Was Crowley wrong ? - he gets sued

Quincy officer sues city, police chief
Timothy Kaes was accused of driving drunk but exonerated

Posted May 03, 2008 @ 07:00 AM

QUINCY —

A Quincy police officer accused of drunken driving and fired but ultimately cleared and reinstated has filed a civil rights suit against the city and police Chief Robert Crowley.

The suit filed Friday in U.S. District Court seeks unspecified monetary damages alleging Officer Timothy Kaes’ civil rights were violated.

It accuses Crowley of maliciously ordering a criminal proceeding against Kaes without probable cause, and alleges that his rights were violated when his vehicle was searched.

Kaes’ SUV hit a hydrant, a sign and another car before slamming the garage of a Wollaston home early on the morning of Sept. 27, 2005.

Kaes said later at an arbitration hearing that he crashed trying to avoid hitting a coyote while driving home from a friend’s house.

Officers who first investigated the incident did not seek drunken driving charges until Crowley intervened, and a clerk magistrate originally refused to file criminal charges, citing a lack of evidence.

Crowley made the rare move of asking Norfolk County District Attorney William Keating’s office to appeal the ruling to a judge, who later issued charges.

Kaes was cleared after a trial.

An arbitrator later found there was virtually no evidence that Kaes was drunk when he crashed, and that there had been no grounds to fire or even discipline him.

At the time, Kaes stood to be compensated for at least $120,000 for base salary he lost since being fired.

Chris Walker, spokesman for Mayor Thomas Koch, said the award was paid recently.

He said the mayor had not seen the suit and had no comment.

“I fully expected this. It comes as no surprise,” was all that Crowley had to say Friday.

Kaes sought a $500,000 settlement with the city in December, but his lawyer, Richard C. Bardi said there had been no response from either former Mayor William Phelan or Koch’s office.

The emotional stress that Crowley caused Kaes to suffer was “beyond all bounds of decency,” Bardi said.

“We are prepared to meet with representatives of the city and come to a compromise, but we are not going to be ignored,” he said.

Did Kaes get away with possible drunk driving , then milked the taxpayers ?

Officer received "special treatment" from responding "officer" ?

If the reading between the lines is pretty clear in this story then is seems that Crowley while hated...was doing his job. It might explain some of the internal hate against him for not allowing this to be covered up.

Kaes said later at an arbitration hearing that he crashed trying to avoid hitting a coyote while driving home from a friend’s house.

Coyote in Wollaston??? Come on now. I could see him saying that near the Milton line or even in Weymouth, but in Wollaston? Was the Coyote coming off the beach and running to the crab shack while double fisting two bud lights?

If the reading between the lines is pretty clear in this story then is seems that Crowley while hated...was doing his job. It might explain some of the internal hate against him for not allowing this to be covered up.

Coyote in Wollaston??? Come on now. I could see him saying that near the Milton line or even in Weymouth, but in Wollaston? Was the Coyote coming off the beach and running to the crab shack while double fisting two bud lights?

Clinotus,

Off topic but your avatar [rofl][laugh2][laugh][smile][puke2][puke]

From reading on the MassCops board, it seems that Crowley was a real asshat - like ORDERING a sergeant to allow a patrolman that the Chief KNEW had an expired DL to get his patrolcar out on the street before stopping him so he could arrest him. I'd suspect that the Chief was trying to BF the patrolman in this case, too.

Coyote in Wollaston??? Come on now. I could see him saying that near the Milton line or even in Weymouth, but in Wollaston?
You didn't hear about the coyote that they caught in the NORTH END this past winter? Dude, they're like rats - all over the place.

There are Coyotes everywhere, even in parts of Boston. They like to root through garbage and eat small pets. Both of which there are in abundance in Quincy. Wollaston also has well over 100 acres of wooded marshland not far from the beach. If you know the area, you know that the area runs from Fenno Street over to Furnace Brook Parkway and Quincy Shore Drive over to Southern Artery and even a bit beyond that up to behind Veteran's Stadium.

I can see a Coyote ranging down from the Blue Hills Reservation to that area very easily, especially at night.

Speaking of beaches, a Coyote was shot on Carson beach not that long ago. South Boston is far more urban than Wollaston.

Gary

I've seen coyotes running down the middle of my street in the middle of the day (we live in Wayland). I've seen coyotes in Weston and Wellesley also. A friend has seen them in Newton. And they've been spotted in Boston also.

Heck, a coyote wandered into a sandwich shop in the Loop in Chicago: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5179979

The Loop is downtown Chicago -- think Downtown Crossing.

Coyotes are everywhere.

If you are talking about the Marsh in Marina Bay possibly, maybe even Merrymount, but it would still have to have gone past the artery and over two sets of tracks to hit Wollaston itself from Blue Hills. Much easier food up there than behind the Chinese food places on Hancock.

Though I did see several deer in Weymouth so who knows. Story just sounds a bit fishy.

If you are talking about the Marsh in Marina Bay possibly, maybe even Merrymount, but it would still have to have gone past the artery and over two sets of tracks to hit Wollaston itself from Blue Hills. Much easier food up there than behind the Chinese food places on Hancock.

Though I did see several deer in Weymouth so who knows. Story just sounds a bit fishy.

If you know Quincy, you know exactly which marsh I'm talking about. The one in Squantum is even bigger, but no one would refer to that area as Wollaston. I've never thought of the marsh I was talking about as Merrymount, but it does go that far. A Coyote could range right down along Furnace Brook Parkway and stay in mostly wooded areas right to the marsh. It could easily go under the tracks.

Gary

From what I have been told the officer was perfectly sober, and that this appears to be the chief trying to jam up another officer who didn't like how the dept was being run.

From what I have been told the officer was perfectly sober, and that this appears to be the chief trying to jam up another officer who didn't like how the dept was being run.

The union president of the QPBA used to have a blog, but he suspended it when the new mayor took office and they had a meeting. Apparently the mayor asked that he suspend the blog and give the mayor a bit of time to work on the problems. That was shortly before Crowley announced his retirement.

Gary

This guy Crowley must have an ego the size of a blimp.He hates civilians,Cops and whoever question him I guess.I hope when he retires he gets paid back tenfold.

I saw a family of coyotes walking out of the marsh at the entrance of marina bay, so it's plausible.

I just don't get that chief.
how has he lasted so long, when everybody doesn't want him around?

Civil service? Just guessing ...

I don't know if chief in Quincy is still civil service. It might be a mayoral appointment, but I don't think so.

Disregard the above. The chief is still civil service. See the other Quincy PD chief thread.

Gary

Last edited:
A subject arrested for DUI in MA is told they may obtain a medically administered blood test at their own expense if they wish to contest the BAC machine. Charging someone for DUI at a later time, denying them the ability to know they are being charged at the time of the incident, and therefore denying the chance to gather contemporaneous exculpatory evidence just doesn't seem right.

I think this chief got what he deserved (a forced resignation).

Hopefully, it prevents him from landing a similar gig somewhere else.

I hope Crowley gets ten tons of crap when he applies for his carry permit.He should have to get a note from his Doctor and then get a permit for target practice only.

I hope Crowley gets ten tons of crap when he applies for his carry permit.He should have to get a note from his Doctor and then get a permit for target practice only.

Would be funny if another chief denies him as an unsuitable person. [laugh]

-Mike

I hate to see anyone denied their rights to self defense, but having him feel like I and many others had to feel in that Police Station would be such poetic justice.

Mayor or Chief ?

Is it Crowleys policy why they don't really issue LTC/ALP in Quincy or the Mayor ?

'cause when it comes to Boston issuing policy, everyone says its Mumbles ( Mayor Menino ) fault

I hate to see anyone denied their rights to self defense, but having him feel like I and many others had to feel in that Police Station would be such poetic justice.

As if. He's a retired chief. I don't know if he lives in Quincy or not, but if not chances are he knows the chief where he does live. It's unlikely he'll have any trouble getting an unrestricted LTC.

Gary

As if. He's a retired chief. I don't know if he lives in Quincy or not, but if not chances are he knows the chief where he does live. It's unlikely he'll have any trouble getting an unrestricted LTC.

Gary

I know. As a former officer hes likely first in line.

Nonetheless dont ruin the Fantasy Gary![smile]

Back
Top Bottom