What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Who makes a cast block for hollow point 9mm bullets? Was thinking about buying something to start tinkering with. All I see on Lee are flat/round nose. I'm not picky on grains. I've loaded 115-147 and for this application don't have a preference. Also understand I'll need a sizer, unsure who makes best one. And probably a coating finish of some type.

I realize some or all of these items might be a backorder situation.

Who makes a cast block for hollow point 9mm bullets? Was thinking about buying something to start tinkering with. All I see on Lee are flat/round nose. I'm not picky on grains. I've loaded 115-147 and for this application don't have a preference. Also understand I'll need a sizer, unsure who makes best one. And probably a coating finish of some type.

I realize some or all of these items might be a backorder situation.
You should consider attending the casting seminar in October that @Michael J. Spangler and his crew put on.

Made 100 45qcp 200 lswc last night.

Emptied the tumbler of a batch of 45acp brass. Started tumbling a small batch of 44 mag brass and set the dies up for 44 mag so I can load up 100 rounds tonight. Practice plates this Tuesday night and may bring the ruger 44 carbine ....we allow pcc on the plate rack and think I'll bring it along for something a little different than what most guys bring 😁

I'm in the groove lol

Made 100 45qcp 200 lswc last night.

Emptied the tumbler of a batch of 45acp brass. Started tumbling a small batch of 44 mag brass and set the dies up for 44 mag so I can load up 100 rounds tonight. Practice plates this Tuesday night and may bring the ruger 44 carbine ....we allow pcc on the plate rack and think I'll bring it along for something a little different than what most guys bring 😁

I'm in the groove lol
You surpassed the 75 38spl I made this week on my single stage
I got a new shipment of 45 ACP projectiles, so I will maybe make some of those this weekend or more 9mm.
All the 8x57 cases are tumbled, so I will try to prep those as well.

You surpassed the 75 38spl I made this week on my single stage
I got a new shipment of 45 ACP projectiles, so I will maybe make some of those this weekend or more 9mm.
All the 8x57 cases are tumbled, so I will try to prep those as well.
I switched from a single stage to a Lee turret about 2 years ago. Best move I've ever made. I keep a plate set up for my 45acp and 357 "pet loads" and can switch back and forth in a minute. I can run 100 rounds in about 40 minutes. Was well worth the $150 I spent on it. Highly recommend it.

I switched from a single stage to a Lee turret about 2 years ago. Best move I've ever made. I keep a plate set up for my 45acp and 357 "pet loads" and can switch back and forth in a minute. I can run 100 rounds in about 40 minutes. Was well worth the $150 I spent on it. Highly recommend it.
Turrets are great. I have them setup for 9, 44, 45 and .223.

Turrets are great. I have them setup for 9, 44, 45 and .223.
At the moment I'd guess I shoot 100-300 rounds a week.

I have plates and die sets for 9 & 44 for the LNL (with extra set/crimp dies for each bullet type). Even when I do one-at-a-time with 44 on the turret - it seems to go a lot faster than the single stage. I even got a second case-activated powder drop. I've only had the set-up a few months, but I've easily made thousands of rounds of both. I'm sold on the turret. :D

I love mine as well. I added the Lee Safety Prime and Case Ejector system by Inline Fabrication (Case ejector system for the LEE Classic turret. (Reverse rotation) - Inline Fabrication) and it doubled my output. The limiting factors are how quickly you can change the primer tray on the Safety Prime (I have a couple extra) and the volume of powder.

I reload on a Lee turret press and have modified it to my standards.I prime off press, on a single stage. Put a bullet feeder in slot #2 instead. So it’s a whole bunch faster with a reverse rotation index and a case kicker on the last stroke.It works for me as I probably only load and shoot around 2000 rounds of .45 and 9MM a month.

Last edited:
I reload on a Lee turret press and have modified it to my standards.I prime off press, on a single stage. Put a bullet feeder in slot #2 instead. So it’s a whole bunch faster with a reverse rotation index and a case kicker on the last stroke.It works for me as I probably load and shoot around 2000 rounds of .45 and 9MM a month.
I do much the same - resize, de-cap and prime on a single stage. Then flair, drop, lock-out, and then set/crimp on the turret.

I'm still fiddling with the combo die with full mag loads. Data is showing that bullet pull (Hornady combo) on the heavier loads is coming very close to the separate crimped (Lee collet) dimension the more I tweak the combo die. No biggee - I'm not a big "full mag" fan anyway. I don't hunt many dinosaurs. :D

Here’s a first for me. Finding 500 S&W mag brass at the range. That’s got to be some pricy brass even if it’s nickel plated (Starline). Couldn’t allow it to be scrapped so I took it home 😂View attachment 514531
I’ve only found one and it had a split case mouth. They’re damn shot glasses. I love them.

Interlocks. Fancy
Those are actually for 444 marlin but are the same diameter. Using them for 44 mag I have to seat them all the way down so they barely catch the cannilure to get the oal needed. They are very accurate. With the ruger carbine you can only use jacketed projos cuz it has a gas tube that can get plugged using lead. I found a bunch if these during the height of covid supply issues and bought em.....did some research and found they make a great accurate load.....just don't expect much expansion if using them for hunting because 44 mag doesn't reach anywhere near 444 marlin velocity which is what they are designed for.

Anybody interested in the Hornady 10th edition reloading handbook? They are currently on the 11th. Its up to date except for a few cartridges like 6mm ARC, 6.5 PRC and 22-6, stuff that’s pretty new. Comment you want it and PM me your address. It might take me a couple weeks to get it out to you but I will, busy with work and vacation stuff.

Attachments

• E3A6707A-996C-4A91-9360-96A442B7968F.jpeg
    E3A6707A-996C-4A91-9360-96A442B7968F.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 4
Anybody interested in the Hornady 10th edition reloading handbook? They are currently on the 11th. Its up to date except for a few cartridges like 6mm ARC, 6.5 PRC and 22-6, stuff that’s pretty new. Comment you want it and PM me your address. It might take me a couple weeks to get it out to you but I will, busy with work and vacation stuff.

I could use this! Thanks

Ran 100 each 45acp with 230 grain berry plated and 6.4 grains cfe pistol. Tested a batch of cfe pistol a few weeks ago and they ran fine at minimum charge......good enough for 6 inch plates at 25 feet anyway. Figure I'll save powder ans just run em at min charge.

Sorted a tumbler full of 357 brass and calling it a night.
20210822_165243.jpg

Back
Top Bottom