What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've had a bunch of primers that got stuck when I first started and even occasionally now.
Upside down, sideways, squashed.
I was petrified when trying to remove them.
Never been able to have one go off. Prying, poking, driving them out with a hammer and nail.

Came close to hurting myself! Using my turret rcbs......finished making a cartridge and go to take it out of the shell holder and it won't come out. Shit. Ok so I take it out shell holder and all. Turn it upside down and see the issue......primer got jammed in sideways. So.....I grab a cleaning pick and start to dig it out and said "ho Lee f***"........that's a loaded cartridge I'm poking at the primer of! I was using the powder thru expanding die so it is charged! Stopped righ then and set it aside and grabbed a spare shell holder to keep loading. Not even a week ago I had a primer go in sideways and used that pick to dig it out.....and set the primer off in the process! That one had only been resized and primed wasn't run complete through the process like this one was tonight!

Now....

1. Anyone else had this happen?
2. How'd you get it out?
3. Be careful at the press gentlemen!

View attachment 725577View attachment 725578View attachment 725579View attachment 725580
Impact puller to pull down the round, then proceed as usual

I've had a bunch of primers that got stuck when I first started and even occasionally now.
Never been able to have one go off. Prying, poking, driving them out with a hammer and nail.
Universal decapping die makes quick work of messed up primers

Universal decapping die makes quick work of messed up primers
That was when I first started.
Priming with a Lee bench primer.
Too noob to understand it just doesn't work the way you'd logically think it should.
Getting pissed because I had to take the thing apart, walk the shell holder with stuck case outside, then knock the primer out to separate case and shell holder.

Setting one off in an uncharged cartridge is no big deal. I've done it a few times. Just scares the shit out of you. Setting one off in a loaded cartridge.......might have damaged my hands and eyes. I can't believe I was that stupid to even try it......and glad I realized what I was doing.

Last edited:
Soak it in water and pick it out.

Or.

screw a deck screw into the wad cutter.

Place the shell holder in your press. Remove any dies.
Raise the ram. Grab the deck screw with a pair of pliers.
Lower the ram.

Should pull that wad cutter out and then you can deal with the rest.
Pulled the wad cutter like you suggested with a screw and pliers. Got the primer out with the pick.

Don't know what I was thinking when I started poking that primer last night......fml. I almost shit myself when I remembered it was a loaded case. Usually I resize, prime, expand then take the case out and drop a charge on my throw then put it back on the press to seat the bullet and crimp. I switched the process last night to use a funnel on top of the expanding die and was using the scale and powder trickler to set the charge then dump the charge in the funnel so I wasn't taking the case off until it was complete.

Gotta be careful when u change any part of the process.

Pulled the wad cutter like you suggested with a screw and pliers. Got the primer out with the pick.

Don't know what I was thinking when I started poking that primer last night......fml. I almost shit myself when I remembered it was a loaded case. Usually I resize, prime, expand then take the case out and drop a charge on my throw then put it back on the press to seat the bullet and crimp. I switched the process last night to use a funnel on top of the expanding die and was using the scale and powder trickler to set the charge then dump the charge in the funnel so I wasn't taking the case off until it was complete.

Gotta be careful when u change any part of the process.
My favorite is when on my 550 I get to the end of the batch and see a new primer sitting either on the anvil in station 1 or off to the side on the frame. Then I look in the bin full of loaded rounds and try to figure out which one all the powder is coming from...

Got a new tub of Hornady corn cob media for my tumbler. I got a tub of Lyman Walnut shell "with polishing agent" and it sucks! Tumble a batch for 4 hours and the brass comes out with green residue all over it! Brass is dull and pasty.

I dumped it put and went back to my favorite Hornady corn cob. That media is fantastic......brass shines perfect after 3 to 4 hours and no residue.

Craziest thing…picking through scrounged brass and I found a case with a LIVE primer, NO powder, and the BULLET INSIDE THE CASE! The bullet was a previously pulled bullet (you can see the indentations on the nose). The top half of the bullet pops out if you turn the case upside down. The only thing I can figure is the crimp/sizing was poor and when chambering it, it was forced into the case. The neck has slight damage. Any ideas as to how this could have happened? PSA..Inspect that scrounged brass.

Came close to hurting myself! Using my turret rcbs......finished making a cartridge and go to take it out of the shell holder and it won't come out. Shit. Ok so I take it out shell holder and all. Turn it upside down and see the issue......primer got jammed in sideways. So.....I grab a cleaning pick and start to dig it out and said "ho Lee f***"........that's a loaded cartridge I'm poking at the primer of! I was using the powder thru expanding die so it is charged! Stopped righ then and set it aside and grabbed a spare shell holder to keep loading. Not even a week ago I had a primer go in sideways and used that pick to dig it out.....and set the primer off in the process! That one had only been resized and primed wasn't run complete through the process like this one was tonight!

Now....

1. Anyone else had this happen?
2. How'd you get it out?
3. Be careful at the press gentlemen!
Got a new tub of Hornady corn cob media for my tumbler. I got a tub of Lyman Walnut shell "with polishing agent" and it sucks! Tumble a batch for 4 hours and the brass comes out with green residue all over it! Brass is dull and pasty.

Happens to me once in a while, I just dunk the round in water and pick away.

I dumped it put and went back to my favorite Hornady corn cob. That media is fantastic......brass shines perfect after 3 to 4 hours and no residue.

I use the stuff from the pet store (reptile bedding crushed walnut) and throw in a few drops of any Finish.

I’ve switch between dry and wet tumble depending the need. Wet is best but takes forever for the cases to dry.

So as a follow on to my previous post, the Dillon Powder die gave an alarm of an over charged case on case 61.

Removing the case from press the powder level visually appeared high. I tapped and vibrated case thinking powder might settle, but it didn’t. I dumped and reweighed powder and it was spot on.

I put powder back in case and it looked high and again powder check die alarmed high. I dumped powder back on scale, it checked good. I put powder charge in a different case, it visually looked right and powder die checked good.

I repeated the above three more times. That one case had the same problem every time. While doing this I inspected inside of case and nothing was apparent. Measured exterior of case nothing notable. I weighed case, and it not out of norm for 10 other cases I weighed. I used two cases that weighed the same or more in the repeat tests above.

At this point I have isolated the case for further study. What is known about this lot of 100 pieces of brass. They are all once fired Hornady factory ammo. All 147 grain ELD match, from five boxes of the same lot that I purchased at the same time. All were shot from the same rifle, and not used in a match where I might have someones else’s brass. The possibility that in range practice ( where shells are ejected on ground) I picked up a piece of random brass exists. It is low probability, but not zero.

tis a puzzlement. Next step is to fire up the borescope and closely inspect interior of case. Not tonight though
We’ll I should have used the borescope, but instead went with filling with water and weighing. First I knocked out live primer, and put in spent one. Grabbed a similar processed cartridged and did the same. Using my best analytical lab technique I weighed then filled with water and reweighed. Difference in water capacity was 1.0 grain between cases. No biggy.

But when shaking water out of suspect case I saw a bit of wet crap trying to get through the neck. I had to pull out with tweezers. I flattened it to squeeze out water and let dry. It’s in picture on scale. Primer shown on scale for size and scale was zeroed with primer on it.

More like lint then felt. Don’t know where it came from or how it got inside. I found nothing like it around loading area.

Attachments

• 3C2DE973-8CA8-4B23-9853-F131AC317724.jpeg
    3C2DE973-8CA8-4B23-9853-F131AC317724.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Now that my work week has gone from about 80 hours to almost no hours, I have the time to be like a mad scientist in the reloading room. The 03 Springfield likes 150 grain bullets better than 168. 4064, 4350 and Varget are so close at 200 yards that it could be me. Varget won by a small margin so I loaded 46, 47, 48 and 49 grains. If it doesn't show a preference, I'll go with the lightest.

Now that my work week has gone from about 80 hours to almost no hours, I have the time to be like a mad scientist in the reloading room. The 03 Springfield likes 150 grain bullets better than 168. 4064, 4350 and Varget are so close at 200 yards that it could be me. Varget won by a small margin so I loaded 46, 47, 48 and 49 grains. If it doesn't show a preference, I'll go with the lightest.
I found the 4064 @ 47 gr with 147 gr FMJ worked very well !

Setting one off in an uncharged cartridge is no big deal. I've done it a few times. Just scares the shit out of you. Setting one off in a loaded cartridge.......might have damaged my hands and eyes. I can't believe I was that stupid to even try it......and glad I realized what I was doing.
Hasn't happened for a while, but I have had a number of 9mm rounds turn up with sideways primers upon inspecting finished work. :oops:
I would use the impact puller to unload the case and then a universal de-priming die to push out the crooked primer. Also was given a lot of milsurp primed cases with staked/crimped primers...pushed those out no problem (wearing glasses and ear pro) with no detonations...

Happens to me once in a while, I just dunk the round in water and pick away.

I use the stuff from the pet store (reptile bedding crushed walnut) and throw in a few drops of any Finish.

I’ve switch between dry and wet tumble depending the need. Wet is best but takes forever for the cases to dry.
Lizard litter , works great I use a mix of OMS and NuFinish works great and last a long time.
I stocked up on a BOGO and got 3 damaged bags for $1 ea. 10 years later I still have plenty.

If your shooting 200 yards most of the time running lower powder charges are fine.
My pet load for varget 30-06 is 44.5 grains for M1 and 1903a3
H4895 I run less in the 03

I did notice that powder charges for the M1 are less than for the 03. I'd rather not have to make 2 loads. If the M1 load works well in the 03, I'll use that load in both.
That's what I do. Run the Nosler 168 gr custom comps over IMR-4064. It's been years since I reloaded 30-06 but I think I was using 44 or 45 grains? Laser beam in the 1903A3 and good accuracy in the M1

I did notice that powder charges for the M1 are less than for the 03. I'd rather not have to make 2 loads. If the M1 load works well in the 03, I'll use that load in both.
I use the 47 grs 4064 for both the M1 and the 03 with very good results. I've also had great luck in both the M1 and 03 with a load for Sierra 168 gr (#2200) bullets using 47 grs IMR4895. YMMV

Give it a try and you would be surprised how well a M1 functions on H4895 powder at slightly lower powder charges

How's your shoulder doing after the M95/30 ?? 😁

Not too bad....though I only put 20 rounds through it, lol

I have some surplus 56r and some clips if interested aprox 35 rounds and 4 clips

If you're looking to get rid of it I'd be interested.

The 8x56r could really benefit from some Ackley Improving

I'd be curious to see what that could yield. 8x56r is no slouch of a round as it stands so I wonder what could happen if it had some more case capacity.

Did I miss something? I thought we were talking about the Mosin round which is 7.62x54R. How did we get to the 8x56R which is an Austrian round that came a few decades later? I will agree that the Mosin has a hefty recoil. I think of all the WWII rifles, only the Mauser kicks harder.

Back
Top Bottom