What .22 ammo doesn't suck (beside Federal)?

So I'm relatively new to shooting (got my LTC-A last August and have been at school since then so I can't play with my gun here) and since school is almost out I'm going to be stocking up on .22 ammo for my mkIII soon. The only .22 ammo I've purchased before now is some CCI (the 100 packs that come in long plastic containers) and a Remington 500 pack. The Remington bulk pack was a complete waste of money because I got a FTF every 7th shot or so, and I hear their Yellow Jacket stuff is very very dirty. The CCI worked fine for me and I hear everyone likes the Federal 550 bulk packs even though I can't find them anywhere. What other brands/types of .22 ammo should I look for or avoid? I don't necessarily want to pay the high price for CCI all the time, but obviously you get what you pay for. Are there any other types of .22 that are known for high failure rates or being very dirty? Is there anything similar to the Federal 550s that is cheap and reliable?

Thanks

So I'm relatively new to shooting (got my LTC-A last August and have been at school since then so I can't play with my gun here) and since school is almost out I'm going to be stocking up on .22 ammo for my mkIII soon. The only .22 ammo I've purchased before now is some CCI (the 100 packs that come in long plastic containers) and a Remington 500 pack. The Remington bulk pack was a complete waste of money because I got a FTF every 7th shot or so, and I hear their Yellow Jacket stuff is very very dirty. The CCI worked fine for me and I hear everyone likes the Federal 550 bulk packs even though I can't find them anywhere. What other brands/types of .22 ammo should I look for or avoid? I don't necessarily want to pay the high price for CCI all the time, but obviously you get what you pay for. Are there any other types of .22 that are known for high failure rates or being very dirty? Is there anything similar to the Federal 550s that is cheap and reliable?

Thanks

i stick to CCI mini-mags or the lead-nose standard velocity. no problems with either

I found lots of 22LR Federal Champion bulk packs at Cabela's, definitely something to consider. As Wolf223 mentioned CCI is usually flawless, but as you mentioned you will pay more for it. Ordering by the case can get the price down some.

American Eagle 40gr round nose, best grouping ammo I have ever fired out of my MK III, and I tried everything I could find, RWS, CCI, Federal Gold Match.

Just got back from sighting in for outdoor bullseye, 10 rounds from the rest, 1 ragged hole.

For standard velocity I use Aguila 419ASVSE from the CMP ($230 + 19.95/SH)/case (5k)

+1 Excellent ammo, and the best quality available at anywhere near that price. I've run several thousand rounds through my GSP and it's been flawless. I didn't realize they had it back in stock - I expected that the price would bump up a bit when they were able to get more. Thankfully, I managed to lay in 4 cases at the old price.

The Federal stuff is very good, although I did have some misfires at the Appleseed in April. Winchester White Box seems OK. The Remington Thunderbird leads up barrels of everything but my 10/22, and it's dirty as well.

I must have a really good Ruger as I shoot any garbage ammo through it and have never had a single problem, and until last year it had never been cleaned since my Dad bought it god knows how long ago.

That said, CCI makes great ammo, though it isn't nearly as cheap as bulk stuff. I have been shooting my stock of Federal for a while now, and it shoots nice as well.
I have also used Armscor Precision and Winchester 333 packs with good results.

I have never had any issue with Remington Game Loads or their Thunderbolt either. So I am not sure if what works in my gun will work in yours, as mine will literally eat whatever it's fed. I thought all Ruger's were this way, as all three I have owned were fed a steady diet of garbage when I was really young and didn't know any better. Even my Dad tells me that he never had any issue with my Ruger when he was younger. I guess I just have a really good gun. At one point it didn't see any oil except a quick wipe on the outside, and that lasted quite a few years.

Armscor has worked well in all my stuff though. And it won't break the bank.
http://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-40-gr-ls-armscor-500-rounds

Honestly, I would send it to Ruger to have them take a look at it, as having problems with it seems strange to me.

I agree with many that CCI is excellent quality. Of similiar quality I would say Aguila is up there. With both brands I can't recall having more than perhaps one issue ever. With other brands I would get FTE's, duds, FTF's.....not always consistently but enough to question buying that ammo in the future.

the blazer bricks are good for the money. bout $20 and i find it far better than most bulk stuff found at walmart. plus the copper fed 550 packs went up to $18/brick.

the blazer bricks are good for the money. bout $20 and i find it far better than most bulk stuff found at walmart. plus the copper fed 550 packs went up to $18/brick.

I tried a 525 pack of blazer this week in my new M&P 15-22 and after ~250 rounds the barrel was so fouled the bullets were keyholing. After 48 hours of soaking in Hoppe's 9 solvent and scrubbing with a bronze brush I still can't get out all the lead. That was my first and last purchase of this dirty ammo.

Thanks

Like others said it really depends on what your guns likes. I have a Ruger 22/45 and it loves the Federal 550 bulk pack, but hates CCI. You just have to try different ammo until you find the one your gun likes.

Mike

For high velocity, I use only CCI Mini-mags and am very pleased with them.

At least I use only them until my fairly enormous stash runs out.

Back
Top Bottom