Went shooting yesterday......

m44

Yesterday we went shooting brought a lot of different guns, I had a great time (almost). The reason why it is almost a good time is I got a nice 3 inch cut on my head. You see I was shooting my SKS and one the fired cases bounced off the wall of the building and hit me in the head cutting my head open somehow.
Only thing is at first I didn't realize that it had cut me I just thought it had hit me, well I am still shooting when all of a sudden blood starts dripping down on my glasses (Im almost blind without them) up until then I never realized I had been cut.

Anybody else ever have anything like this happen to them ?
BTW the SKS is very accurate.

Never. I've always had a cover of some sort. That sounds like it might have sucked.

I've been burned by brass and had some frags come back my way but nothing like you're describing. Seen some fails that have effed up the human body, just not mine. Luckily.

Sorry to hear about your accident. A three inch cut from a piece of brass seems really, really large.

I've had nick, scrapes and burns from brass. I've nicked my hand on a slide and gotten little cuts on my hands from sights, but I've never gotten any thing like a 3" cut (yet).

Respectfully,

jkelly

Was not richochet I know that much I was shooting 100 yards, not sure if it was brass just guessing because all I know is I got a 3 inch cut across my head not deep but it bled pretty good. Thats all I know

+1 on required safety equip, I do not shoot without any of those... it could have been a ricochet....

Well I was wearing glasses and earmuffs forgot the hat (I usually wear one). Here's what happened, I was at the range and decided to try a 5 shot group at a hundred yards with my sks. So I load it up with five rounds I take the first shot I feel something hit my head, there was no pain so I didn't think there was anything wrong . I go to take the second shot and all of a sudden I cant see a thing (my glasses were covered with blood). Then I grabbed a roll of ductape and a paper towel out of my brothers jeep (he is a mechanic so luckily for me he had them in his vehicle) and bandaged myself up. The cut is about 3 inches long, about a guarter of an inch wide and maybe a eighth of a inch deed. It bleed a lot. I was shooting 100 yards into a dirt bank and my target stand was wood so I ruled out ricochet. Come to think Of it there was somebody else shooting there to, and my bullet hit the target[smile]

you might have been hit by the brass ejecting straight from the chamber, and if the mouth of the brass caught sensitive forehead skin, you see what may result.... dont forget that head wounds always look/bleed worse.... 1st responder 101...

The only thing similar that I've had is from my Colt Defender 1911. The damn thing, for some reason, has a tendancy to eject some rounds towards my face. I've had a number of circular holes left in my forehead as a result.

I probably need to have a gunsmith look at it.

I had a rather embarassing experience yesterday... Went to tha range right after work wearing my uniform, and a hot shell from 0.45 jumped right under my scrubs top [wink]

I had a rather embarassing experience yesterday... Went to tha range right after work wearing my uniform, and a hot shell from 0.45 jumped right under my scrubs top [wink]

Thats gonna leave a mark!

Wearing loose fitting/open top cloths is another learn as you go for some people, I always wear safety glasses, hearing protection, a brimmed hat range cloths = crew neck-T shirt, jeans/cargo pants light flanel or wind breaker(open front)...

why do you wear the brimmed hat for? ive never even thought about wearing a hat for saftey reasons

why do you wear the brimmed hat for? ive never even thought about wearing a hat for saftey reasons

There is usually a gap between your forehead and your glasses. This is particularly true for prescription glasses, which are typically more straight across (rather than bent to conform to the brow). A hat with a bill covers that gap and prevents discharged cartridge cases from getting between your eyes and a glasses. If you do get a cartridge case between your eye and your glasses you could lose your vision in that eye.

There are some ranges (S&W) that require all shooters to wear a hat. This is why.

ohhh.. luckily my shooting glasses dont have that gap.

Yes they do. It may be small, but it is still there. And if you get sweaty, your glasses may slide down your nose a bit. Wear a hat. In addition to the safety issue, it shields your eyes from the sun and makes it easier to see your sights and target.

Back
Top Bottom