What did you do in the reloading room recently?

This thing lived long enough to prime 1k rounds. Does anyone know of a similar priming instrument that isn't 90% plastic?

Quick search on Midway lists several, but they're not short money.
I just tossed the old style one with the round tray, and the dumpsters been emptied. Went through a few of those handles when I was using it.

I refuse to torture myself using a hand priming mechanism when every press I've ever used has an easier solution.

I don't even understand why they are still sold. They create unbottomed primers which result in misfires and they tax your hands to no end.

I hand prime while watching tv/movies/etc. It also helps because I load a lot of mixed pickup brass and some of it will have worn pockets. Its super easy to feel a loose pocket when hand priming and then discard that pc of brass. You'll have a hard time feeling that on a progressive rifle press.

I hand prime while watching tv/movies/etc. It also helps because I load a lot of mixed pickup brass and some of it will have worn pockets. Its super easy to feel a loose pocket when hand priming and then discard that pc of brass. You'll have a hard time feeling that on a progressive rifle press.

Adding a note. I only hand prime rifle brass (.223 and .308). I prime 9mm on my Dillon SDB.

I used to use the hand priming tool (Lee w/circular tray and flat shell holders), but I got tired of the cam and handle breaking. The punch seems to have compacted and I'd have to shim the thing to get the primer to seat flush or below. Eventually ditched this and now use the Lee Ram-Prime. It's slower, but you can develop a feel for seating the primers.
Reloading is more therapy to me versus a speed/quantity test.

Bought 867 of these Fiocchi lead-free SPPs locally the other day. The fellow NESer said his dad used to shoot rubber bullets in the house using these primers. Smart idea to limit the lead exposure in the house.

Funny how Fiocchi used to put 250 into a sleeve/tray. Now they have 150.

I’d imagine these will function like any other SPP? Kinda tempting to load some rubber bullets with them...🤔
763F1186-3F1C-451D-9F98-A655704B7F4B.jpeg D629D3EF-C110-49D5-9263-325A432BEB58.jpeg

My sister calls me earlier and said she and her bf are headed up to my dad's camp in Maine for the next couple days and plans to do some shooting. Then asks me if I could sell her some of my 9mm reloads[shocked]

I typically don't do this but made an exception since she's my sister and I've got a good track record with my reloads thus far[laugh]. But still, it's not ideal.

So I ask how much and she says idk 300 rounds? Told her I would sell them to her at my cost and will take off a few pennies per round if she gives me back all of the brass[laugh]. We'll see what she comes back with...

The things you do for family....

I refuse to torture myself using a hand priming mechanism when every press I've ever used has an easier solution.

I don't even understand why they are still sold. They create unbottomed primers which result in misfires and they tax your hands to no end.

This is what I was going to say. I put the primer setup in my press and pull the handle. It has never broke or failed me. For the most part I do all phases of reloading at one time. I do have some 5.56 cases I prepped for competition, but I go through a lot more steps for those.

A lot of people I know do this also.

I can feel a lose pocket using a press every time. I don't use a progressive press for rifle rounds though. Mostly because I load for accuracy, even on rounds I don't shoot in competition.

I just started reloading during covid shutdown. I am running a single stage press, but plan to move along to turret press when growing pains are over

This is what I was going to say. I put the primer setup in my press and pull the handle. It has never broke or failed me. For the most part I do all phases of reloading at one time. I do have some 5.56 cases I prepped for competition, but I go through a lot more steps for those.

A lot of people I know do this also.

I can feel a lose pocket using a press every time. I don't use a progressive press for rifle rounds though. Mostly because I load for accuracy, even on rounds I don't shoot in competition.
I will look into the gravity fed attachment

Loaded half of the Xtreme 165 grainers over Sport Pistol. Probably finish the other 500 over the weekend. Really digging the nickel plated brass I got. Super easy to resize and have only run into 2 Winchester cases with crimped primer pockets. Cost me a nickel a piece for them, but worth it so far.
E2BE23DD-FA81-49B7-8561-77A6F00AB601.jpeg

Last edited:
Loaded half of the Xtreme 165 grainers over Sport Pistol. Probably finish the other 500 over the weekend. Really digging the nickel plated brass I got. Super easy to resize and have only run into 2 Winchester cases with crimped primer pockets. Cost me a nickel a piece for but worth it so far.
View attachment 395414
Those 165 xtreme are sweet. I shot 100 tonight.

Nice! Ya they’re pretty soft shooting. Not a HUGE difference compared to my 147 gr loads but definitely noticeable.

I'd like to try a few mags of those and compare them to my usual 115gr loads. I'm guessing those would have more of a "thumpy" recoil than lighter bullets. Less snappy anyhow?

I'd like to try a few mags of those and compare them to my usual 115gr loads. I'm guessing those would have more of a "thumpy" recoil than lighter bullets. Less snappy anyhow?
Compared to 115’s these would be noticeably less snappy and much quieter. Definitely more of a push/thump during recoil.

They are a pleasure to shoot. But I am not sure how people make them fit in mags without slight compression. I never tried them in a semi auto.

Let me know if you will be near Boston and I will give you a few to try.

If Marshfield has a USPSA match in November, I will try to be there. We can probably meet there.

They are a pleasure to shoot. But I am not sure how people make them fit in mags without slight compression. I never tried them in a semi auto.
I'm loading them long. Like ~1.155" Thank god the bullet profile works in the short throats of my CZ pistols. No way in hell I'd seat them to 1.1" like my 147 gr loads.

Let me know if you will be near Boston and I will give you a few to try.

If Marshfield has a USPSA match in November, I will try to be there. We can probably meet there.

What are you shooting them through? (if not a semi auto)
I'm not sure if I'll make it to Marshfield anytime soon but I might go to Old Colony IDPA November 21st.

Post man be beddy beddy good to me today.

3 100rd boxes of .22 cal blanks ( Ramset type charges ).......the other box was still in an envelope from another vendor.

Pellets are Crossman .22 cal pellet gun pellets. The twist top tin they come in can be used to carry blanks and pellets in a bugout bag or backpack, and they could be used in any .22 cal rifle or pistol. You stick a pellet in the chamber then stick a blank in behind it. My testing shows they are extremely high velocity and accurate out to 50-60 feet. Good enough to get a small game meal in a pinch. I've fired them in bolt action .22 rifles, Ruger MK II pistol and .22 shotgun adapter and .22 flaregun adapter.

10 Korean 20rd AK mags, ( very nice in M92 SBRs and Yugo underfolders).
26 Korean military 30rd Steel AR mags with anti tilt followers.
5 AR Stoner muzzle brakes for use on 10.5 and 11.5 AR pistols. It directs the sound and gasses forward.....they work!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
I imagine there are a lot that you haven’t met.. I’ll be there on 304 come over and say Hi..

You're on the same squad a Scrivener. Ha! Not sure if you've been on NES long enough to know who he is, but he's not on here anymore. I've shot with him at a few of the Walls events. He's a much nicer guy in person than he was to people asking dumb-ass questions and posting wrong info on this forum. ;)

Back
Top Bottom