• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

P

Pellets are Crossman .22 cal pellet gun pellets. The twist top tin they come in can be used to carry blanks and pellets in a bugout bag or backpack, and they could be used in any .22 cal rifle or pistol. You stick a pellet in the chamber then stick a blank in behind it. My testing shows they are extremely high velocity and accurate out to 50-60 feet. Good enough to get a small game meal in a pinch. I've fired them in bolt action .22 rifles, Ruger MK II pistol and .22 shotgun adapter and .22 flaregun adapter.

View attachment 395579

Why have I never heard of this before, this is the BEST IDEA EVER!
Now I have to try it out

You're on the same squad a Scrivener. Ha! Not sure if you've been on NES long enough to know who he is, but he's not on here anymore. I've shot with him at a few of the Walls events. He's a much nicer guy in person than he was to people asking dumb-ass questions and posting wrong info on this forum. ;)
Well I’m looking forward to meeting more NES’rs this weekend. See you there.

You're on the same squad a Scrivener. Ha! Not sure if you've been on NES long enough to know who he is, but he's not on here anymore. I've shot with him at a few of the Walls events. He's a much nicer guy in person than he was to people asking dumb-ass questions and posting wrong info on this forum. ;)
Was he close to Jose?

Loader another ladder test for the 308. 5 rounds each from 42-44 Varget in half grain increments. I want to see if I can duplicate last outing. Also cracked open some cfe pistol to try with some acme 125g LRN. First time using this powder but man it flows nice through the Dillon, charges were almost perfect. Loaded 50 rounds to test.
I ordered a neck turning mandrel and die supposed to have been ere today. Gonna see if it gives me a little more consistent neck tension.

Loader another ladder test for the 308. 5 rounds each from 42-44 Varget in half grain increments. I want to see if I can duplicate last outing. Also cracked open some cfe pistol to try with some acme 125g LRN. First time using this powder but man it flows nice through the Dillon, charges were almost perfect. Loaded 50 rounds to test.
I ordered a neck turning mandrel and die supposed to have been ere today. Gonna see if it gives me a little more consistent neck tension.
how where your last results, range report, pics......im bored as usual

how where your last results, range report, pics......im bored as usual
6B39E990-C8DD-4C89-80B3-EAA8740926D0.jpeg This is all I got for pics. I tried doing the OCW test for this load. It’s my first go around for loading rifle so a lot to learn. I ran these loads round robin one round per charge weight per string. The three center shots were sighting rounds each different charge weight from 41-42gr.
This batch I’m going to shoot 5 shot per load to try get a little better idea of groups. I’m not the best shooter so I’m wondering about the “flyers” for fIrst three charge weight.
I am having fun though and hopefully I can get out tomorrow to test. I also mounted a Harris bipod so maybe I can get em a little tighter too.

CFE Pistol measures out extremely well

View attachment 395772This is all I got for pics. I tried doing the OCW test for this load. It’s my first go around for loading rifle so a lot to learn. I ran these loads round robin one round per charge weight per string. The three center shots were sighting rounds each different charge weight from 41-42gr.
This batch I’m going to shoot 5 shot per load to try get a little better idea of groups. I’m not the best shooter so I’m wondering about the “flyers” for fIrst three charge weight.
I am having fun though and hopefully I can get out tomorrow to test. I also mounted a Harris bipod so maybe I can get em a little tighter too.
just remember your first step on the OCW system is to find a node where your groups dont shift off point of aim as much as others do. See how your groups shift. Notice your groups including your sighters 41 -43.3 all impacted in that lower right 1" box. some where between there will be your most accurate load also.

notice at 44g plus your groups opened up and shifted impact.
so now you know even if you load a few cartridges between 41-43.3 your hit on target is going to be really close even between the different charges. your close to 1/2 moa with those tests (if shot at 100 yards) not a bad start.

Now you fine tune from there. Trying to find the node with in the node that delivers the smaller group. then you can play with seating depth if you like.

just remember your first step on the OCW system is to find a node where your groups dont shift off point of aim as much as others do. See how your groups shift. Notice your groups including your sighters 41 -43.3 all impacted in that lower right 1" box. some where between there will be your most accurate load also.

notice at 44g plus your groups opened up and shifted impact.
so now you know even if you load a few cartridges between 41-43.3 your hit on target is going to be really close even between the different charges. your close to 1/2 moa with those tests (if shot at 100 yards) not a bad start.

Now you fine tune from there. Trying to find the node with in the node that delivers the smaller group. then you can play with seating depth if you like.

I agree Mac that’s where I’m going to start looking. I’m hoping this time out I can replicate those finding and maybe see if I better pinpoint that node. With 5 shot groups I’m hoping I can pinpoint a charge weight a little better. 43.3 looked the best with two in the same hole but even up to 44.2 I had two nice shots than one “flyer” for lack of a better term. I’m hoping with the larger sample group I’ll be able to determine if that “flyer” was Me or the gun haha.
Wanted to get out today but not gonna happen keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I agree Mac that’s where I’m going to start looking. I’m hoping this time out I can replicate those finding and maybe see if I better pinpoint that node. With 5 shot groups I’m hoping I can pinpoint a charge weight a little better. 43.3 looked the best with two in the same hole but even up to 44.2 I had two nice shots than one “flyer” for lack of a better term. I’m hoping with the larger sample group I’ll be able to determine if that “flyer” was Me or the gun haha.
Wanted to get out today but not gonna happen keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Just pointing out that the 44 grain load completely shifts your point of aim vs point of impact.
Thats the point of the OCW is to find that node where you get nice groups with out a large shift in point of impact with your powder charge range.

now you might find a range from that 43.3 - 444.2 charge that tightens up and keeps the point of impact around the same.
Right now you have a node from 41-43.3 grains that will deliver 1 moa or better to the same spot thats a huge node. Knowing that you copuld have a 1 grain swing and still hit a moa X is nice.
My thoughts are unless your and your gun got a little "loose" towards the end of your strings I think you found a good node to work with 41- 43 grains. I would break up that range into small test groups ?
qOHuhsNl.jpg

Below is what your shot group would look like if you randomly loaded your 41-43 grain loads. Sub moa .....zero your scope and your hitting X all day long with that random load. Off to a good start there
1601749103789.png

Just pointing out that the 44 grain load completely shifts your point of aim vs point of impact.
Thats the point of the OCW is to find that node where you get nice groups with out a large shift in point of impact with your powder charge range.

now you might find a range from that 43.3 - 444.2 charge that tightens up and keeps the point of impact around the same.
Right now you have a node from 41-43.3 grains that will deliver 1 moa or better to the same spot thats a huge node. Knowing that you copuld have a 1 grain swing and still hit a moa X is nice.
My thoughts are unless your and your gun got a little "loose" towards the end of your strings I think you found a good node to work with 41- 43 grains. I would break up that range into small test groups ?
qOHuhsNl.jpg

Below is what your shot group would look like if you randomly loaded your 41-43 grain loads. Sub moa .....zero your scope and your hitting X all day long with that random load. Off to a good start there
View attachment 395968

WOW thaks Mac that is quite the analysis. I will head your recommendation and hone in on the 41-43 charge weight. I saw your screenshots and instantly went and looked at that program and looks pretty cool but doesnt look like they support Mac so I got kinda bummed.

I did however find this app alot of guys are using over on SnipersHide called ballistic x for your phone. It was 7 bucks and alows you to upload pics and anyalyze as well but only let you do one group at a time. I started messing with it a little and looks like would be nice while on the range. Also seems super easy to screenshot and brag to your friends with HAHA

WOW thaks Mac that is quite the analysis. I will head your recommendation and hone in on the 41-43 charge weight. I saw your screenshots and instantly went and looked at that program and looks pretty cool but doesnt look like they support Mac so I got kinda bummed.

I did however find this app alot of guys are using over on SnipersHide called ballistic x for your phone. It was 7 bucks and alows you to upload pics and anyalyze as well but only let you do one group at a time. I started messing with it a little and looks like would be nice while on the range. Also seems super easy to screenshot and brag to your friends with HAHA
Theres tons of stuff out there now. i had a phone app but was to cheap to pay and got adds every 10 seconds.
It took me a while to warm up to OCW also took a while before i had a rifle and ammo and skills to put it all together.
Dont just chase the small groups.
For example i had a 223 load with 80 grain bullets.
i was getting nice 1/2" groups but with a flyer here and there. After several 1 \2" groups a pattern started to show. A old timer at the range pointed it out and said. " Darn near all those flyers are dead nuts same spot high and left. " we talked about my load and such.
He says " hmm i bet you have random powder charges that are out side that accuracy point, your running darn near max loads.
Pull 10 rounds and weigh them. I bet you will find a few that are off .3 grains or so. "
i was just using a powder drop to charge my brass and sure as sheet , there where a few off charges both lower and higher.
Im actually going to put that particular AR back together and find a load with a different powder for the 80 grain bullets.

I picked up a 1050 that I'm setting up to load ammo that I'm going to sell (I'm an 07 FFL). I'm just waiting on components now (brass and bullets - I have primers and powder).
No shit!? Well that’s cool. Hopefully you’re not tapping into your personal stash of primers and powder. Though powder isn’t too difficult to replace.

No shit!? Well that’s cool. Hopefully you’re not tapping into your personal stash of primers and powder. Though powder isn’t too difficult to replace.
Nope. I secured enough primers for th first batch, and have enough powder to load 40,000 rounds of what I'm making.

Good deal, so whats the first batch?
Not 9mm.

32 S&W Short downloaded to black powder pressure levels. This ammo isn't available commercially, and it's in demand. Everybody wants to shoot the old top break that belonged to their great grandfather.

Back
Top Bottom