well it is official... going to Vermont

I won't rule out a move, but inertia is strong with me. I've been in my rut a long time, but I'm not kidding about feeling freer when I enter Vermont. Who would think an imaginary line would make such a difference?

It was also quite conveniently timed with military retirement, so a move was going to happen no matter what. Not a hard sell for the family either.

question for you movers, are your retiring (ing) or are you actually finding work up there? From what I've seen Vermont is pretty bare of any real work or industries.

question for you movers, are your retiring (ing) or are you actually finding work up there? From what I've seen Vermont is pretty bare of any real work or industries.
I work with DHS in border security. Vermont has a lot of that... :) So I will be fortunate enough to make good wages in a good cost of living area. At least compared to Hawaii. Better gun laws in VT too.

- - - Updated - - -

To bad the State is controlled by old hippies and repressive liberals.
With better gun laws and property prices than mass though.

Retired from AD Mil, then came up here. Found a new job in pretty short order. Unemployment in VT is really low and there is work. This place is full of liberals, but I don't find them to be "repressive." Especially when it comes to 2A. Just compare and contrast MA/VT laws. You can do whatever you want up here. The old hippies are pretty live and let live.

If you really want to get in good with your VT neighbors, only drink and eat from styrofoam cups and plateware. Complain often of having to re-fill your leaking AC unit in the car. Get a T-shirt that says, "If It Ain't Nuclear, It Better Be Coal!"

You'll be welcomed as a comrade in no time. [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

Retired from AD Mil, then came up here. Found a new job in pretty short order. Unemployment in VT is really low and there is work. This place is full of liberals, but I don't find them to be "repressive." Especially when it comes to 2A. Just compare and contrast MA/VT laws. You can do whatever you want up here. The old hippies are pretty live and let live.

For now. Liberals stick together. It's like Conservatives and Religious Right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the available off work is highly dependant on the industry. I haven't seen anything I could take. I'm IT infrastructure engineer or IT manager/director in mid-sized company.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the available off work is highly dependant on the industry. I haven't seen anything I could take. I'm IT infrastructure engineer or IT manager/director in mid-sized company.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TBH, I have no idea. I haven't looked at IT jobs. I would think it's a safe bet that for IT you're much better off in a more developed area.

Out of curiosity, did you find anything related to your military specialty or did you go in a completely different direction?

If you really want to get in good with your VT neighbors, only drink and eat from styrofoam cups and plateware. Complain often of having to re-fill your leaking AC unit in the car. Get a T-shirt that says, "If It Ain't Nuclear, It Better Be Coal!"

You'll be welcomed as a comrade in no time. [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

For now. Liberals stick together. It's like Conservatives and Religious Right.

Vermont. The first state that allowed gay marriage and also the state I saw the bumper sticker that read; "It's Mom and Dad not Tom and Brad". Nearly pissed myself laughing.

Got the call today, going to Vermont, Richford area. Shout out if you are in that area and a shooter. Thanks!
Welcome! Can always use more shooters. You are WAY up there, though. I'm about an hour and 3/4 south of you in Starksboro. Join Gun Owners of Vermont; the antis don't stop and Bloomberg has his sights on us. The paid hit pieces have already started on VPR and WCAX in anticipation of the upcoming legislation season.

Just made my way up here. Settled north of Burlington and already found a great range, not too far from you. CBP?
Welcome! I'm not too far from you - probably less than an hour. Which club? Lamoille Valley, or SCFC?

Hahah!! Thanks guys!!! Yes CBP. Honolulu stinks. Too hot here and a 2/1 condo 700sf is 526k starting! Gun laws do suck compared to there. Ranges are HARD to find.
Uh... you're in for a rude surprise, I'm afraid. Not a whole lot of ranges/clubs up here when all you have to do to shoot is walk out your back door. It's one drawback; not many competitions! I miss Steel Challenge shoots.

Vermont is s beautiful state.
All I hear is about how crunchy granola liberal it is, but I know alot of people over there:both friends and family, and to a person, they are very conservative.
The crunchy granola types are, by and large, in Burlington, Brattleboro and the state house in Montpelier.

Moving to Waterbury here
There's some awesome restaurants and brew pubs there. Best pizza around is The Blue Stone; an awesome restaurant is The Prohibition Pig. Amazing BBQ and the duck fat fries are NOT to be missed. Their brew pub is around the corner from the restaurant. One of the bigger gun shops in the state is in Waterbury, Parro's, BTW.

Sweet! We are looking in Franklin County now. Looking like I'll be there mid Sept. Good to see so many freedom loving individuals! At least 2 more pro gun conservative votes added to the rolls in VT!

I'm going to have to host a BBQ. Get MrsDwarven1 (Luv2BFree) to fire up the smoker.

Did I mention I've got a berm in the side yard?

To bad the State is controlled by old hippies and repressive liberals.
Governor is a gunnie and a Republican who's promised to veto any gun legislation that lands on his desk.

Depends on the industry. Having a hard time finding anything in telephony still. IT isn't too bad if you're near Burlington or Montpelier.

Try these guys: www.vttechjobs.com Also check the ads in https://jobs.sevendaysvt.com/.

I will have to discuss with my Zombacalypse partner (my wife is a shooter, too - met her at an Appleseed Shoot). I'm thinking we may have to find a weekend in September or October - the leaves are gorgeous by us; we can see Mt. Ellen and Mt. Lincoln from our yard.

I will have to discuss with my Zombacalypse partner (my wife is a shooter, too - met her at an Appleseed Shoot). I'm thinking we may have to find a weekend in September or October - the leaves are gorgeous by us; we can see Mt. Ellen and Mt. Lincoln from our yard.

Sounds good. Got to be a great view. I'm just a quick hop from Mt. Mansfield. Can't get enough of hiking up there.

Welcome! Can always use more shooters. You are WAY up there, though. I'm about an hour and 3/4 south of you in Starksboro. Join Gun Owners of Vermont; the antis don't stop and Bloomberg has his sights on us. The paid hit pieces have already started on VPR and WCAX in anticipation of the upcoming legislation season.

Welcome! I'm not too far from you - probably less than an hour. Which club? Lamoille Valley, or SCFC?

Uh... you're in for a rude surprise, I'm afraid. Not a whole lot of ranges/clubs up here when all you have to do to shoot is walk out your back door. It's one drawback; not many competitions! I miss Steel Challenge shoots.

The crunchy granola types are, by and large, in Burlington, Brattleboro and the state house in Montpelier.

There's some awesome restaurants and brew pubs there. Best pizza around is The Blue Stone; an awesome restaurant is The Prohibition Pig. Amazing BBQ and the duck fat fries are NOT to be missed. Their brew pub is around the corner from the restaurant. One of the bigger gun shops in the state is in Waterbury, Parro's, BTW.

I'm going to have to host a BBQ. Get MrsDwarven1 (Luv2BFree) to fire up the smoker.

Did I mention I've got a berm in the side yard?

Governor is a gunnie and a Republican who's promised to veto any gun legislation that lands on his desk.

Depends on the industry. Having a hard time finding anything in telephony still. IT isn't too bad if you're near Burlington or Montpelier.

Try these guys: www.vttechjobs.com Also check the ads in https://jobs.sevendaysvt.com/.

HAHAHAHA!!! awesome! I will shout out ASAP! Thinking a berm in my backyard will serve me well! Hope the neighbors like guns! ;)

Will definitely join Vermont gun owners, that is a must!

BTW, for those of you already up here, gun show this weekend in Rutland at The Howe.

Here's a dollar off admission. Say hi - I'll be behind the Lonely Mountain Arms table.

GrnMtnGun JN17 #2.jpg

Hey, guys? The company that JUST hired me (government contractor based in Williston) also asked me if I knew anyone who could fill a Network Engineer Level 2 position.

Anyone?

Email me at my Gmail account: dwarven1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hey, guys? The company that JUST hired me (government contractor based in Williston) also asked me if I knew anyone who could fill a Network Engineer Level 2 position.

Anyone?

Email me at my Gmail account: dwarven1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I could fill the position. I wouldn't know what the hell I'm doing, but I'll fake till I make it.

Back
Top Bottom