What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Honestly very few people load pistol rounds for pure accuracy reasons. Mostly it's a cost or availability issue they are solving. With that said, I think your accuracy is fine so pick the lightest load that cycles the gun reliably. I'd add a tenth of a grain to that and call it a day.

This isn't match rifle loading. $0.02

Honestly very few people load pistol rounds for pure accuracy reasons. Mostly it's a cost or availability issue they are solving. With that said, I think your accuracy is fine so pick the lightest load that cycles the gun reliably. I'd add a tenth of a grain to that and call it a day.

This isn't match rifle loading. $0.02

VERY good points taken from that. perhaps i'll stick to the 4.7gr charge to save powder. The accuracy was on par with the 4.9gr charge, i just liked the recoil a little more because i wasn't expecting how friggen LIGHT shooting lead would feel! it's like shooting a heavy 22!

Not exactly reloading bench activity, but I did load these at the bench recently...
Fired a few of these into a box stuffed with junk mail and magazines. Shot from about 20 yards in an FR-7 (7.62x51mm; bullets recovered are in my hand) and also from about 50 meters in a K31 (7.5x55mm). The latter were reduced loads, I suspect (sorry, I didn't record the load data on these). All made clean holes into the box (even some fired previously at 100 meters made the same clean holes). None exited the box (about 4-5" penetration) except one that didn't catch much bulk inside.

7xt7Y61l.jpg

JL47sKxl.jpg

NXjOzKXl.jpg

TpFRWJNl.jpg

3IwpXhdl.jpg

Last edited:
Fixed the press. It turns out that I bent my decapping pin and then trying to seat a new primer with the old one still in caused the arm to break. Got a Hornady decapping die and will return it right away. POS! The pin wouldnt stay centered.

After setting the press back up I loaded some practice rounds and started loading up for Area 7.

Converted some 30-06 HXP 77 head stamp brass to 7.7Japanese.
Sorted some 200 grain .314" cast bullets to lube later and load up a test batch between 2 powders.
18 grains 2400 and a light load of H4895

Coated some 9mm and some 44 I had laying around.
Cast some cool "collar buttons" from a modified .457 RB mould I snagged on castboolits forum.
They weight about 163 grains and will be loaded in 45/70 cases with a pinch of bullseye.
j8pHQVAl.jpg

k7no5i9l.jpg

iIA0elll.jpg

Cast some cool "collar buttons" from a modified .457 RB mould I snagged on castboolits forum.
They weight about 163 grains and will be loaded in 45/70 cases with a pinch of bullseye.
j8pHQVAl.jpg

k7no5i9l.jpg

iIA0elll.jpg

Those should be fun and should get some of the reactions I get with my powder puff loads....
"Hey I think your ammo is bad" is a common one for me.

Those should be fun and should get some of the reactions I get with my powder puff loads....
"Hey I think your ammo is bad" is a common one for me.
I love that one.
I love loading 2 balls in a 38 special. 12 holes with 6 shots. Always gets people wondering.

I loaded several test batches in 38 supercomp. 124gr JHP over N350, 3N38, and N105. Probably shoot over the chronograph tomorrow.

21200843_1547512231968804_4802844855570678684_o.jpg

Nice. No ibejiheads?...or are coated bullets not a good combination with the compensator?

I loaded some practice rounds and started loading up for Area 7.

Nice to see you got registered for Area 7!

Also did the same. Loaded about 400 rounds today and 300 yesterday. Hoping I can practice tomorrow since I won't have much time to shoot after work this week.

j8pHQVAl.jpg

k7no5i9l.jpg

iIA0elll.jpg

Sweet. Those the ~325 gr 44 bullets?...

Nice. No ibejiheads?...or are coated bullets not a good combination with the compensator?

They offer and Alex shoots a harder alloy made to run well in open guns at the extreme velocity with minimal comp buildup. I opted to go with the JHP , already using new brass at 15 cents a piece and premium VV powder.

No shit...I've driven two hours for a bad hand job before. I coulda done that shit myself!

I'm driving about the same distance, dude...you might as well pony up and learn something new!

Lol. Yeah its a lame excuse I know. The wife's bday is on the 28th (turning 30) so I'm sure she'll want to do something. I'll see what I can do [laugh]

They offer and Alex shoots a harder alloy made to run well in open guns at the extreme velocity with minimal comp buildup. I opted to go with the JHP , already using new brass at 15 cents a piece and premium VV powder.

Ohh gotcha. Yeah might as well use nice bullets to go with the powder and brass. Are those PD bullets?

I was getting pissed because my new rounds were shooting about four inches high at 15 yards and I couldn't adjust the rear sight down anymore. After cleaning it up at home, I noticed that the rear sight should still have had plenty of range left so I checked and sure enough the set screw backed out and was limiting the rear sight travel. It should be fine now, but the height from Titegroup also made my front sight's loctite to break free. Will sight it in tomorrow once the loctite cures.

j8pHQVAl.jpg

I have always wanted something in .45-70. Now I really want one so that I can load something like this and have a ball- no pun intended.

Someone periodically making this mold?

Too much crap going on and some lost weekends for work travel. Really enjoyed the seminar last year & maybe will return next year assuming it's run again.

Bought some 155 TMK's on sale and with a discount coupon. Have not shot them yet but hope to have them loaded up this week for a test at 200 yards.

I loaded several test batches in 38 supercomp. 124gr JHP over N350, 3N38, and N105. Probably shoot over the chronograph tomorrow.

I fired 150 rounds over my chronograph today. Here is a comparison of the 3 powders I tested, each loaded to achieve the same Power Factor (124gr at 1400fps = 173 PF)
Shooting the 3 loads mixed in the same magazine, I notice no difference in felt recoil, the dot tracks the same, the only negative is the 3N38 is louder

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom