Washington state approves ban on semi-automatic rifles: ‘We refuse to accept gun violence as normal’Story by Associated Press • 1h ago

Does the law allow grandfathering?

If not, the smackdown on this could be even more expansive than Bruen...

It bans future sale, distribution, manufacture and importation. So basically playing the long game.

The RI magazine ban did not allow for grandfathering, and all it took was an activist judge to hold it up.

It’s cute you think Bruen matters though.

Does the law allow grandfathering?

If not, the smackdown on this could be even more expansive than Bruen...
Yes. But I believe you can only sell "preban" items to FFLs that then must sell to law enforcement ( I read the final bill at 3AM, so may be more to it than that). Seems like they are essentially non-transferrable. No clue about getting them serviced for repair or how you could buy parts (more like, who will sell them to you).

We're definitely in uncharted territory here. I can't think of another time when states have directly and purposefully ignored, or actually violated, a Supreme Court ruling. I think these 5 justices should be extremely pissed and take cases immediately to smack these states down.
Sing it with me: 🎶 De-seg-re-GA-tion! 🎶

The states didn't just roll over. National Guard units had to be sent in.

Not to mention Jackson's (perhaps apocryphal) "now let him enforce it."

We're definitely in uncharted territory here. I can't think of another time when states have directly and purposefully ignored, or actually violated, a Supreme Court ruling. I think these 5 justices should be extremely pissed and take cases immediately to smack these states down.

OpoQQ.jpg

@Mesatchornug beat me to it.

States and presidents defying SCOTUS happens all the time.

@Mesatchornug beat me to it.

States and presidents defying SCOTUS happens all the time.
Ignoring is 1 thing, passing laws that fly in the face of what they ruled seems like a pretty simple fix on the SCOTUS end. Maybe I'm impatient but it seems SCOTUS should take a case and strike them all down.

Ignoring is 1 thing, passing laws that fly in the face of what they ruled seems like a pretty simple fix on the SCOTUS end. Maybe I'm impatient but it seems SCOTUS should take a case and strike them all down.
You’re impatient.

It’s never worked that way. Why would it this time?

And if that's the case then why is Heller the law of the land? Wouldn't DC and Chicago just "ignored" SCOTUS? But they didn't, they got in line. Now just feels different

Heller was ignored for awhile, I think?

Regardless, every state gets to do what it wants. Vive la state sovereignty. The courts are there for when that system fails.

Which it does. A lot. Again, read up on school desegregation. It’ll give you some perspective.

There are many ways to attach a silencer that don't use threads.
Genuinely curious, how? CT allows suppressors unlike MA but any pistol that has a threaded barrel is an "assault weapon". Gotcha. Brilliant feature, not a bug. What are you gonna do, pin and weld a three lug to a pistol barrel? How would you ever take it apart to clean?

I think a potential big difference maker today versus 10-20 years ago is there are far more active organizations suing at the state/local level opposed to the NRA which spent the past decades mostly fostering relationships at the federal level (though there are plenty of good NRA affiliated state organizations, they don't get a share of the funding). The more lawsuits that get filed today, the greater the chance the Supreme Court takes up a major case. I suppose it's a numbers game.

Genuinely curious, how? CT allows suppressors unlike MA but any pistol that has a threaded barrel is an "assault weapon". Gotcha. Brilliant feature, not a bug. What are you gonna do, pin and weld a three lug to a pistol barrel? How would you ever take it apart to clean?
The tri lug is a way. Muzzle devices with features for the suppressor are another.

There are also firearms that can host it other than semiauto pistols. For example, bolt rifles.

I'm not saying it's okay. I'm pretty much "every law is an infringement." But acting like an obvious block is the end to all use is defeatist attitude. That's what they want: for you to pack up and go home. I feel like there's a three-word slogan out there about having the bigger brain, finding alternatives, and winning. It's right on the top of my tongue....

Last edited:
Still with the "barrel shroud" nonsense.

& Tavors and Steyr Augs are still OK. Got it. Springfield Hellion, too.

These people are f***ed in the head.
They forgot to add the minimum overall length requirements CT did after their revised sandy hook assault weapon ban. Those bullpups would be no gos unless you have a retardedly long pinned and welded barrel.

Still with the "barrel shroud" nonsense.

& Tavors and Steyr Augs are still OK. Got it. Springfield Hellion, too.

These people are f***ed in the head.
AUG is out. (Page 4, 4th from bottom)

AR-10 is okay, though (all patterns!). HK 416 is fine. As is the Sig MCX and the new SPEAR...

They don't know anything about the topic. This leaves holes we can drive a bus through. We should be grateful for their incompetence.

They forgot to add the minimum overall length requirements CT did after their revised sandy hook assault weapon ban. Those bullpups would be no gos unless you have a retardedly long pinned and welded barrel.
Umm...
(ii) A semiautomatic rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches;

Can still own a handgun though and that's their loophole I' m sure
You're not listening.

Heller said that requiring firearms to be stored such that they're inaccessible is unconstitutional.

MA safe storage laws (and CT's, apparently) directly contradict that decision. The CT law was written after Heller.

You're upset. We get that. We're not happy either. But this process takes time.

You're not listening.

Heller said that requiring firearms to be stored such that they're inaccessible is unconstitutional.

MA safe storage laws (and CT's, apparently) directly contradict that decision. The CT law was written after Heller.

You're upset. We get that. We're not happy either. But this process takes time.
Oh I get it but then why not ignore Heller all together? You think Maura likes the fact that handguns are sold at all, any kind? I'm playing devils advocate here for people that can't understand that just trying to understand the half-stepping they're doing. So they listen to SCOTUS a little bit before but it seems like now they don't and this is new territory

Back
Top Bottom