What’s with all the hype here for the Glock 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "hype" is twofold: they are not on the roster and it is routinely one of the top 3 selling handguns across the globe across all markets including civilian, law enforcement, military, and the black market. In MA, because they are not readily obtainable as a pistol sale, dealers price them based on what they think the value of being able to obtain an off-roster gun is worth. Also, the number of dealers who will help a customer obtain a Glock 19, though growing, is still very small in relationship to all the active FFLs in the state, which drives prices up further.

Why do people want them? In my opinion, there are better guns but no better platform to invest time and money in than Glock. The aftermarket support is unmatched. The skill level required to make impactful and noticeable upgrades is relatively low. The resale value is stable. As a functional firearm, it hits all the marks: it practically will shoot itself within the common self defense distances (up to 10 yards), but with a little practice you can hit steel at 25 yards with iron sights. With even a little more training, 40 yards+ is doable. The magazine availability is unrivaled for modern, polymer pistols.

For $620 (G5, MOS version), you can get the only pistol you'll ever need in terms of carry/defense/home defense. To me, that's a hell of a deal.

Not sure if it's worth the hype, but sure worth the money.

I probably have more Glocks here than avg but I won't play an apologist for some of the shit QC issues they had. The Gen4 rollout by and large was a disaster until about midway through the product line. That said I've probably owned over 25 Glocks, and maybe 4 of them had what I would call significant issues, and out of that 5, like 3 of them were used.
The Gen 4 19 was, by far, the most unreliable Glock I’ve owned.

The "hype" is twofold: they are not on the roster and it is routinely one of the top 3 selling handguns across the globe across all markets including civilian, law
The Glock 19 is just as popular in free states as it is in MA. The MA roster has nothing to do with the popularity of the Glock 19.

the G19 is the #1 selling gun that is best at absolutely nothing. g17/g34 are better range guns. g43x is a better CCW. (if we are sticking to glocks).

If we move outside glocks, the glock has the WORST trigger of any striker fired gun being made. It has a horrible grip angle that if you train with optics, you either use glock or you use EVERY OTHER gun made.

The Beretta APX, and that FN509-School-Bus-Thing (whatever number it is, the one that replaced the FNS) are arguably worse. A lot worse. And to compound matters there's no cheap way to fix either of them. The FN had the most disgusting trigger I ever used out of the box in temrs of how f***ing scratchy it was. Maybe its better now but I didn't even understand how they could get what they did for them. [rofl] The Beretta wasn't scratchy but it had this stupid sort of hard-wall/creep thing going on that I didn't like.

Also, most M&P stock triggers are worse than a Glock, if only thing because of that f***ing rubber band thing they got going on and lack of positive reset force. If smith put that shield pro max trigger in everything (they probably have by now, or more models at least) it would easily go from shit to decent on average.

ETA: I agree 110% on the canik. It is arguably by far best out of box, I almost bought an executive elite a few times.

People in MA seem to think they are unobtainable, hence the ridiculous prices. as for me I'm getting ready to dump mine, been having trigger burs develop, might be time to find a decent smith to look at it and fix it I just hate to dump more money into it.
You don’t need a smith for a Glock trigger can’t get much simpler. Watch a few YouTube videos drop a ghost or apex zev whatever you like in.

The Gen 4 19 was, by far, the most unreliable Glock I’ve owned.

I never had a Gen4 19, but I had a Gen4 17 when they rolled it out, that was a dumpster fire, but Glock fixed that gun and sent it back to me and it was perfect when I got it back. I did have a dumpster fire G21 Gen4 years ago, that was so bad with brass-to-face that Glock replaced the entire gun. I got a brand new gun from them and just sold it. Then years later I buy a G21 Gen4, and the gun is perfect, go figure.

I have a few friends that did have Gen4 19s that were dumpster fires too, so not shocked there.

If you want a polymer pistol, that is rock solid reliable, with excellent factory and aftermarket support it is hard to beat a Glock.

The G19 has a better grip size than the 26, and for a lot of people it is a better fit than its full sized cousin the G17.

we can discuss grip angles again love it or hate it, there seems to be no in between

a similarly sized gun, albeit slimmer is a 43X and when used with Apex magazines and a Apex mag release, then you are comparing apples to apples at 15+1

A G17 is a good SHTF gun, especially with a rail mounted light, Trijicon sights, and a Crimson trace grip mounted laser. Keep one in your night stand just in case.

The Glock 48 doesn't do a lot for me, and I do like the 43X, and many will opine the Sig P365 line gives the 43X a run for the money, especially in MA where they are easy to get. The 43X is nice in warmer weather it is easy to conceal and a little lighter than a 19 if you want to stay in the Glock universe

But from where I sit the G19 is, if acquired for reasonable money a good all around utilitarian gun

The Beretta APX, and that FN509-School-Bus-Thing (whatever number it is, the one that replaced the FNS) are arguably worse. A lot worse. And to compound matters there's no cheap way to fix either of them. The FN had the most disgusting trigger I ever used out of the box in temrs of how f***ing scratchy it was. Maybe its better now but I didn't even understand how they could get what they did for them. [rofl] The Beretta wasn't scratchy but it had this stupid sort of hard-wall/creep thing going on that I didn't like.

Also, most M&P stock triggers are worse than a Glock, if only thing because of that f***ing rubber band thing they got going on and lack of positive reset force. If smith put that shield pro max trigger in everything (they probably have by now, or more models at least) it would easily go from shit to decent on average.

ETA: I agree 110% on the canik. It is arguably by far best out of box, I almost bought an executive elite a few times.
At this point you are arguing that death by 998 cuts is not as bad as death by 1000 cuts. In both cases you are dead from bleeding out from excessive slicing of your flesh. Surprised you did not mention the bodyguard 380...

I am a 1911 whore so all other trigger suck. With that said, canik, CZ, walther, even springfield are light years ahead of the glock trigger.

And I did not see you try and defend that evil grip angle...

The Glock 19 is just as popular in free states as it is in MA. The MA roster has nothing to do with the popularity of the Glock 19.
I was addressing the “hype” as it relates to the pricing and the scarcity as it relates to perceived value. It’s the most popular handgun across globe, but unlikely the most popular in MA (not that we’d have date to show that one way or the other).

The Glock 19 simply a damn good gun. Very reliable. Accurate. Easily maintained. And until the release of the P365, it was about as space efficient as you could get — very well packaged.

Does it have downsides? Of course. It has a Glock trigger, which is at best meh. The stock sights are horrid, but easily replaced. The slide release is stupidly small, but the Glock extended slide release is cheap, effective, and easily replaced. The grip texture is a bit slippery, but easily fixed with grip tape.
You didn't mention the trigger is also fairly easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. Gen2 Pyramid Trigger | Custom Glock Modifications | GlockStore.com

G34 or you are just a pretender. Gigachad if you have a g40.

I have an unhealthy obsession with long slides. I am compensating. I refuse help and/or treatment.

Last edited:
what pisses me off is the 2 or 3 "ka booms" of 35 years ago. if you listen to some people, they'd have you think there have been 100's yearly. glock did something on those explosions few gun companies would do. they acknowledged the problem, took responsibility for the problem, knowing what the issue was right away they fixed it. there was humble pie eaten and apologies put out. it made the company better and i'm not sure they had any major malfunctions with their product again. compare that with sigs reaction when their gun went off when dropped. they only sat up and listened when police and the military started to question the pistols. don't know what you're fishing for here. the planet knows the product works...and seriously, in free states it's rather inexpensive also.
The issue with the KABOOMS was IIRC limited to the .40S&W guns, with the steep ramp angles they needed to get the round to chamber.

I have never heard of another Glock model blowing up unless there was user error or a squib round involved

The problem wasn't so much the gun, but the bullet being setback into the case by way of guys clearing their weapon to put away, and their putting the ejected round back in the top of the magazine, where it will be re chambered at some point. Repeated rechambering of the same round caused a setback and over pressurization issue

The solution was to not rechamber that round more than once or twice, a lot of guys tossed them in a range ammo jar after the second time it was ejected. If you wanted to you could check the OAL to make sure the bullet was not set back creating an over pressurization condition that caused the guns to fail.

But even then, there were not mass failures of guns.

The "hype" is twofold: they are not on the roster and it is routinely one of the top 3 selling handguns across the globe across all markets including civilian, law enforcement, military, and the black market. In MA, because they are not readily obtainable as a pistol sale, dealers price them based on what they think the value of being able to obtain an off-roster gun is worth. Also, the number of dealers who will help a customer obtain a Glock 19, though growing, is still very small in relationship to all the active FFLs in the state, which drives prices up further.

Why do people want them? In my opinion, there are better guns but no better platform to invest time and money in than Glock. The aftermarket support is unmatched. The skill level required to make impactful and noticeable upgrades is relatively low. The resale value is stable. As a functional firearm, it hits all the marks: it practically will shoot itself within the common self defense distances (up to 10 yards), but with a little practice you can hit steel at 25 yards with iron sights. With even a little more training, 40 yards+ is doable. The magazine availability is unrivaled for modern, polymer pistols.

For $620 (G5, MOS version), you can get the only pistol you'll ever need in terms of carry/defense/home defense. To me, that's a hell of a deal.

Not sure if it's worth the hype, but sure worth the money.

..... counter point - caniks exist =D

At this point you are arguing that death by 998 cuts is not as bad as death by 1000 cuts. In both cases you are dead from bleeding out from excessive slicing of your flesh. Surprised you did not mention the bodyguard 380...

The BG380 is pretty terrible but I thought that had a hammer inside it. If we go down a line of poor hammer guns, that could make a whole thread by itself. :)

I am a 1911 whore so all other trigger suck.

understandable POV. And it's literally the #1 reason I still have 1911s. [laugh]

With that said, canik, CZ, walther, even springfield are light years ahead of the glock trigger.

And I did not see you try and defend that evil grip angle...

I can't given that it is great for some people and terrible for others. It certainly is not the most ergonomically compatible over the widest variety of hand shapes. For some people Glock is borderline unusable because of that alone. It's not something thats "inherently neutral" like the typical P320 grip frame is.

A Glock is a good cheap reliable hand gun and in my opinion a Smith
M&P is just as reliable as well as an Sig P320 with out the BS of you can't get one in this State. And yes I have all 3 and more and am open to commerce offers :)

Last edited:
The issue with the KABOOMS was IIRC limited to the .40S&W guns, with the steep ramp angles they needed to get the round to chamber.
No, it's not. Every Glock line has blown up, at some point or another. Just that .40 S&W is the overwhselming majority of KBs by exponential orders of magnitude, in part due to the sheer volume of guns in circulation but also because of nippleheads who caused bullet setback, cant reload, reload using compromised brass, etc.

..... counter point - caniks exist =D

Caniks are great but they don't have the same ecosystem of parts, mags and holsters etc around.

For those who know, most of Glock land is not even about one gun, but the system.

In a cruel sense of irony, thats why Sig has done so well with the P320... because its an ecosystem of stuff, and most of it is accessible. Of course theyre not helping themselves by dodging lawsuits and underlying issues, and raping the shit out of dealers and consumers for the magazines.

Caniks are great but they don't have the same ecosystem of parts, mags and holsters etc around.

For those who know, most of Glock land is not even about one gun, but the system.

In a cruel sense of irony, thats why Sig has done so well with the P320... because its an ecosystem of stuff, and most of it is accessible. Of course theyre not helping themselves by dodging lawsuits and underlying issues, and raping the shit out of dealers and consumers for the magazines.
I love my vp9, but even with HK theres some limitations with this that still makes glock better.

Also mag prices

The G19 is the #1 sold handgun in the world.
But is it though?
I don't have any data, but am wondering, if you added up all of the 1911's sold, from all of the various manufacturers, in all the possible calibers, does the Glock 19 out sell all of them?
I know a lot more guys that own a 1911 than a G19.
I could be totally wrong, but still wonder.

But is it though?
I don't have any data, but am wondering, if you added up all of the 1911's sold, from all of the various manufacturers, in all the possible calibers, does the Glock 19 out sell all of them?

Yeah, I bet all glocks vs all 1911s glock still wins. And I'm sure the Glock 19 outsold any single 1911 handgun.

I'm just talking handguns, if you included rifles its probably definitely the ak47.

But for me glocks are meh. I like my G48 the best, but still CCW a full sized sig most of the time.

But is it though?
At least in a recent 10-15 or so year time period? not even a chance, not even close.

1911s are popular in terms of "handguns that fire .45 ACP" as a category, for sure, but that's not even a huge chunk of the market anymore, and hasn't been, for quite some
time now.

Now if you took a time machine and went back to the 90s when the G19 was an "infant" in relative terms, sure, I might buy that. But not for long.

The mag prices are a touch high, given a p320 mag and my canik mag are the same exact mec-gear mag, just with slightly different mag release positions, its only a $15 difference. and the extended 30 round mags are $60. To me, it matches up with the premium they charge for their products to begin with.

The mag prices are a touch high, given a p320 mag and my canik mag are the same exact mec-gear mag, just with slightly different mag release positions, its only a $15 difference. and the extended 30 round mags are $60. To me, it matches up with the premium they charge for their products to begin with.

I don't consider sigs product cost to be at premium levels, most of their mainstream guns are under a grand, but the mag costs even at dealer price for P320 mags nowadays are absurd, I think Sig thinks they are HK or something, and they are quite obviously padding the mag base cost for profit. They can get away with it too because the average normie consumer never buys extra magazines. On the other hand I get cold sweats if I have less than like a dozen or two mags for any particular model gun, I have exceptions but if I'm not at a level of "too many to keep count" then I dont have enough.

Nothing special, really. Easy to shoot, maintain, and reliable. Abundance of parts

I’m gonna get some crazy hazing for this, and it’s probably deserved. The M&P2.0 is a superior platform. Leaps and bounds over the Sig and better than the Glock. But, what the fcuk do I know.

The real irony? All but three of my handguns are Glock. The reason being; mags

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom