• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What can you tell me about USPSA Rifle matches and Shotgun matches?

Ink

I have read the rulebook, and will do so a few more times, but the voices of experience usually have more to offer. I searched around a little, but everything seems to be geared towards 3 gun.

I plan on shooting a mossberg 500 pump for shotty and my ar-15 for rifle.

Are the stages run like pistol matches or is it setup a little different?
What about ammo? Are the shotgun stages all slugs or buckshot? Shots per target?

Thanks for any help. And if i missed an obvious thread, forgive me, i was cooking dinner.

Shotgun is mostly steel or static clays shot with birdshot. Once in a while there is a slug stage with 1 or 2 shot per paper. Stages are similar to pistol matches

Rifle matches are also like pistol matches, if there are steel targets you can not use steel core ammo

You will need some way to hold all you shells to load. There is good info in the 3gun thread

here are some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920Hw9DBC6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhJ1x9FfuA

Slugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Fwg-41KI0

Last edited:
Q: What can you tell me about USPSA Rifle matches and Shotgun matches?
A: They are lots of fun!

Q: Are the stages run like pistol matches or is it setup a little different?
A: Depends on the club and facilities. Typically USPSA shotgun and/or rifle matches are generally similar to pistol matches in organization, but you can expect some long shots for rifle for clubs that have the facilities for it (out to 300+ yards). Occasionally you see a club work a round of trap into a shotgun match, which can be interesting.

Q: What about ammo? Are the shotgun stages all slugs or buckshot? Shots per target?
A: For shotgun, most shooters seem to run 7.5, 8 or 8.5 for shotsize. Buckshot does nothing for you. Clubs seem to usually include a stage for all slugs (on regular cardboard targets) with 1 or 2 rounds per target. Besides slugs, the other stages are usually a combination of steel (poppers, us poppers, round/square plates) or frangible targets (trap clays for example). Clubs can be creative with clay targets on swingers, etc.

For us at New Bedford, our shotgun and rifle matches will be on the same action pits that we run our pistol matches on, so the longest rifle shot you'll take is only 35 yards - but don't assume that makes it easy. There are different ways to still make for a very challenging match!

Cool vids! Thanks Moto! That answered a lot of questions for me. 300+ yards for USPSA... you people need meds.
I am really lookin forward to both the rifle and shotgun matches in NB, and this (especially the vids) basically answers about all the questions i had. i just needed to see it and all my searches resulted in 3 gun matches.

aaaaaaand i am gonna have to do a lot of practicing reloading a pump shotty. [sad2][smile]

i'll check out the 3 gun threads now.

There's nothing prohibited with that, but, why do you want to use it? You're better off keeping your equipment in the same location.

hmm.... i think i'm gonna hold off on buying anything till i shoot one rifle match. Then i'll know what i need Vs what i think i'll need.

Thanks for the input tho!

Realistically, you'll only need one spare mag, two at most. You can just throw them in your pocket if you are only going to shoot 1-2 rifle matches a year.
I have some holster material and made up a couple AR single mag belt pouches.

Back
Top Bottom