What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Loaded some more 9mm, shooting Steel Competition tomorrow.

Nothing special, nothing fancy. Just basic 124grn Berrys over 4.0 grains of TiteGroup.
I've had two failures out of the last 5,000 or so rounds I've loaded/shot of these.
I had one misfire, and I had one that locked up my gun after firing.
Had to hold the slide and slam my hand against the grip to get the slide open. I must not have gauged that one.

I'm at the point now where I'd rather run the stuff I'm loading than anything I can buy from the factory.

IMG_1599.JPG

Well, it's simply too laborious to fill the .22LRs with molten lead, so I'm just going to use soap instead. A 16 grain projectile instead of 62 grains (sans sabot).
Now to go outside and pop them off (only 40 yards available, but that should be okay for test purposes).

Well, 8 out of 10 hit the paper. I suspect unbalanced sabot separation caused the misses and flyers (couldn't have been me). Shot at 40 yards with sandbag rests. 47.5gr MP 475. These sabots weigh in at 6 grains. Firearm: FR-7, target is a B-29.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Left the tumbler running overnight; that would be the brass on the left;
Other pile on the right is my normal tumbled, lubed brass ready for loading.

View attachment 398049

Thats the best part about those shakers. Fire it off and walk away. Got 2 of em out in the garage.
1 for dirty. Pop the primers out and run it through the clean one w/ brass polish in it.
No water getting everywhere, no having to dry them out within a certain time, no worrying about green brass, can let em sit there for 4 months.

Went to the range to shoot 100 reloads, mainly for testing purposes. 9mm RMR 124 grain FMJRN over 6.5 grains HS6, mixed brass. 50 with Federal 100 SPP and 50 with Fiocchi Magnum (just the "model" name) SRP.

Put 15 each through the chrono to find the difference to be negligible between SPP and SRP, then shot the remainder at steel and paper with good results.

My friend shot through the chrono for the first time. Before shooting he said he felt nervous doing it, afraid he'd hit something. I told him not to worry, just don't shoot the chrono itself, then I proceeded to hit one of the metal rods that holds the plastic shield over it! 🤣

My wife does not share your love of the tumbler ;-)

No matter what I do the noise rumbles though the whole house....
Turn the T V up or run the clothes dryer at same time.
Since brass prep really sucks I dont tumble to long. maybe a hour unless im doing something else.

My wife does not share your love of the tumbler ;-)

No matter what I do the noise rumbles though the whole house....

Did you try the yoga mats and seat cushion I mentioned in an earlier thread? It really knocks down the noise. It also helps that the tumblers are on the basement concrete floor. I also find that the more brass in the tumbler, the quieter it is and appears to be more efficient in cleaning.

Did you try the yoga mats and seat cushion I mentioned in an earlier thread? It really knocks down the noise. It also helps that the tumblers are on the basement concrete floor. I also find that the more brass in the tumbler, the quieter it is and appears to be more efficient in cleaning.
You can also try a new wife.

Joking aside ... I run the tumbler when mine is at work.

Received 1000 180gr Flat point 40sw Powerbond bullets in the mail today.

I don't shoot much forty but I figured I'd load up some ammo to have on hand. Total cost is about 15 cents per round.

Brass = Free once fired range pick ups
Primers= 2.3 cents each, $23.00/1000
Bullets= 11.3 cents each, $113.00/1000
Powder= 1.5 cents roughly. $23.00/lb 7000gr/lb 4.2gr/round. +-

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Yoga mats, better but still eventually gets a comment....i will keep at it.

Rubber trash can (Rubbermaid Brute) over the tumbler in the garage....mostly for the wet tumbler when I use it (not very often)

Last edited:
I tumbled some brass an will load up some 308 and 06 for a match in Nov , then Im done with centerfire for a while.
Going to shoot 200 yard 22lr off hand league and 22lr almost 100% . Will shoot some pistol here and there.
Might dust off the Mec 650 and do some trap/clays

Back
Top Bottom