Went To A CMP Shoot Today

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Went to a friend's range today and participated in my first CMP shoot. 60 rounds at 100 meters; 20 rounds each standing (no sling, one round at a time), 20 sitting (clips and slings allowed), and 20 prone (clips and slings allowed). Mats and scopes were provided. I'd never shot sitting or prone before. Of the 10 of us on the first firing line, there were five Garands, three AR15s, and two Mausers; I had my bolt MM 1916 V. Chr. Schilling 98M with a 22# Wolff spring and '53 Yugo surplus, and my friend had a bolt MM Turked 1890 Steyr Commission 88 with hand loads.

Targets are standing, sitting, and prone from left to right. I scored 148/200 with one miss standing, 122/200 with three misses sitting (very uncomfortable; I'm a little too old, fat, and don't bend well anymore), and 147/200 with no misses prone. Total score 417/600 (70%).

$5 entry fee and no prizes, but I walked away with a CMP qualification certificate which may start the CMP paperwork process for me.

MS

003-6.jpg

Last edited:
where did you go, nice they provide spotting scopes, that helps alot. Nothing worse than wondering where your shots are going... If you really dont practice your positions or use your sling correclty you cant really ask for much better than 70%. I rotate between my 4 surplus rifles 2 garands , sks , 30 carbine and a 1903a3(yet to use at CMP clinic shooty thing) I go to Hanson rod and gun clubs CMP shoot....you really only compete against yourself
Its open to the public
1st saturday of the month shooting begins @ 9am get there with time to set up
3rd Sunday of the month shooting starts @ 12pm get there with time to set up
Targets only id 5.00
Targets 60 rounds of ammo 30-06 or 30 carbine 35.00( rifles and carbines are also available, about 10 of each ??)
You do not have to run the course of fire. You can shoot off the bench all prone or what have you. Its just intended to give people a chance to shoot or try shooting Military firearms and get them interested.

I guess popping my M1 at mansfield gave you the bug?

That, and I think every MilSurp collection should have a M1. Looks like my form fulfills the marksmanship/firearms activity requirement only; my license to carry and FFL3 would have done the same. Looks like I'll still need a GOAL membership.

MS

That, and I think every MilSurp collection should have a M1. Looks like my form fulfills the marksmanship/firearms activity requirement only; my license to carry and FFL3 would have done the same. Looks like I'll still need a GOAL membership.

MS

Either GOAL or your membership to a range which affiliate with CMP. I purchase my first garand using membership proof.

The only drawback of using my range membership is I need to resent proof of membership every years. If you have lifetime membership to GOAL, you only need to proof once. [wink]

Last edited:
Either GOAL or your membership to a range which affiliate with CMP. I purchase my first garand using membership proof.

The only drawback of using my range membership is I need to resent proof of membership every years. If you have lifetime membership to GOAL, you only need to proof once. [wink]

My club/range is not CMP affiliated; hence GOAL.

MS

This was the Holbrook Gun Club.

MS

Nice club isn't it. CMP shoot every month[smile]. If you don't have a rifle, no problem we supply them. I arrived when it was over and shot my Savage tactical. Its so nice to shoot more than 100 yards. Hope to see you at the next shoot.

MS

or you can just call me and as I told you, I will sell you mine tomorrow [smile]

MS

Or join Holbrook which is a CMP affiliated club. They also just purchased AR15 to use in the CMP shoots.

Or join Holbrook which is a CMP affiliated club. They also just purchased AR15 to use in the CMP shoots.

And for those that really enjoy the CMP shoots, whether coincidence or per plan, you can do two/month on consecutive Saturdays! Braintree R&P is the 3rd Saturday and it appears that Holbrook SC is the 4th Saturday! Prices quoted above also seem to be the same and both clubs have guns for people to shoot if they don't own their own yet.

M1s are a blast to shoot and the AR15 "the mighty Mattel . . . it's swell!" (that ought to bring back some memories to some of us older folks [laugh] )!

ok another saturday to add Hanson rod and gun does the 1st saturday 9am of each month and a 3rd sunday of each month..... 4 TIMES a month within a small drive.

Back
Top Bottom