What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Did I miss something? I thought we were talking about the Mosin round which is 7.62x54R. How did we get to the 8x56R which is an Austrian round that came a few decades later? I will agree that the Mosin has a hefty recoil. I think of all the WWII rifles, only the Mauser kicks harder.
I think most of the kick is from poor stock geometry.

4DA42A81-1413-4B33-B61C-1B373C6EAFE6.jpeg 1E7956A6-AF81-4CEC-80EA-854EB58564F7.jpeg
What grinds my gears about lee dies. I went to the lgs and looked at the lee pace setter die sets on the shelf and you can see the decap sizing pin is off center just like my slightly used one I have. Causing the neck to be off almost .010

I feel as if I am expecting to much from lee and for some ak x39 loads. But this is the first I’ve seen where I can visibly see the neck is off after sizing. I only put it in the case master ®️© because It looked off.

Anyway. Brought home rcbs x39 set and it’s only off .004569

View attachment 727578View attachment 727579
What grinds my gears about lee dies. I went to the lgs and looked at the lee pace setter die sets on the shelf and you can see the decap sizing pin is off center just like my slightly used one I have. Causing the neck to be off almost .010

I feel as if I am expecting to much from lee and for some ak x39 loads. But this is the first I’ve seen where I can visibly see the neck is off after sizing. I only put it in the case master ®️© because It looked off.

Come borrow my set of RCBS blackout dies and see how they perform. Or bring that fancy measuring device over here.

You gots too much time on your hands man.

Come borrow my set of RCBS blackout dies and see how they perform. Or bring that fancy measuring device over here.

You gots too much time on your hands man.
Spangler, I had a feeling you were going to tell me I was getting silly!

But that’s a ok thing. Because I sized a lot of brass then noticed the situation and started feeling a kind of way about what was going on. Then I turned to NES for some comfort and a shoulder rub

Spangler, I had a feeling you were going to tell me I was getting silly!

But that’s a ok thing. Because I sized a lot of brass then noticed the situation and started feeling a kind of way about what was going on. Then I turned to NES for some comfort and a shoulder rub
And anytime you want me to bring over the CASE MASTER ®️© I will. And we can get silly and compare cases youknowhatimean

View attachment 727578View attachment 727579

Its Lee , lee is what it is.
I have not purchased any lee dies in a few years. For the price point especially pace setters they are what they are.
Now I have to ask what “type” buys Lee shit anf then measures with “fancy” equipment. LOL

Its Lee , lee is what it is.
O have not purchased and lee dies in a few years. For the price point especially pace setters they are what they are.
Now I have to ask what “type” buys Lee shit anf then measures with “fancy” equipment. LOL
I’m that type. Have you ever heard the term “he is so smart, he is stupid” the rcbs CASE MASTER ™️ ®️ isn’t fancy. I’d say It’s fair to midland. Some might even consider it skin flint even. Looo

I have both the Lee and RCBS 300AAC dies
RCBS is the small base set.
RCBS forms a better case hands down
The RCBS I picked up is a small base set and the brass looks better and just feels better. I picked up the pace setter dies years ago pretty much just for yucks. because I didn’t even have any brass. Just loaded steel tula on hand.

Is there a hard stop for the base of the case ? Similar to this?

Attachments

• IMG20230303181353.jpg
    IMG20230303181353.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20230303181344.jpg
    IMG20230303181344.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I’m that type. Have you ever heard the term “he is so smart, he is stupid” the rcbs CASE MASTER ™️ ®️ isn’t fancy. I’d say It’s fair to midland. Some might even consider it skin flint even. Looo
I've seen some case measuring devices that belong in a full metrology lab.
Looked up that one - for what 99.9% of people need that will perform very well.
And for a decent price.

😂 the machine shop is a grand-uncle, I just have the pencil for bointing. Any more of a concentricity gauge than the CASE MASTER ™️ is a waste of money for my needs
Hey can I borrow that to setup some ammo for my new build

I seriously wouldn't want substandard ammo in my $400 "dream" build [rofl]

I finished an annealing machine today. A couple additional things to work on and to ensure consistency, but was able to do 200 pieces of brass in about 20 minutes. I used Tempilaq to ensure I was getting the correct temperature (750 F) on the inside of the case neck. It took a few times to figure out how it worked. I ended up just shining a flashlight into the neck so I could clearly see the change to a clear liquid. For 30-06 cases, it takes about 6 seconds to reach 750 in the neck.

My inspiration came from this person here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xE-6bSwME

Some things to do to clean it up and make it better, but at least it is working now. Total cost was about $75 for all of the parts and the tempilaq was $35. Some parts were 3d printed

I built it to extend the life of my brass and potentially get more consistency.

Came across this thread when googling S&B NT primers. View attachment 728624
Very interesting. On a side note a gentleman on CastBoolits with some fancy equipment measured the pressure difference of a standard flash hole vs an enlarged flash hole. He noted no significant difference in pressures.
So the whole story about larger flash holes and blowing up your gun seems to be hogwash.

Back
Top Bottom