What can you get with a machine gun license?

Pre 86 samples only. Unless you're an FFL, then you can get post ban samples.

A pre-86 sample is a different beast than a pre-86 transferrable, the later being what the OP is probably referring to. A pre-86 sample may be obtained only by a SOT FFL - the difference between it, and a post-86 sample, is the post-86 samples require a LE demo request and cannot be kept when the FFL holder goes out of business.

There is much more than "having an FFL" to get a post 86 sample - you need to be an FFL w/SOT (Special Occupational Tax, $500/year), and get a "demo request" from a LE agency requesting a demonstration of that model gun. Even green departments tend to circular file requests for such letters unless the FFL is VERY well connected. (hint: LE agencies don't buy their full autos from small FFLs).

The only way to get relatively free reign with new full autos (without LE status) is to be a licensed FFL/SOT manufacturer.

Last edited:
So I have no intentions of getting one (anytime soon at least lol) but can you only get older machine guns or can you also get new models too?

Any MG that existed and was registered befor 1986...So if you consider 1986 to be "older" MG's, then yes you can only get "older" MG's...

I will just add that if you are interested in MG's now is a great time to get into them, for the first time since the "internet era" began prices haave more or less leveled off for a bit...Don't get me wrong MG's still very expensive, just that the prices haven't been going up as fast as they have during the past 10-15 years...

Pre 86 samples only. Unless you're an FFL, then you can get post ban samples.
Great another guy who doesn't understand how NFA works, giving NFA answers...no suprise why there is so much mis-information out there (whatluck, don't take it perssonal, I am sure you are just relaying the same misguided info, someone else told you)

Last edited:
Any MG that existed and was registered befor 1986...So if you consider 1986 to be "older" MG's, then yes you can only get "older" MG's...

I will just add that if you are interested in MG's now is a great time to get into them, for the first time since the "internet era" began prices haave more or less leveled off for a bit...Don't get me wrong MG's still very expensive, just that the prices haven't been going up as fast as they have during the past 10-15 years...

So tempting!!!!

This is all very interesting. One day I'll have to find someone with a MG that may let me try it and see how it goes. Having a MG or two would be cool to have in the collection someday possibly.

This is all very interesting. One day I'll have to find someone with a MG that may let me try it and see how it goes. Having a MG or two would be cool to have in the collection someday possibly.

Good luck finding someone with A MG...they multiply like rabbits...
s2qpef.jpg

...and get a "demo request" from a LE agency requesting a demonstration of that model gun. Even green departments tend to circular file requests for such letters unless the FFL is VERY well connected. (hint: LE agencies don't buy their full autos from small FFLs)...

I disagree in part with portions of that statement...#1 where PD's end up buying thier MG's from, really has little to do with Demo letters, demo letter are not contracts to buy, simply official "hey we'd like to give one of those a try's" from a PD... Sure NFA branch is a bit stricter in what they want written in the letters now (and the # of a single model they will approve for that 1 dealer), but you really don't need to be VERY WELL connected to get a demo letter, you need to "play nice" with a PD or two (real easy in MA since you will need a green card anyway), and offer them "toys" they can play with for no charge...

Last edited:
arrghhh, so tempted to try and get MG license. I have freed up some money to a least get the MG permit and possible NFA trust going.
Reminds me of a unaswered question......do you need MG license(MA resident) to start the NFAtrust also do you need to own or have paper federal forms in progress to begin the trust. ?

do you need MG license(MA resident) to start the NFAtrust also do you need to own or have paper federal forms in progress to begin the trust. ?

No, and no. The MG card is only for MGs, you can own other NFA items without it, and you have to have the trust set up prior to filing the NFA paperwork.

...Reminds me of a unaswered question......do you need MG license(MA resident) to start the NFAtrust also do you need to own or have paper federal forms in progress to begin the trust. ?
No, and no. The MG card is only for MGs, you can own other NFA items without it, and you have to have the trust set up prior to filing the NFA paperwork.
Just to clarify for NFA newbees...YOU DO NOT need an NFA trust to own MG's (or NFA in general) while there may be some other benefits to trusts of corporate NFA ownership, it is typically used as a tool to lawfully aquire NFA in jurisidictions in which none of the CLEO's will sign off.

Where can I learn more about the trusts that are set up?
Make sure you understand the above, you may still choose to use a trust or corp to aquire NFA, but most chiefs who will issue you a green card will more often than not also sign off on FORM4's...so I wouldn't get to worried about trusts this early in your NFA journey...

Just to clarify for NFA newbees...YOU DO NOT need an NFA trust to own MG's (or NFA in general) while there may be some other benefits to trusts of corporate NFA ownership, it is typically used as a tool to lawfully aquire NFA in jurisidictions in which none of the CLEO's will sign off.

Make sure you understand the above, you may still choose to use a trust or corp to aquire NFA, but most chiefs who will issue you a green card will more often than not also sign off on FORM4's...so I wouldn't get to worried about trusts this early in your NFA journey...

Yeah I am just trying to learn bits here and there and see how it all fits together. I'll have to pick your brain one of these days securityboy ;-)

" What can you get with a machine gun license?"

Have the most fun you can have with your clothes on...

:)

I'm not an owner yet, as I'm in the middle of college educations for three kids. But a few kind friends have shared and damn it is such a great experience!

There are a good number of ranges in Massachusetts that require anyone shooting full auto to possess a machine gun license. It wasn't always like this but in the wake of the Uzi incident a lot of clubs have adopted this rule and some say its a law.

Unless I become very fortunate or hit the lottery, I'll probably never have the cash to buy full auto weapons. I have been thinking of going for my license though just to be able to indulge in some fun when the opportunity presents itself at the range I belong to.

Is this "MG license" some kind of MA thing?

In free America, the only thing required is to pay the ATF tax.

I'm not ragging on you good folks in MA (although I do feel sorry for you), I'm sincerely asking if you have to have a separate "MG License" for NFA goodies.

Dunno where you are located, but I suspect that there will be some MGs at the next Monadnock shoot in NH. I and others have no problem with members trying out our guns if you bring ammo. Jack.

Is this "MG license" some kind of MA thing?

In free America, the only thing required is to pay the ATF tax.

I'm not ragging on you good folks in MA (although I do feel sorry for you), I'm sincerely asking if you have to have a separate "MG License" for NFA goodies.

Yes, in MA you must have a state issued mg license before you can own one. And if you think LTCs are "may issue" wait until you try to get a mg license. [laugh]

" What can you get with a machine gun license?"

Have the most fun you can have with your clothes on...

:)

I'm not an owner yet, as I'm in the middle of college educations for three kids. But a few kind friends have shared and damn it is such a great experience!

Don't forget broke. Although the NFA market has seen a slight dip, an average entry MG/SMG (M11/9) will still comand approx $3000. Then you buy all the extrtas.........

I agree with the above... But I think a better way to look at it might be, any transferable mg as well as NFA goodies (sbr/ sbs/ DD/ Aow). As long as your cleo will sign off.

I have heard of Cleos that will not sign off on any NFA form w/o first "proving" collector status, and having a green card. Ymmv.

Where can I learn more about the trusts that are set up?

I am just stating down the NFA road in Massachusetts and was instructed by a knowledgeable dealer and other reputable members here on NES to not even bother with the NFA trust until first seeing if you can get a license through your town.

I have made my first inquiries at my local PD and will get all of my answers ( yes/no and any additional town "requirements" ) before spending the money to set up a trust ( if I decide to go the "trust" route )

I fully expect, that IF I get the license this will be a 2 year process..... Between license, and complying with any "requirements", saving for the particular MG I want ( yes, I'm defiantly way out of my league trying to play with the NFA guys)
And form 4 paper work time......

Fingers crossed that my PD chief doesn't throw me out of his office when I ask!

Cleo sign off can be avoided, provided you already have your MG license with a C&R license and a C&R MG, right?

No, a C&R does not get you around the need for a CLEO sign off, even if you are buying a C&R MG. Process is exactly the same as any other "individual", prints, pics, sign off. Having a C&R and buying a C&R MG only cuts out the "middle man" when buying from out of state.

I agree with the above... But I think a better way to look at it might be, any transferable mg as well as NFA goodies (sbr/ sbs/ DD/ Aow). As long as your cleo will sign off.

I have heard of Cleos that will not sign off on any NFA form w/o first "proving" collector status, and having a green card. Ymmv.

Cleo sign off can be avoided, provided you already have your MG license with a C&R license and a C&R MG, right?

The only way to avoid having to get a CLEO to sign off on you NFA forms is to have a NFA Trust. I know securityboy isn't big on them, but they do work great and are legal in Mass. I have one and use it. I think it helped when my town was looking for a new COP and I was in the middle of buying two MG's and I didn't have to get the CLEO to sign off.

The only way to avoid having to get a CLEO to sign off on you NFA forms is to have a NFA Trust...
Minor "correction", trusts are not the ONLY way to "avoid" a CLEO sign off, you also don't need a CLEO sign off for corporate aquisitions. Keep in mmind YOU aren't really "avoiding" the signoff, it is simply that the NFA device is being aquired by a "legal entity" not an individual (person), so there simply is not someone to print/pic or be "signed off" on...

Minor "correction", trusts are not the ONLY way to "avoid" a CLEO sign off, you also don't need a CLEO sign off for corporate aquisitions. Keep in mmind YOU aren't really "avoiding" the signoff, it is simply that the NFA device is being aquired by a "legal entity" not an individual (person), so there simply is not someone to print/pic or be "signed off" on...

Forgot about that and LLC's. drgrant usually corects me on that.

Back
Top Bottom