Was ready for an AK

SKS Ray

NES Member
I was ready to take the parts kit plunge and planned on ordering a Yugo fixed M70B1 with wood furniture, stamped for $109.97 but the place advertising them has sold out and isn't getting anymore in.[sad2]
They have Romanian kits but I can get Romanian AKs still fairly cheap, and wanted a Yugo because I heard great things about the quality of them, plus the price fit my budget, especially this time of year.
I'm also seeing Yugo RPK parts kist for cheap money. Don't know if those are sold out but they're listed as "Small parts may be missing". Anyone know if parts are interchangeable from AK kits to Yugo RPK kits?
Then theres the Virgin M70 stamped kits that have never been assembled. Complete lists for $299.97 which is way outa my price range right now, especially for a spur of the moment buy.[hmmm]

I was ready to take the parts kit plunge and planned on ordering a Yugo fixed M70B1 with wood furniture, stamped for $109.97 but the place advertising them has sold out and isn't getting anymore in.[sad2]

Expect to be seeing more of that in the months ahead (FWIW, I don't think it's a marketing or sales gimmick). There's a limited supply and unless the ban on the importation of barrels is lifted, the kits you're seeing now could be the last of them (at least at a reasonable price). There's a bill in Congress awaiting passage that would lift the ban, but unless it miraculously passes in the next couple of weeks, home building from parts kits is going to be expensive and more difficult (there are some US made barrels, but they're not cheap and it complicates the building process somewhat). Another thing that doesn't help matters are the hoarders and speculators that are buying up the kits as fast as they can.

As an example, decent (as in VG to excellent bores, complete kits, matching numbers), RPK, Dragnouv and FAL parts kits are either non-existent/tough to find or overpriced (prices for Krink kits are ridiculous).

They have Romanian kits but I can get Romanian AKs still fairly cheap, and wanted a Yugo because I heard great things about the quality of them, plus the price fit my budget, especially this time of year.
Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be short supply of Romy kits right now. I'm not that familiar with the Yugos, but to me an AK is an AK (minor cosmetic differences aside). When you say quality do you mean the firearm itself or the condition of the parts kits?
I'm also seeing Yugo RPK parts kits for cheap money. Don't know if those are sold out but they're listed as "Small parts may be missing". Anyone know if parts are interchangeable from AK kits to Yugo RPK kits?

I'm not certain, but probably not many (depending on the part).

The RPKs have different receivers and trunnions. I wouldn't mix and match bolt carriers/bolts/front trunnions unless it was a last resort and only if I had the tools and experience to deal with it (I don't myself).

Then theres the Virgin M70 stamped kits that have never been assembled. Complete lists for $299.97 which is way outa my price range right now, especially for a spur of the moment buy.[hmmm]

Try checking the "For Sale", "marketplace" sections of the various AK related forums. A lot of guys are looking to sell this time of year...

AKfiles
(Bocefus usually has some good deals going and is 100% top notch to deal with).

AKForum.net

GunCo

AK47.net/AR15.com

Back
Top Bottom