What did you do in the reloading room recently?

For .303 British, I still say call Norman and try his 200g coated bullets for about 13¢ each...

QdBJywBl.jpg

The middle bullet is offered in .309" and .313"

I might have asked before ...is that with the gas check.

As pictured.
The 170g is .309", the 200g comes in both .309" and .313". The 180g is .309", but a similar profile is available in.323", too.
Personally, I find the aluminum gas checks on the ground about 3-5 yards in front of the muzzle. I don't rightly know if they are supposed to stay with the bullet to the target. The Hornady copper variety tend to stay put on the bullet base. Both seem to shoot just fine, but I'm no marksman to worry about same hole accuracy.
Most of my own cast bullets don't even get the gas check installed, where applicable, since I'm lobbing them downrange.
For example...
q8kOtM1l.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, the Sinterfire SF7.62x39-123 NTP is available from a company west of the Rocky Mountains for < 20¢ a pop, but this is only a .310" diameter bullet. I've used them in 7.62x39mm (imagine that), 7.62x54R and .303 British. Can't say I have had many go through a Mosin yet, but I did shoot some through my neighbor's No.1 mk3* just fine.

You could always make the JSWC like below and size them accordingly:
cCmf0e8l.jpg

The loads were 11.5 grains of Titegroup and 12 grains each of Unique and Trail Boss. The Titegroup was the most accurate and the fastest at 1053 fps.

Hoping to prep some 7.5x55 brass to load with Sierra 165 gr Gamekings over IMR-4064. Need them loaded and sighted in before deer season in November...

Or I'll make more 9mm...

Recoil is a very subjective thing but to me it feels like a plus P .38 Spl out of a medium frame revolver. It hits about twice as hard as a .45acp out of a full size govt. model but the recoil is no greater. I attribute this to the fact that the gun is gigantic and has a muzzle break.

Resized some 7.5x55 cases and somehow managed to have a few 30-06 cases mixed in[crying]

Accidentally resized one 30-06 case in the 7.5x55 redding die....I think it's been over a year since I reloaded any rifle ammo.

That being said, I've got the 7.5 cases tumbling to remove the case lube. Then later on I'll prime, charge, and seat the bullets.

Resized some 7.5x55 cases and somehow managed to have a few 30-06 cases mixed in[crying]

Accidentally resized one 30-06 case in the 7.5x55 redding die....I think it's been over a year since I reloaded any rifle ammo.

That being said, I've got the 7.5 cases tumbling to remove the case lube. Then later on I'll prime, charge, and seat the bullets.
did it get stuck..... you must have been going to fast a 30-06 rim is a sloppy fit in the 7.5 shell holder. Shit happens

salavaged some pewter to reduce its spacial volume for storage

E5EJHMD.jpg

10 oz of pewter for 50 cents
PPf2GNn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I settled on 12 grains of Titegroup. It pushes that 350 grain bullet at 1123 fps and puts all the bullets into one hole at bowling pin range though I'll admit it's a big hole. This handgun seems to be the most accurate handgun I own which is not what I expected when I bought it.

I ordered everything i need to reload .308, except casting molds.
I even bought brass, which i normally i wouldnt do.
I figured at $.085 per case i can splurge..

Ive been on a bit of an ammo buying kick Lately, all in preperarion of new toy i guess.

MAC1911, good score on that pewter.

Edit. So both the company and an individual here on NES wont ship spent brass to MA...pretty silly stuff.

Last edited:
Loaded a few rounds of 7.5x55 to hopefully test this weekend since there aren't any pistol matches....

Sierra 165 gr softpoint Gamekings over 44 gr of IMR-4064. Should drop deer no problem come November....

So my Lee turret press is going to be single stage until new parts show up. I thought the issue with the indexing was due to it running dry but it wasn't. It ran for maybe 120 rounds then the index rod started to free spin. The square ratchet failed internally after ~10k rounds. At $.50 a piece I've got a few on the way plus a new index clamp and index rod.

So my Lee turret press is going to be single stage until new parts show up. I thought the issue with the indexing was due to it running dry but it wasn't. It ran for maybe 120 rounds then the index rod started to free spin. The square ratchet failed internally after ~10k rounds. At $.50 a piece I've got a few on the way plus a new index clamp and index rod.

Lee repair parts (the ratchet included) are free if you order them from the Lee website. You pay shipping, so stock up on common repair parts for all your Lee products in one order.

Yep! Found that out when I saw I was only paying for the 4-hole turret and shipping. Let's see if the correct parts show up or if it turns into a fiasco like some have reported on other forums lol.

Tested some 7.5x55 deer rounds earlier today. 44 gr of IMR-4064 under 165 gr Sierra Gameking soft points, and CCI LR primers. Shot VERY well but out of the 15 rounds I made, I had 3 light strikes. I'm pretty sure they were seated deep enough so now I'm wondering if these primers are too hard for the K31. First time using CCI LR primers as I was only using Win primers before (for 30-06 and my other 7.5x55 loads). Might have to switch back to Win to ensure reliability during deer season...

Tested some 7.5x55 deer rounds earlier today. 44 gr of IMR-4064 under 165 gr Sierra Gameking soft points, and CCI LR primers. Shot VERY well but out of the 15 rounds I made, I had 3 light strikes. I'm pretty sure they were seated deep enough so now I'm wondering if these primers are too hard for the K31. First time using CCI LR primers as I was only using Win primers before (for 30-06 and my other 7.5x55 loads). Might have to switch back to Win to ensure reliability during deer season...

Be sure your bolt is 100% closed. I found that my K31 would drop the hammer but not fire because my bolt was not 100% closed. Shooting lefty it's easy to do. I have been using CCI #34 in my K31,K98 and 91/30 with out issues.
I do agree to switch to what has worked for you no need going into the woods with doubts.

Be sure your bolt is 100% closed. I found that my K31 would drop the hammer but not fire because my bolt was not 100% closed. Shooting lefty it's easy to do. I have been using CCI #34 in my K31,K98 and 91/30 with out issues.
I do agree to switch to what has worked for you no need going into the woods with doubts.

Yeah I don't think it was the primers. I'm pretty sure I was closing the bolt all the way but I suppose it's possible I wasn't.

I resized more brass and used the headspace comparator tool. I found a bunch of cases that were basically not resized. The shoulders were bumped no more than 0.001" and some not at all (when compared to the fired cases I measured). This might be the issue. I was lazy last week and didn't use the comparator tool to make sure my die was setup properly.

From what I've read you can't bump the shoulders back any less than 0.004" with these straight pull actions. I just resized 60 cases and bumped the shoulders back 0.005-0.006" to be safe.

I tried those 12 grain Titegroup loads at the 200 yard range at Shirley. I think this is my new 200 yard plinking load. Out of the 8 3/8" .500 S&W it shot about a 10" group shooting 2 handed standing. I had to hold a little high at 200 but if I put the original front sight blade back on, it will be right on at 200.

I tried those 12 grain Titegroup loads at the 200 yard range at Shirley. I think this is my new 200 yard plinking load. Out of the 8 3/8" .500 S&W it shot about a 10" group shooting 2 handed standing. I had to hold a little high at 200 but if I put the original front sight blade back on, it will be right on at 200.
nice you could compete with the garands at 200 with a load like that and the skills....nice..

Smelted about 110 pounds of pure lead into ingots.
Carried 170 pounds of mixed scrap shot into the shop. Next time I think I'll put it into more than 2 containers

Decapped, resized, and primed 1k .45ACP this weekend . Will be loading them under 230 gr. RN plated Berry's, with HP-38, in anticipation of picking up my new M&P Shield .45 this week. On vacation the following week ,will be a good time to hit the range and try out the new .45 and my reloads.

Smelted about 110 pounds of pure lead into ingots.
Carried 170 pounds of mixed scrap shot into the shop. Next time I think I'll put it into more than 2 containers

Nah, wait till the bucket gives out and your picking up shot for the next 10 years...[shocked] not that I know anything about that stuff[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom