Weymouth Has A High LTC Restriction Rate. New Chief Takes Over In January. Apply Now .Or Wait?

Hetzer

NES Member
I have a friend in Weymouth applying for his LTC and Weymouth has a high denial and restriction rate. He’s an upstanding citizen with no criminal record, he’s married, has kids, is a football coach and was in the Army reserves for well over ten years. Not that any of that aside form the lack of criminal record and his military service.

Should he apply now and if he gets restrictions, try to get them removed later or just wait until the new Chief takes over in January and apply then?

Remember that they need a live fire card from the BSC class and 3 letters. And the person had to write a letter as to why they needed unrestricted.

He took live fire and will have the three letters. Any idea of what to write for reasons? Assuming that all lawful purposes and protection of family and self defense aren’t enough.

The last LO was a dickbag and out to screw anyone he could. Once he left I had heard it got better though apparently COMM2a nailed them so maybe that was the reason.

The last LO was a dickbag (King) and out to screw anyone he could (except the usual carve-outs). Once he left I had heard it got better though apparently COMM2a nailed them so maybe that was the reason.

Both and yes, it's gotten much better. I can't remember needing letters, at least on renewals, just two names for reference and I don't think they called, not sure of first time licensing as I've been licensed for many decades (different towns over those years). As for the letter for a reason to carry unrestricted, being a business owner works in Weymouth, carrying large sums of money, your job takes you into some sketchy areas, especially late at night ect. along with drug use/crime in Weymouth has risen dramatically, things along those lines are what they are looking for. Simply stating ALP, constitutional right, you're a collector, you have your FLL03 and so on won't float. It sucks but you're dealing with the whims of the 350 different little fifedoms in this may issue state. Just think about situations that your placed in where you have no control due to outside expectations and jot it down.

I got my LTC from Quincy a few years before I moved to Weymouth. I'm not expecting any issues, but was wondering how far in advance should you apply for renewal?

Apply as early as you can in Weymouth. I applied in August, didnt get me in for a meeting with the licensing officer until mid October. Renewal is still sitting at the PD waiting to be sent to the state.

From what I gathered in my conversation with the licensing officer they are so backed up he has had to switch from all licensing to only gun licenses full time.

With their Mayor being a Republican with a very strong Libertarian streak ( full disclosure I know him personally from my days in the radio business and elected positions) I'd be surprised it Weymouth was not issuing LTC's with no restrictions as policy. But then again many towns with "Strong Chiefs" under MA Law routinely tell the elected officials they are answerable to to go eff themselves.

With their Mayor being a Republican with a very strong Libertarian streak ( full disclosure I know him personally from my days in the radio business and elected positions) I'd be surprised it Weymouth was not issuing LTC's with no restrictions as policy. But then again many towns with "Strong Chiefs" under MA Law routinely tell the elected officials they are answerable to to go eff themselves.

For a long time the problem was the licensing officer himself, not the chief. King was a douche of the highest order, and did whatever he wanted. Have an interest in common with him and BS him about it while you were there, No restrictions. Anyone else, restricted GFY. I suspect the last new chief came in, and didn't have anything to do with licensing either just letting king take care of that himself. Now king is gone and they got sued so with luck people will get unrestricted if they can get their heads out of their asses and actually process the applications.

For a long time the problem was the licensing officer himself, not the chief. King was a douche of the highest order, and did whatever he wanted. Have an interest in common with him and BS him about it while you were there, No restrictions. Anyone else, restricted GFY. I suspect the last new chief came in, and didn't have anything to do with licensing either just letting king take care of that himself. Now king is gone and they got sued so with luck people will get unrestricted if they can get their heads out of their asses and actually process the applications.
That was a similar story in our town. Several CLEOs just left it to a licensing officer who was a real douche; ex-mil and friends got unrestricted, everyone else was S&T only. I got to know the Lt. and brought up this licensing practice. He did some research on his own and went to the chief with a recommendation to issue unrestricted, unless there was specific reason not to. The licensing officer was displeased with the new policy so that responsibility was taken away; the department admin took over the paperwork side and the Lt or CLEO signed. He left the department not long afterward.

Back
Top Bottom