What’s your weak point?

jmjkd

Instructor
What’s your weak point? Building fire, shelter, mental conditioning, primitive tools, hunting, self defense, first aid? what would you say is your weakest attribute when it comes to survival?

What’s your weak point? Building fire, shelter, mental conditioning, primitive tools, hunting, self defense, first aid? what would you say is your weakest attribute when it comes to survival?

all except for first aid, and mental conditioning

I live in Cambridge. So my biggest unknown right now is how the hell I'm going to get out of here when the SHTF. I have too much to bring with me to walk out. So at the moment I'm hoping that the fact that I'm semi-prepared (already have a BOB and things semi-packed and ready to go)... that I'll beat the rush out of the city.

But if I can't beat the rush out of here... then I'm pretty much screwed as my apartment is not suitable for bugging in.

I am a pretty crafty guy, kind of tough, and strong willed. So of that list, I would say the mental conditioning to up and leave people I am close to and everything I have worked hard to attain.

i say first aid and hunting...more so the first aid part...been shooting some trap and skeet so hopefully (crosses fingers) i'll be able to shoot a few birds if it were necessary

For me its communications.
I know theres alot of "Hams" on Nes,something I'm gonna look into more.
I do have VHF & SSB.
I did pick up a radioshack portable scanner 20yrs ago I used it to pick up early analog cell phones.
Some other things I was considering shortwave radio,CB,Two-Way(FRS),Sat.phone,phone tree,two coffee cans atached with string,smoke signals etc.
How can I send & recieve info or contact individuals in the event of internet/phone service disruption.

Last edited:
I'm a novice in most every category, but I'm a quick learner. My BOB is stocked and ready to go. I'm reading through the ACEP First Aid Manual (great book!). And I just learned six knots: overhand, clove hitch, 2 half hitches, square, sheet bend, and bowline. Knots are fun!

I live in Cambridge. So my biggest unknown right now is how the hell I'm going to get out of here when the SHTF. I have too much to bring with me to walk out. So at the moment I'm hoping that the fact that I'm semi-prepared (already have a BOB and things semi-packed and ready to go)... that I'll beat the rush out of the city.

But if I can't beat the rush out of here... then I'm pretty much screwed as my apartment is not suitable for bugging in.

Dude, I know the feeling.

Booze. Hooch deprivation is a major problem. When I start to sober off, I get cranky and mean. Like, ready to kill some SOB.

(Come to think of it, that may be an advantage.)

If your big worry is E-vac then you better start training (not planning ) for the sit in, seriously :)

If booze, Hooch and short skirts R your biggest problem, just get in line and FEMA will help you out….K?

My weakness is spending too much time on here versus checking and rechecking what I have and what I need.

This summer I tried many different ways to start a fire. From rubbing sticks to a magnifying glass. If I don't have matches or a lighter, I'm screwed.

This summer I tried many different ways to start a fire. From rubbing sticks to a magnifying glass. If I don't have matches or a lighter, I'm screwed.

Magnesium firestarter. Available everywhere. It works.

magnesium_firestarter-base.jpg

SD & first aid.

But with all due respect, and I do have a great deal of respect for your NES contributions, thinking hunting is limiting. Trapping is a much better method of securing game, especially in a survival situation. It's 24x7 and allows you more time to do other things.

Dreamer: you can have everything you need? it's what ya know and how to use it...IMHO

The mag starters are a good back up but wear out to fast and break way to easy

Magnesium firestarter. Available everywhere. It works.

magnesium_firestarter-base.jpg

IME, a fire steel (Swedish or Light My Fire) sparked into a vaseline coated cottonball is less effort and more reliable than using the magnesium firestarter. Reference this thread for more info on my opinion.

Fire steel by Light My Fire:

FireSteel_Scout_b0_thumb.jpg

The blast match is probably better still:

BlastMatch_big.gif

Ok, now I am a little confused. I thought these two things did the same thing. I know the bottom picture will make sparks because that's what I have. I assumed the magnesium firestarter also creates sparks.... Does it?

They both make sparks. (IMO, the fire steel sparks better)

The magnesium can be shaved to make tinder. Then you strike a spark into the pile of shavings. The crux (again, IMO) is getting the shavings into a neat little pile under circumstances when you really need a fire.

When using fire steel you need to bring tinder (vaseline/cottonballs or something similar) with you or locate something on site.

Please take the time to read this thread which explains my concerns with the magnesium firestarter in more detail.

I'd recommend testing them side by side and find out what works the best for you.

Yes try to learn something new everyday.

The light my fire I use on my EDC is the military version. The one handed Blast match I have in my first layer but also check out the Strike force also by UST it holds wet tinder in a back pocket..... get familiar with natural tinder, always keep man made tinder in your kit but never use it unless it is an emergency situation

Back
Top Bottom