Water storage question

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
I know I can get a quicker answer here rather than searching or YouTube. So what is the best way to store water. I have a few 5 gallon water storage containers I want to fill. I want to know the best way to go about it.

I'm far from an expert but I remember reading somewhere to sanitize containers and add a few drops of chlorine bleach for long term storage

i buy distilled water at $1 a gallon. keeps for 2 years MINIMUM. it's just too cheap to DIY. I use distilled water in my humidifier through the winter so my stock rotates regularly. I probably use like 20 gallons a winter which, spending $20 is a cheap alternative to having to clean the humidifier on a regular basis.

but yes, otherwise there are bleach methods. i would taste test whatever method you use though.

I'm far from an expert but I remember reading somewhere to sanitize containers and add a few drops of chlorine bleach for long term storage

This- sanitize the containers then add 5-6 drops per gallon when you add water, shake it up, cap it tightly and store it. Put the date on it so you know how old it is.

I've got a few million gallons of stored water that I've cleverly disguised as lakes and ponds. [wink]

Seriously though, if you have access to a water heater tank you've already got between 30-80 gallons of water stored.

This was my approach until the water supply in SC(?) got tainted last year. Once you run your hot water even a little you contaminate your tank and now have 0 gallons of clean water stored. Obviously if you know about the contamination before running the water you can shut off the supply and it's fine.

This was my approach until the water supply in SC(?) got tainted last year. Once you run your hot water even a little you contaminate your tank and now have 0 gallons of clean water stored. Obviously if you know about the contamination before running the water you can shut off the supply and it's fine.

yup, it's happened a couple times that the mwra water was thought to be contaminated or they issued a boil water order. neither time was it actually deemed harmful after testing but while they were uncertain there was a crazy run for bottled water and whatever was in your water heater was already of unknown quality.

Last edited:
I've been storing bottled water in empty cat litter buckets. It's nice for portability if you needed it, but the water tastes like clean cat litter smells. It's time for a different approach [smile]

I have four of these on the side of the garage, 250 gals each.

1024px-WaterBarrelPlastic.JPG

i read somewhere that iodine is a good sterilizer. dont quote me but i think 1 drop per gallon was the ratio.

The WaterBOB is something to consider. Store 100g of water in your bathtub. The only problem is you need some warning that the SHTF enough to possibly disrupt the water supply.

I don't think you need warning - the pressure in the lines should last some period of time after the pumps are down. As long as you're home when it happens, just immediately fill up the bathtub or Waterbob.

The WaterBOB is something to consider. Store 100g of water in your bathtub. The only problem is you need some warning that the SHTF enough to possibly disrupt the water supply.

I have these. For the reason you stated, its useless imo. Wasted my $$.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you need warning - the pressure in the lines should last some period of time after the pumps are down. As long as you're home when it happens, just immediately fill up the bathtub or Waterbob.

This is true only for those on city water, and ideally at the bottom of the system.

So for those of you who have purchased/have on hand 3 months of (survival) food for a family of 4, what accommodations have you made to satisfy the 360 gallons of water that will be required to keep you alive?

So for those of you who have purchased/have on hand 3 months of (survival) food for a family of 4, what accommodations have you made to satisfy the 360 gallons of water that will be required to keep you alive?
I have a 55 gallon drum in basement and a brook runs along the border of my back yard. I will need to filter and or boil that. Big Berkey for filter.

Dug well, running water 120 feet from my door than runs 24/7/365 at least at a trickle and a cistern uphill that will supply water to the house, albeit at a low rate of flow. Since you are asking about water going in, the water going OUT is covered by a 5 bedroom gravity fed septic. No pump, no mound.

Katadyn Vario. 500 gallons per filter. Carbon for chemicals, microfiber for bio, and ceramic for gross filtration. 2 spare filters on hand = 1500 gallons of clean water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had to clean some of my water storage containers and thought I would share the method as I am pleased with the results.

I put my 7 gallon reliance water jugs into storage when I moved about a year ago - it was a rushed move so I did exactly what I shouldn't, dumped them out and stored them while still wet. Opened them up this past weekend and no mildew/mold or anything but that had the funny old water bottle smell which I can really only describe as 'sour'. I poured some bleach (no real measurement, a couple tablespoons of baking soda and maybe half a gallon of water in each). Shook them up good and let them sit for a day shaking them up every couple hours or so. Rinsed them out well, let them sit and they smelled fresh again.

Since I've refilled and treated and they're back in storage, I'll probably check them in another 6 months to see how they smell and add a bit more bleach if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom