What’s with all the hype here for the Glock 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So full disclosure, I own a G19 and it’s a decent handgun. But I’m not getting all the hype here for it. What am I missing?

Just looked. There are 5 of them for sale in the classifieds. Some are demanding a pretty penny for them.
If they were “MA compliant“, they‘d immediately lose a big part of their NES following. The Walther PPQ/PDP is a superior pistol. I‘ve owned 19s, 23s, 17, and a 43X. Currently own a gen5 19, gen4 23, and G43X. I carry the 43X with Shield Arms gen3 15 rd mags. I also carry a 365 Macro in the fall/winter.

The mag prices are a touch high, given a p320 mag and my canik mag are the same exact mec-gear mag, just with slightly different mag release positions, its only a $15 difference. and the extended 30 round mags are $60. To me, it matches up with the premium they charge for their products to begin with.
A "touch high"?

SIG P320 Compact magazines, ~$50.
Glock 19 magazines: $24.

$50 per magazine isn't "a touch high", it's downright rapage.

My first gun ever was a Glock 19 Gen 4 cause I was reading up on wayyyyy too many SHTF forums and you know how they are with the 'If U OnLY HaD OnE GuN Wut??' threads. Apparently the Glock 19 is the one to get if the world ends. Fast forward a decade and a half and I no longer own any Glocks anymore lol.

You don’t need a smith for a Glock trigger can’t get much simpler. Watch a few YouTube videos drop a ghost or apex zev whatever you like in.
Done that, with oem parts twice, something is going on and I don't know what, been using oem parts, started happening after the RDS so I am not sure, the screws don't protrude. great for 500ish rounds and then the trigger pull weight starts creeping up.

A "touch high"?

SIG P320 Compact magazines, ~$50.
Glock 19 magazines: $24.

$50 per magazine isn't "a touch high", it's downright rapage.

They're $30 on glock's website. My Canik mags are $35 and best I can tell, the Mec-Gear mags are pretty high quality. You can use Canik mags and they work 100% with no modding including last round hold open. Spend a few bucks on new baseplates, and they become identical to p320 mags.

I love my gen5 19, but I only bought it because the price was right and the transaction was about as easy as it gets. I wouldn't pay the premium some people are charging. I'm really interested in the new 49, I love the idea of a long slide 19. All that being said Im trying to track down a no thumb safety hellcat pro at the moment, that might be the one to replace the g19 for me.

I hate my Glock 19. It's actually more than that, a very customized one off gun, but that makes it even worse. The mags don't like dropping free and it feels like a brick in my hand. The trigger is crap. I shot it for fun at my last match. Won the whole thing... hate the gun though.

I have many guns I love, I have a Sig P229 Legion that is phenomenal to shoot, a Kimber 1911 that is just amazing, HKs, and others. I also have a Gen 5 G19, because it just does the job every time, is lighter than most of my other guns, and because I don't live in MA anymore, was actually pretty cheap to buy. Hype? I mean, does a Toyota Camry deserve the hype? Same thing... always works, all the time.

It just works. All the time. Thats simple. But it’s saying a lot for something your life depends on.

The pricing in the classifieds, that’s a MA thing. Well, it’s a supply and demand thing created by legislation in states like MA.

I have no idea when I bought it..

What were some of the problems?

Will it just go off?
Nah..... brass to face, jamming, odd ejection. Mag compatibility issues. (Not great if someone cuddles with shitty u notch garbage etc).

It just works. All the time. Thats simple. But it’s saying a lot for something your life depends on.

The pricing in the classifieds, that’s a MA thing. Well, it’s a supply and demand thing created by legislation in states like MA.
Meh, I’ve had shitty Glocks and know well that I’m not alone, so your mileage may vary.

Nah..... brass to face, jamming, odd ejection. Mag compatibility issues. (Not great if someone cuddles with shitty u notch garbage etc).

I remember when they first came out and people were bringing them to matches...Big shit show, brass going in all directions.

Meh, I’ve had shitty Glocks and know well that I’m not alone, so your mileage may vary.
Maybe. I’ve never seen one that didn’t run right. I don’t have the biggest sample pool for first hand experience. But I think there are a lot of others that agree.

I have a Gen 4, what is wrong with it?

I have maybe put 100 rounds through it so not enough to expose any problems :)
When new, mine had failures to feed on the second to last round in a number of different magazines, including brand new ones. Eventually it became more reliable. Whether that was due to new magazine springs, new followers, the phase of the moon, sacrificing virgins, who knows.

I haven't shot it since I bought a Gen 5. I do think the magwell on the Gen 5 is a definite improvement. Also, the Gen 4 trigger was noticeably worse than the Gen 3 and Gen 5.

Maybe. I’ve never seen one that didn’t run right. I don’t have the biggest sample pool for first hand experience. But I think there are a lot of others that agree.
I had a gen 4 that would stovepipe every 3-4 rds with preban 15rd u notch mags. I cleaned, left racked for two weeks, tried different ammo from 115gr to 147gr and it just didn’t run right. Sent it back to Glock and they returned it, still didn’t run right. Ran better but not enough that I’d trust my life on it.

Readily available preban magazines, simple design, lots of aftermarket support, common caliber.

Maybe it's just me, but I like the semi older Glocks better than the newer ones. I had a Gen4 G19 that I just didn't like. Sold it and bought a Gen3 G19. Much better, least for me...

I do like Glocks. Never had a 19 though. Had a 21, can’t beat 13 rounds of 45 for SHTF
Hold my beer. How about 15 (+1) rounds of 10mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom