What did you do in the reloading room recently?

👌🏻
Those the 158s or 125s?
158s....with 15 grains of imr4227. Not a max charge.....can go to 16.3 according to Lyman 50th. But they are stout enough at that charge.

Imr4227 is funny stuff. Meters like a dream.....very accurate for carbine use......but it leaves "kernels" of powder behind in the action. Not anything that causes cycling issues just annoying. Seen the kernels in the ruger carbine 44 mag when using 4227 reloads too.

Now that cartridges are no longer carried in leather loops, is there a practical purpose for nickel plated brass? Just curious.
I have no idea about practicality......they just look awesome.

One bonus is that after they are fired they are clean......can just wipe the residue off with your fingers. I do tumble nickel but it's really not even necessary.

Last edited:
that press looks too clean! o_O Looks like a marketing photo :)

How consistent did you find those 240gn bullets? I'm about to load a bunch
A random 300 piece sample yielded this:

100% pass - SAAMI tolerance of +/-1.5%
86% pass - +/- 1.0 %
40% pass - +/- 0.5%

Going with 239-241 (+/-1.0 gn) I got about 60%, and 20% each for 237.0-238.9 and 241.1-243.0. I just have 3 buckets now, and load in batches from each bucket. Once I'm done with this 1000 bullet batch I'll let you know,

Yeah - the turret does look like neat-freak central doesn't it.......:D

Last edited:
I have no idea about practicality......they just look awesome.

One bonus is that after they are fired they are clean......can just wipe the residue off with your fingers. I do tumble nickel but it's really not even necessary.
They have a slickness to them brass does not, great for the drop in speedloaders..

Picked up 150 lbs of WW ingots and a 30 lb Lino ingot - neighbor found a guy selling bulk and picked up some for me while he grabbed a bunch
Now if I could just find primers that didn't come with a mortgage.

Depends upon what you define as a mortgage. My break point is .10/primer. I can find them for less, sometimes, but it means constant scouring of the major online providers - and they have limits - typically one or two boxes, (where box = 1000 primers) - and then add hazmat and shipping. Ends up working out to 8 or 9 cents per primer.

Weston shooters will sell to those with a MA LTC:

If you're anywhere near The Mill, Defensive Dynamics is selling the same primers, (came from that buy).

Cost at either looks to be about .10/primer.

Depends upon what you define as a mortgage. My break point is .10/primer. I can find them for less, sometimes, but it means constant scouring of the major online providers - and they have limits - typically one or two boxes, (where box = 1000 primers) - and then add hazmat and shipping. Ends up working out to 8 or 9 cents per primer.

Weston shooters will sell to those with a MA LTC:

If you're anywhere near The Mill, Defensive Dynamics is selling the same primers, (came from that buy).

Cost at either looks to be about .10/primer.
I'm not out of my 3c primers yet so my pain threshold right now is 60/k - at 50, I would pick up 5-10k
My threshold is not realistic right now but I'm hoping prices will level out around 50 sometime in the spring, if not I'll be forced to start an Only Fans page page and do naughty stuff for primers.

I'm not out of my 3c primers yet so my pain threshold right now is 60/k - at 50, I would pick up 5-10k
My threshold is not realistic right now but I'm hoping prices will level out around 50 sometime in the spring, if not I'll be forced to start an Only Fans page page and do naughty stuff for primers.

I've got perhaps 7K of 3c primers, but I've been buying more because I see no end in sight of the shortage - and I'm hearing way too many people say "I'm not shooting because I can't get primers to reload".

Looking at Ammoseek just now, crap steelcase Tula is going for 30c per round.

My brass is "free", because I pick up range brass. Primers anywhere from 3c to 10c. 9mm 124 grn, (my most common load), 8c per piece. Powder? Math says 1750 loads from 1 lb of TiteGroup, (4.0 grains per load); it runs about 22.50 per pound, and I picked it up at the LGS; so add another 2c per round to be excessive.

So, my cost, even with 10c primers is about 20 cents per round; still way cheaper than the cheapest ammo - and I know exactly what I'm shooting - a round that makes power factor and runs all of my 9mm firearms.

And yes, I know - my time has a cost - I'm okay with that - it's quality time.

If you go the OnlyFans page - you might want to check with @namedpipes; he might be able to give you some pointers.

that press looks too clean! o_O Looks like a marketing photo :)

How consistent did you find those 240gn bullets? I'm about to load a bunch
I thought the same thing. My wife watched me reloading for the first time on my new Dillon, she was screaming at me "look at all the powder all over the place, do you know how much that stuff costs!"
Then she tries to pick up the individual grains and save them [rofl]

I thought the same thing. My wife watched me reloading for the first time on my new Dillon, she was screaming at me "look at all the powder all over the place, do you know how much that stuff costs!"
Then she tries to pick up the individual grains and save them [rofl]

I don't like agreeing with 'wives' in general :D but this time I have to................ OK, call me cheap.

Back
Top Bottom