Well I met the Governor

Knob Creek

NES Member
Yesterday I was present in a meeting with Gov. Patrick and others. Following the meeting I had a few minutes alone with him. I asked if I could discuss something unrelated to what we had just met about. He said "certainly".
I told him that I was a NRA RSO and had been in regulated shooting sports for over 35 years and that he was wrong on the proposed Firearms Exhibitions Regulations.
He asked if things were good the way they are now. I explained that the NRA, GOAL and the individual clubs are best at this and they should be allowed to continue as such.
I further explained that we all are continually looking for improvements in safety. That the proposed regulations were unnecessary and counter productive. That the State Police while doing a fine job for what they were intended are ill equipped to certify Safety officers as the proposed regulations would mandate.

That this proposed regulation affects everything from Summer Camp programs, Women only events, Hunters, Basic firearms instruction and others. And requiring "detail officers" serve no function and that the Proposed Regulations are vague and open to individual interpretation.

Additionally that the fatal accident in Westfield occurred in my understanding while a private company including the Chief of Police and other officers were running the match and not the Club itself.

I also suggested that his best resource for gun safety was with Jim Wallace and Jon Green at GOAL.

That about all I had time for but he did listen attentively and did seen interested in what I had to say.

Last edited:
Well done. I don't know if it will amount to much, but it's nice that one of our own got to speak dirrectly with him. Reps coming your way for pointing him to GOAL and company.

Thank you. It sounds like you presented our case in a very respectful yet strong manner. +1 to you sir.

well I am sure in the big picture you did not change his mind however any opportunity to make a difference is a good one.

Great job and thanks for taking the opportunity to support our cause.

Rob

Thanks for the effort. The only way things will change is if everyone does this on some level when the opportunity presents its self. Wether its your local Selectmen or Mayor al the way to the Govenor. Good Job +1

That about all I had time for but he did listen attentively and did seem interested in what I had to say.

Fantastic opportunity and it sounds as though you made the most of it.

The eternal pessimist in me whispers that the seeming interest was feigned and that it will have no actual effect, but you did EXACTLY what each of us should do given the opportunity.

Thank you.

That about all I had time for but he did listen attentively and did seen interested in what I had to say.

I hope you are right! I've met him on two different occasions. I get the feeling he really doesn't care what we peons think. He does put on a good face though, afterall that's what got him to where he is now.

+6 for doing that. Don't think his stripes will ever change, but it never hurts to have a polite conversation and get your point across.

I'm going to have him climbing a wind turbine in a couple of weeks. Can you say captive audience?

Need a harness for him? I have a Petzl I used as my primary, but since I haven't been climbing in a good 10 years now, its just sitting in storage for that time, down in the basement, in all that humidity. I'd rather see it put to use and find some of its former glory than to rot away like that or to get thrown into the trash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPzjN1HlS9c

+1 for doing this. It probably won't help but you never know. BTW it was Westfield not Westford. It didn't got down at my club (thankfully).

Fantastic opportunity and it sounds as though you made the most of it.

The eternal pessimist in me whispers that the seeming interest was feigned and that it will have no actual effect, but you did EXACTLY what each of us should do given the opportunity.

Thank you.

+1, I hope Devil actually listened to what you were saying.

He's probably just loopy from the pain meds from his pending hip replacement. Makes him stare thoughtfully into space. Any Dem can look intelligent with the administration of proper drugs...[wink]

Great job.

He might not do what you recommend, but, it looks like he listened (at least didn't shut you down), and maybe he'll grow some common sense and rethink the plan some.

Good arguments, too. You gave him something to work with, maybe like mandating NRA RSO's at shooting events. Different requirement thresholds to hold club events versus company run (for profit) events. Mentioning GOAL and specifying names to contact.

EXCELLENT!

If we can just keep this in his face, leading him to believe that a greater percentage of the population gives a damn than he thinks - he might just reconsider his views.

Not that I give it a snowball's chance in hell..... but maybe.

Back
Top Bottom