• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

his attachments in there do not seem to open - what was the general consensus there anyway?

Cranked out some more x39 with 200 gr lubed gc, Used a noe .313 neck expander for .315 heads and passes the plunk test fabulous. Pulled a boolit or 2 and found no bulled swaging. It’s the new favorite round. RCBS SB T/C dies yielded much better results all the way around View attachment 728829
Oooo nice! Need some gel testing now.

30 carbine.

14.3 gn of H110 with Federal SRP and a 110 gn plated projectile.

I’m trying a couple different lengths to see which has better accuracy. Made up 100 at 1.660 COAL these are another 100 at 1.670. Max is 1.680. Aguila out of the box is 1.636.

Attachments

• CB8C1EF5-5954-45AC-A957-9DE497D84B9E.jpeg
    CB8C1EF5-5954-45AC-A957-9DE497D84B9E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
The accuracy of the AK-47 at 100 yards was dismal. The group was about a foot for 10 shots. That rifle has been used by my son and his pals since they were in school and has probably fired about 30,000 rounds. He'll try again with a rifle of the same mfg. that has fired very few rounds.
Probably cheap steel jacketed stuff also.
Watched a video years ago that showed best bang for the buck was steel jacketed and changing out the barrel.

The group was about a foot for 10 shots.
for an older AK it is about of what it does... boroscope the barrel and check the crown, like, take the round or bullet and see if it drops freely now through the crown into the barrel - if it does, then, well, it is it.

if crown is still more or less intact and barrel not 100% worn out yet - there may be something that can be done to improve the state of affairs, but, well. it is what it is, usually.

Bought some Taylor Freelance mag extensions, +12.

Tried to load them with my std 124 grn 9mm at 1.15 OAL and failed miserably. Would get 24 rounds in, then jam.

Swapped emails with customer support and did some reading. Changed press to make OAL 1.124 and tried again. Fit so took to range and function checked.

Then the fun part. Empty the primers, shut off the case feed and cycle 600+ rounds through. Which shortened each 26/1000 of an inch and makes them work.

Label that box appropriately, ‘cause I can use everything else already loaded In my other mags; just need to know that these bullets are needed for those mags.

The reason for the mags is that i can run them in pcsl matches. 170mm no diff between major/minor scoring.

And moving forward all ammo will be good in all mags. It’s just the ammo on my shelves that i have to keep track of OAL.

.026 - shit.

that does not matter much, it is made to shoot steel ammo. it just does not last, especially cheaper clones.

Bimetal jackets increase wear on the barrel but the cost over time is less for a given accuracy tolerance - By the time the steel jackets wear out the barrel the savings can pay for a new barrel.

Bimetal jackets increase wear on the barrel but the cost over time is less for a given accuracy tolerance - By the time the steel jackets wear out the barrel the savings can pay for a new barrel.
it really depends upon which clone it is and how poorly was barrel made, and out of what exactly.
a shitty soft steel barrel wears out at a crown much faster than throat can deteriorate.
considering that for a lot of brand new ak47s the out of box new accuracy is 4 or even 5moa. an old one spitting a 10 or 12 - well, it is just what it is, again.

i have heard that vz58 is rather significantly better in that regard, but, have no good reasons to venture into 7.62x39, ever.

it really depends upon which clone it is and how poorly was barrel made, and out of what exactly.
considering that for a lot of brand new ak47s the out of box new accuracy is 4 or even 5moa. old one spitting a 10 or 12 - well, it is just what it is, again.
Doesn't change the wear difference between bimetal and copper jackets.
However, if the AK had seen 30k rounds it was due for a new barrel regardless of the quality of the ammo

Doesn't change the wear difference between bimetal and copper jackets.
However, if the AK had seen 30k rounds it was due for a new barrel regardless of the quality of the ammo
the whole concept of 'to rebarrel an AK47' - that just screams 'only in amerika'. :) you throw old one into garbage and just get a new one from the box.

Back
Top Bottom