Wasr-10 Advice

GaryO

NES Member
I am looking to get a Wasr-10 and was wondering what people thought of them.Any help would be appreciated.

I have one and love it, stock trigger and all. Do a search, you'll see some photos of WASRs owned by members.

+1 on fixing the trigger.

You'll want to update the trigger group not so much to correct the trigger pull, release, or over-travel - you'll want to do it to get rid of the heinous trigger slap. The trigger slap is bad enough to leave a bruise/blood blister on your trigger finger.

I've got an SAR1 and love it. My friend has a WASR (can't remember the model number but know it has a thumbhole stock) and he loves it. His is more accurate than mine. Only thing I'd recomend is checking the front sight. Some are coming in with canted sights. This is where the front sight was put on tilted and makes zeroing very dificult. Just look straight down the sights against a white background and make sure they line up well.
Triggers can be fixed if the slap bothers you. Myself I left mine as is and have fired hundreds of rounds per range trip, plus bump fired. It doesn't bother me. Than again I work with my hands doing auto body work for a living so my finger tips are like leather anyway. [laugh]

I am looking to get a Wasr-10 and was wondering what people thought of them.Any help would be appreciated.

Same here, particularilly the ones FS is offering. Anybody have one of these;

WASR-10 rifles in 7.62x39 are in stock. $339.95 cash or check. $349 credit card.
72l_RI1108_p.jpg

These come with 2 high capacity magazines.

These have been legally converted by Century Arms to accept high capacity magazines.

Same here, particularilly the ones FS is offering. Anybody have one of these;

WASR-10 rifles in 7.62x39 are in stock. $339.95 cash or check. $349 credit card.

These come with 2 high capacity magazines.

These have been legally converted by Century Arms to accept high capacity magazines.
That's where I bought mine.
ak.jpg

I also got mine at FS but its an SAR1.

ac05a966-1.jpg

Gotta love the dimpled receiver for magazine fit.[grin] (and yes it was very carefully placed on top of the blocks)

Excuse the ignorance

So, a WASR "is" an AK-47? Then it begs the question, why so cheap? New at FS it's less then any used AK-47 on GunsAmerica.

thanks,
Chuck

For some reason WASR's are cheaper than SAR1's. Only reasons I can think of are, is the SAR has a chrome lined barrel and 'dimples' in the side of the receiver to make the mag fit better....but that's all I can figure.

Last edited:
SAR1s were one of the first imports for Romanian AKs, WASR models were imported after the SAR1s were gone and were originally made to accept low capacity magazines. The lack of sales of WASRs with low capacity magazines forced importers to modify the receivers by making them able to accept high cap magazines. Some recievers had problems with side to side wobble so plates were welded in place. The dimples in the SAR1 receivers prevented the magazines from side to side wobble. The WASRs also have a threaded muzzle with a welded nut often attached.
AKs that you see going for much more on auction sites may have been modified or are pre ban, new production and not Mass compliant, or just plain overpriced.

I was at FS last week and they had a SAR1for 350 in great shape. According to the used gun page in the website they still have it... Give em a call

Romanian SAR 1 7.62x39 5172087-2xxx $349.95

The WASR I looked at yesterday had a chrome lined barrel and they are a little more at Northeast in Plainville, $399. I might have to take a ride up to FS but Northeast is alot more convenient. Thanks for all the feedback! After the elections I think anyone who wants a hi capacity weapon better get it now.

FWIW, most of the SAR-1s ive seen have come with markedly better
furniture than many of the WASR-10s. Otherwise they seem like the
same rifle. Who knows though... it could be whatever the century
arms "furniture du jour" is.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom