting back for a while. Been writing notes to leave on the bench as well to keep track of where I was and what I was doing.

- - - Updated - - -

I never leave powder in the hopper for more than a day. 95% of the time I empty it once I'm done and put the powder away so there's no confusion.

Today I just started tumbling some 9mm brass and will hopefully load another 500 rounds of 9mm if I have time. Need to do yard work, AGAIN....

That's a good policy. I need to get in the habit of doing that myself.

Eta regarding yard work. Picked up some poison ivy or poison something on my arms. A good couple of weeks ago cut out a bunch of crap from my neighbors side that was encroaching over the fence and had wrapped itself around everything. Arms got a bit scratched up dragging it all on the truck, but was otherwise fine. Couple weeks go by and suddenly my arms are bumpy, red and itchy. Never heard of a delayed reaction like that. Should of been loading ammo instead, lol.

Last edited:
Eta regarding yard work. Picked up some poison ivy or poison something on my arms. A good couple of weeks ago cut out a bunch of crap from my neighbors side that was encroaching over the fence and had wrapped itself around everything. Arms got a bit scratched up dragging it all on the truck, but was otherwise fine. Couple weeks go by and suddenly my arms are bumpy, red and itchy. Never heard of a delayed reaction like that. Should of been loading ammo instead, lol.

Yikes! That really sucks especially when it's not even your crap that you're cutting down. I've been dealing with the same issue with my neighbor. He's an older hoarder type and never does yard work so I have vines and other thorny bushes that overtake my fence and one side of my garage. I finally said **** it, and went in his driveway and cut off all the shit that was attaching to my garage and fence then left it in his yard....

Yikes! That really sucks especially when it's not even your crap that you're cutting down. I've been dealing with the same issue with my neighbor. He's an older hoarder type and never does yard work so I have vines and other thorny bushes that overtake my fence and one side of my garage. I finally said **** it, and went in his driveway and cut off all the shit that was attaching to my garage and fence then left it in his yard....

Yeah, same. Older guy, can't keep up with it any more. He mows the patch of grass out front but that's it, the back is getting out of control. Not a bad guy, just physically can't do it anymore and fixed income so can't pay anyone to do it for him. I'd of left it on his side, but I don't want it to turn into a rodent haven.

Vines grew through a full size tree on his side, a couple of good size bushes on my side and 4-5 saplings on his side that were maybe 15 feet high. Everything was locked together by the vines. Cut the saplings at the base and they were literally just hanging there. Frustrating stuff to deal with, try to pull it onto the truck but the whole friggen pile was locked together in one giant ball. Just as bad trying to pull it off.

The last time I loaded .45ACP, it was 4.2gr of HP38 with CCI primers and Extreme 200gr bullets. Don't recall OAL but the ejected cases were literally falling a foot from the pistol. Super pleasant range load. YMMV though.

Finally got a few minutes to myself, loaded 250 .45ACP of the 1k that I primed last weekend, 230 gr Berry's RN Plated on top of 4.5 gns of HP-38 set to COL 1.200 , with CCI primers . Picked up my new Shield .45 and hope to get down to the range after work some night this week.

I have to admit that powder can sit in the drop for a while. I tend to load in spurts, often walking away from the bench planning on getting back the following night which turns into the following week or more. There have been times where I got back and couldn't recall what powder was in the drop. Usually write the powder, weight, and col for quick reference.

I do keep powder in a cabinet separate from the bench though, so one jug out at a time. My issue is one of stopping part way through a run and not getting back for a while. Been writing notes to leave on the bench as well to keep track of where I was and what I was doing.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good policy. I need to get in the habit of doing that myself.

I get any type of "poison" plant irritation easily.
If it's a vine and or glossy I handle with care. I don't do any yard work with out a heavy long sleeve shirt gloves and eye protection. When I get that shit it's ear lobes to pinky toe !

Back
Top Bottom