• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Not 9mm.

32 S&W Short downloaded to black powder pressure levels. This ammo isn't available commercially, and it's in demand. Everybody wants to shoot the old top break that belonged to their great grandfather.

Never would have guessed. Had to look that one up, first thing that popped into my mind was the old police revolvers or a Derringer.
What other oddball rounds are in demand that aren't made commercially? I can only imagine what people are dusting off these days.

Not 9mm.

32 S&W Short downloaded to black powder pressure levels. This ammo isn't available commercially, and it's in demand. Everybody wants to shoot the old top break that belonged to their great grandfather.
Nice, love my little lemon squeezer. Sees more wax bullets than anything.
What are you using for powder?

Received the Inline Fabrication mount for my Rock Chucker Supreme on Saturday so I went ahead and installed on on my bench. Then today I received my liquid lanoline to make some home made case lube as per Gavin Toobe's instruction here.

View: https://youtu.be/VgsimvLoddo

So then I decided to resize and decap over 300 223 Remington cases. My daughter helped. Hell, she shot most of it.

There's enough room on the bench for a progressive press once I get into the swing of things. BTW, I build this bench 10 years ago, the original NES thread is here. 10 years in my basement serving as a storage for junk. Well, not anymore. It's actually being used now for it's original purpose. Better late than never I guess.
reloading.jpg

Things I learned/discovered today.
  • The original primer catch system is not as bad as some people say it is. I only had a couple land on the floor.
  • The Hornady lock-n-load bushings suck. When resizing brass, the die part of the bushing would lift up about 1/16" when the press cammed over. Also, the bushing that attaches to the press has lost part of one of it's lugs. Looks like it's made from cast aluminum. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to using these. I switched back to not using the Hornady bushings.
  • Looking forward to this weekend's reloading class!

Received the Inline Fabrication mount for my Rock Chucker Supreme on Saturday so I went ahead and installed on on my bench. Then today I received my liquid lanoline to make some home made case lube as per Gavin Toobe's instruction here.

View: https://youtu.be/VgsimvLoddo

So then I decided to resize and decap over 300 223 Remington cases. My daughter helped. Hell, she shot most of it.

There's enough room on the bench for a progressive press once I get into the swing of things. BTW, I build this bench 10 years ago, the original NES thread is here. 10 years in my basement serving as a storage for junk. Well, not anymore. It's actually being used now for it's original purpose. Better late than never I guess.
View attachment 396557

Things I learned/discovered today.
  • The original primer catch system is not as bad as some people say it is. I only had a couple land on the floor.
  • The Hornady lock-n-load bushings suck. When resizing brass, the die part of the bushing would lift up about 1/16" when the press cammed over. Also, the bushing that attaches to the press has lost part of one of it's lugs. Looks like it's made from cast aluminum. I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to using these. I switched back to not using the Hornady bushings.
  • Looking forward to this weekend's reloading class!

There is some wiggle to those quick change bushings. How does it effect the outcome of the reloads.
So much stuff is made from cast,injected "metal" these days. I vaguely remember Hornady having some problems with the inserts ?

Last edited:
Mac, I haven't gotten around to reloading any ammo yet but I doubt the play is any good. I looked on line at a couple of video where they install this system on their RCBS press and sure enough, I see the gap as the press handle is pulled down and then back up.

Last edited:
Mac, I haven't gotten around to reloading any ammo yet but I doubt the play is any good. I looked on line at a couple of video where they install this system on their RCBS press and sure enough, I see the gap as the press handle is pulled down and then back up.
i think what your seeing is the compression of the Oring.
?
Been loading on mine for years , unless the bushing in the press itself if fubar?
Try setting up your dies again and watch to see where the ram reaches the highest travel. Its not always handle full down. Hornady classic 007 press the ram reaches the highest point before the handle bottoms out.
If you set up a FL die per basic instructions of handle down , adjust until die makes contact and 1/4 turn you will have some serious cam over squishing brass and excessive pressure on the bushing.

Last edited:
Now on .45 acp. Loaded a couple hundred rds. The brass has been fired four times. I’m finding the Federal cases to have loose primer pockets and likely will get tossed soon. The S&B and CBC brass still seat primers tightly. Winchester and Remington brass are almost as good.

Loaded 400 rounds of .45 ACP, and changed the 650 again to do brass prep (sizing and trimming) on 5.56... Have to break down the case feeder to change the plate. Pretty close up top. Note the 3/4" plywood blast shield and acrylic mirror...;)
I mounted the 650 between the two benches to get it as low as I could and still sit to reload...

IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2621.JPG IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2623.JPG

Like the burn rate chart.
I might pick up some VV powder to load 6.5 swede its about all thats left locally, well 2 weeks ago anyway.
Im not paying shipping/hazmat for 1 8lb jug.
Yeah I thought the burn rate on the side was cool.
I paid $12 hazmat and tax (free shipping) for this one 4 pound jug.

Turned in 90Lbs of junk rifle/pistol brass to the junkyard.

This place will re-sell lead if your ever looking. Most probably will. I think the door guy said 90 cents for wheel weights and 70 cents for roof flashing. Pick your own.
Roof flashing is the better deal, for that price though you can find cleaner options for about the same money.
Just keep looking and asking.
You can always get a group buy going amd buy known alloy by the 1000lb pallet.
I should have jumped on some of the deals early spring.

All of them are sold from a popular online distributor. There are 22 of the 28 in stock on their website right now.
a decent shipment must have come in from VV,norma, shooters world and swiss powders. i have not seen such a selection of VV or Norma even in "normal " times.
At this point the price difference in moot if you need powder.

a decent shipment must have come in from VV,norma, shooters world and swiss powders. i have not seen such a selection of VV or Norma even in "normal " times.
At this point the price difference in moot if you need powder.

I was pretty surprised to see that most of them were actually in stock on the site I was looking at.

Back
Top Bottom