What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Those are actually for 444 marlin but are the same diameter. Using them for 44 mag I have to seat them all the way down so they barely catch the cannilure to get the oal needed. They are very accurate. With the ruger carbine you can only use jacketed projos cuz it has a gas tube that can get plugged using lead. I found a bunch if these during the height of covid supply issues and bought em.....did some research and found they make a great accurate load.....just don't expect much expansion if using them for hunting because 44 mag doesn't reach anywhere near 444 marlin velocity which is what they are designed for.
I got some as part of a larger deal awhile back. I agree, they're accurate bullets. Not sure I'd want to pay retail!

There's a possibility that coated bullets will play nice enough with the Ruger 44, as the factory admonishment to stick to jacketed predates the popularity of Hi-Tech and powder coated HC bullets. Possibly one might still be better off running jacketed at first with a scarcely-used sample to smooth out any burrs around the gas port. Anyway, I have shot my Ruger 44 with Missouri 240 grain TCFP Hi-Tech coated bullets, subsequently cleaned it and found no evidence of existing or impending issues from the exercise. I didn't have a need to press the issue because I happen to have a much better stock of jacketed bullets for 44 magnum than HC.

I got some as part of a larger deal awhile back. I agree, they're accurate bullets. Not sure I'd want to pay retail!

There's a possibility that coated bullets will play nice enough with the Ruger 44, as the factory admonishment to stick to jacketed predates the popularity of Hi-Tech and powder coated HC bullets. Possibly one might still be better off running jacketed at first with a scarcely-used sample to smooth out any burrs around the gas port. Anyway, I have shot my Ruger 44 with Missouri 240 grain TCFP Hi-Tech coated bullets, subsequently cleaned it and found no evidence of existing or impending issues from the exercise. I didn't have a need to press the issue because I happen to have a much better stock of jacketed bullets for 44 magnum than HC.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah the interlocks are not cheep. Fortunately I don't shoot that rifle much. Had it since January and put maybe 120 rounds through it. Its not a rifle that'll take a pounding of range time it's a hunting gun that we take out every now and then to the range so I don't mind spending some money on jacketed projos or even factory ammo.

Thanks for the advice.
Just discussion, not advice. I have my doubts that the gas port will be adversely affected as long as the coated HC bullets are properly loaded (without shaving). If those bullets don't lead anything else, and if the gas port itself doesn't have a burr or anything, I don't see why they should clog up the gas port on a Ruger 44. Having said that, I've only done one experiment, and off the top of my head, I don't even remember how many rounds with Hi-Tech coated bullets I fired. Probably somewhere between 25 and 50.

Well, stopped by the range this morning (actually had some sun for a few hours) and shot some of the .44 mag rounds I made yesterday with the new Starline brass.

I continue to have good luck with Alliant Sport Pistol. These were moderate loads that seem to be just as good for 50' as 30'.

Here are the first 24 shots of the morning - 50', strong hand, 240gn LSWC., S&W629PC w/2-5/8".

I tell you - 50' (compared to 10m) seems like a L O N G way away. I always have that "one straggler" in the lower left. What's up with that.........:D

First_24_32Aug2021.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a first for me. Finding 500 S&W mag brass at the range. That’s got to be some pricy brass even if it’s nickel plated (Starline). Couldn’t allow it to be scrapped so I took it home 😂View attachment 514531
I find all sorts of “expensive” brass. Still plenty of shooters with much deeper pockets.

Anybody interested in the Hornady 10th edition reloading handbook? They are currently on the 11th. Its up to date except for a few cartridges like 6mm ARC, 6.5 PRC and 22-6, stuff that’s pretty new. Comment you want it and PM me your address. It might take me a couple weeks to get it out to you but I will, busy with work and vacation stuff.
Maybe a little late but NICE

Only boring brass prep going on here. I've been resizing, flaring, re-tumbling (just to make it look like new), and sorting (by head stamp) 38 special (and some 357 magnum) brass. I have about 1.5K pieces ready to prime, to join the 500 pieces I already have primed, probably another 2.5K of 38 special brass that I've resized with the RCBS cowboy die and need flaring and then re-tumbling before priming. When I'm done, I'll have this huge stash of primed 38 special brass ready to load. For the 38 special loads using the 125 grain coated HC bullets, I have a dedicated die set up to do a modest crimp while seating, so even on the single stage it will be pretty dang quick to put together 100 rounds whenever I need it. I don't normally try to do seating and crimping at the same time, but my 38 brass is reasonably uniform in length, and with the light crimp into a crimp groove it's forgiving when a slightly longer piece of brass forces a slightly tighter crimp. Long as that's still a normal amount of crimp, everything is copacetic.

The storm wasn't actually bad in the Monadnock region. A few hours of heavy rain last night. Windy.com showed that it passed over well to our south - just south of the MA border.

Our 5-year drought was eaten up in one month (July) - we don't need any more water. :cool:
I loaded about 20 9mm in afternoon yesterday. Then I spent the next 12hrs keeping water out if my basement....

I remembered I know how to reload. 115 IBEJ over 244 and BE-86, 147 XTP over BE86, 115 everglade FMJ over BE86 and 244. Also loaded first 38 sp, 158 IBEJ SWC over bullseye. I had to reread EC’s notes on how to set up dies. Hopefully my chrono will not go stupid like it did last time.

I am also not a fan of lee reloading dies, at least compared to RCBS. Also, their shell holder jammed up my hand primer, the spring would get caught in the shell holder, the diameter was not wide enough. I had to drill it out. Everyone in NH, that was me swearing the other night.

Tumbled a bunch of 7.62x39 boxer primed brass, ordered 4 lbs of CFE BLK, and six hundred 123gr .310 bullets.

Going to work up a load for a couple of SKS rifles.
I’ve been looking for bullets with that weight/diameter and haven’t found them in stock at my usual places. If you’re willing to share where you got them, please send me a PM.

I’m also looking for 7.62x39 boxer primed once fired brass if anyone has a source.

I’ve been looking for bullets with that weight/diameter and haven’t found them in stock at my usual places. If you’re willing to share where you got them, please send me a PM.

I’m also looking for 7.62x39 boxer primed once fired brass if anyone has a source.
The go to reloading vendor in the valley…has some Lapua x39 brass in stock but Jesus Christ it’s almost a $1 per case😳
73 cents plus shipping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom