What did you do in the reloading room recently?

s2fGtGMl.jpg

co8Y14Nl.jpg

AQ2hiH0l.jpg

I loaded the last of my 9mm bullets on Sunday. Got another 3k bullets arriving tomorrow. At 150+ grains each, the mailman is going to love me lol.

Also ran into a bunch of Winchester 9mm cases with crimped primer pockets[angry] They were in a lot of once fired Win cases I bought recently. I was too cheap to scrap them so I removed the crimp.

Last edited:
I loaded the last of my 9mm bullets on Sunday. Got another 3k bullets arriving tomorrow. At 150+ grains each, the mailman is going to love me lol.

Also ran into a bunch of Winchester 9mm cases with crimped primer pockets[angry] They were in a lot of once fired Win cases I bought recently. I was too cheap to scrap them so I removed the crimp.

Military brass?

and Michael J. Spangler...what the eff am I looking at?

- - - Updated - - -

Just sorted about 2 gallons of brass.
Batch of 38 tumbling as we speak. Next will be 45.
I did find a turned 38 special case in the mix. Kind of cool. I wonder if there are any others I missed. I only noticed this one because the mouth was split and a little crushed.
I'll have to show some pics.

nevermind...this was back a page.

Loaded about 30 30/06 (300 to go...) and polished all of the .357 Mag brass that was emptied on Sat.

Sighting in the pistol for 100 yd. shoot this weekend so got to pack the .357 shells before then.......

And is that 'turned' like 'machined?'

Yeah some companies still offer turned custom brass for obsolete cartridges.
Looks like this place is selling their business though.
http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/products.htm

I'm guessing this was some run of brass someone made at home. I can't see the benefit of turning 38 special brass when you can get it anywhere. Especially since turned brass doesn't last as long either.

Yeah... That's just weird unless they just didn't have access to it at the time...or just wanted to make something. I can understand both approaches, I guess...but I can't recall ever wanting to shoot THAT much!

- - - Updated - - -

ETA...I'll keep a few spam cans of the Russian stuff around, just in case that ever happens!

I shot the 10mm loads this morning. It was the first time I shot a 10mm and here are my thoughts. It's much faster than the .45acp. Even the light loads pushed a 180 grain bullet at over 1100 fps. Recoil from a 10mm is supposed to be bad but I didn't find it any worse than the .45acp. It was quite accurate. I have lots of load development to do but it looks promising.

I shoot 44mag and 500 regularly, so my idea of recoil is bias. But get those 180gr 10mm rounds breaking 1300fps, it won't feel like a 45 anymore, more like a 357.

Started adapting an extra multitube case feeder to work on the bullet feeder. This adaptation is different then how the Lee Multitube Bullet Feeder mounts since I wanted to have about 6-8 bullets still in the feeder and still be able to change tubes. This will prevent the bullet spilling that occurs when the feeder gets too low. Used polyethylene tubing that is semi-flexible, but I managed to get most of the bend out of it by filling with bullets, taping the ends and running it in hot water. Initially tried setting it in the oven at 200, but that didn't work out well (good thing I had enough extra tubing). The tubing that I used as a junction between the multitube and the feeder works, but I will instead use a short piece of iron pipe.

Yes, I know that I could have just bought the multitube feeder for about $15.00, but that isn't the point. I just wanted to make one my way. [smile]

Started adapting an extra multitube case feeder to work on the bullet feeder. This adaptation is different then how the Lee Multitube Bullet Feeder mounts since I wanted to have about 6-8 bullets still in the feeder and still be able to change tubes. This will prevent the bullet spilling that occurs when the feeder gets too low. Used polyethylene tubing that is semi-flexible, but I managed to get most of the bend out of it by filling with bullets, taping the ends and running it in hot water. Initially tried setting it in the oven at 200, but that didn't work out well (good thing I had enough extra tubing). The tubing that I used as a junction between the multitube and the feeder works, but I will instead use a short piece of iron pipe.

Yes, I know that I could have just bought the multitube feeder for about $15.00, but that isn't the point. I just wanted to make one my way. [smile]

Post some pics and dimensions - I may be able to turn on the lathe something that fits better than an off the shelf pipe or tube

Chronoed my 9mm loads earlier today to confirm they make PF for tomorrow's IDPA NER champsionship. I had them chronoed at MA state IDPA championship back in May but figured I'd check em again.

I was glad to see that 10 rounds showed an ES of 14 and SD of 7. At 150+ grains each, they easily made 129-130 PF. I think it's helped that I started charging/seating/crimping separately from sizing/priming/expanding. Doesn't shake the press/powder hopper as much this way. I seem to recall having an ES of 40+ before I started reloading this way.

Last edited:

is there a collator? If you have to manually place the bullets into the tubes the correct way, why not just place them on the shell while its in the press?

Got down to the range last Saturday with the new S&W Shield .45, Shoot a box of Factory ammo just to see what the firing pin mark looked like, then shot 250 rounds of my reloads. Everything went boom, and all the primers had the same strike marks. Nothing showed any signs of excess pressure. Or any issues with FTF of FTE . All and all I'm really happy with the firearm and my reloads.

Loaded up 500 rounds of four-tay:
Mixed brass
Precision 185GR coated lead bullets "the black bullet"
4.3gr Titegroup
COL = 1.12x

These have chono'd ~900fps from my Sig 229.

Since I don't have a Rock Chucker Bullet Swager set, I figured I'd find another use for the empty .22LRs - essentially they make a 6.5mm+ projectile as measured from the rim. Now to find someone that shoots the .30-30...

7blkudTl.jpg

Total projectile weight: ~ 75 grains.
Devastating on water jugs. So far they are stable out to 100 meters and they really make crisp holes in paper, if that's your objective.

Last edited:
Since I don't have a Rock Chucker Bullet Swager set, I figured I'd find another use for the empty .22LRs - essentially they make a 6.5mm+ projectile as measured from the rim. Now to find someone that shoots the .30-30...

7blkudTl.jpg

Devastating on water jugs. So far they are stable out to 100 meters and they really make crisp holes in paper, if that's your objective.

Thats great... my Friend received his uncles "stuff"
Random reloading stuff, slings, holsters and 30 cal Sabot....his dad laughed when my friend asked asked what they where. His dad said his uncle stuffed anything and everything in them.

Been loading up batches of 357 Magnum. 158jhp over 15.5 h110. Couple hundred between yesterday and today. Had a batch of 30.06 for the Garand that's been sitting in the tray for a week I loaded into enblocs.

7blkudTl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpT0v0nWFYA

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone loaded for 6.5 Grendel or Creedmoor? I'm looking for powder suggestions to work up loads.

Grendel is a hunting load behind a Barnes 120 gr TTSX

Creedmoor is 1,000 yards behind a 147 gr ELD-M.

My Grendel load was 27.5 grains of AA 2520 pushing a Hornsby 123 grain. It's what my rifle liked the best.

Personally, I haven't done any scientific testing, but the .22LR sabot are quite devastating on water-filled cans and bottles...

Z0JXMjul.jpg

gDUIktJl.jpg

I'll have to try some gallon jugs taped together and some boxes filled with newspaper and magazines.

Anyone load 30-40 Krag? I found 16 once fired Graf's 30-40 Krag cases at the range and snatched them quickly so they wouldn't get scrapped. Figured someone might be able to use them.

Loaded a test batch of 147 gr coated lead round nose 9mm over 2.7 gr and 2.9 gr of Titegroup at 1.135" COAL. Will try them tonight. I expect 2.7 will be slow, and 2.9 will be right on the margin (860ish). After this batch, I will see how it's going and run some up at 3.1 and 3.3.

Back
Top Bottom