Was at a restaurant, fellow was refused a beer with a valid LTC

smokey-seven

NES Member
Pissed me off to no extent! 3 ID's, one guy with no drivers license but multiple credit cards and a valid LTC in MA. Bartender was adamant. Boss overruled her but I went looking and cannot find a location that legally approves a MA LTC as a valid ID. Bartender was forceful that the ABC denies a LTC. Anyone have a cite?

I bought the 3 guys a round as I was leaving.

They are drones programmed to follow the restaurant's rules. The same reason they ask for my ID even though I'm old and have grey hair. I was out with my son and a MA bar wouldn't take is PA driver's license when he was 23.

Pissed me off to no extent! 3 ID's, one guy with no drivers license but multiple credit cards and a valid LTC in MA. Bartender was adamant. Boss overruled her but I went looking and cannot find a location that legally approves a MA LTC as a valid ID. Bartender was forceful that the ABC denies a LTC. Anyone have a cite?

So ....you say the boss overruled her....so in actuality......he got a beer with his ltc?

But as has been stated here already an ltc is not an approved ID for liquor purchase.

LTC is not valid for liquor ID in MA, it's treated as a professional license in the Commonwealth and not an official state ID.

This. We get this at the pharmacy from time to time with PSE products or people picking up controls and lose their minds. Though not usually as bad as people who have the paper temporary licenses that say on them in big bold letters not a valid form of identification.
Personally no excuse for the guy not to have his ID anyways given that he had multiple credit cards and his LTC. Edit: That's just inviting the man into your life with a $250-$500 fine if you were pulled over. While I agree it should be accepted as a form of ID it is not and therefore grinding against a place of business for it is a waste of time and emotions.
So ....you say the boss overruled her....so in actuality......he got a beer with his ltc?
This as well. Should be happy because as stated above it's not like this is unique to the bar and still most places wouldn't have accepted it. And as stated above with the guy inviting the man into his life potentially more, not checking the license correctly could have the same effect for the bar with inviting unwanted attention.
They are drones programmed to follow the restaurant's rules. The same reason they ask for my ID even though I'm old and have grey hair. I was out with my son and a MA bar wouldn't take is PA driver's license when he was 23.
I don't think programmed compliance (checking you even though clearly of age) to following the company rules is necessarily a bad thing because it keeps treatment (or supposed to) even across the board, but what they did with your son is a joke.

Last edited:
This. We get this at the pharmacy from time to time with PSE products or people picking up controls and lose their minds. Though not usually as bad as people who have the paper temporary licenses that say on them in big bold letters not a valid form of identification.
Personally no excuse for the guy not to have his ID anyways given that he had multiple credit cards and his LTC. While I agree it should be accepted as a form of ID it is not and therefore grinding against a place of business for it is a waste of time and emotions.

This as well. Should be happy because as stated above it's not like this is unique to the bar and still most places wouldn't have accepted it.
Seen these posts on NES before

The same guy that whips out his ltc at the cute bartender to show off that he may.....or may not.....be operator as f*** would come on NES and bitch that a nh gun store actually had the nerve to ask him for his ltc.

the liquor store i frequent has a sign posted saying they won't accept out of state licenses as id.

How old was the guy? I’ve found in my many long years that it’s usually the brand new LTC holder that tries to use it as ID in front of friends or hot women, in a vague, chest puffed attempt at gathering attention for his new found coolness.

the liquor store i frequent has a sign posted saying they won't accept out of state licenses as id.
I have seen that a bunch around Northampton & especially in Amherst given the number of students and out of state people around there. Especially given the towns putting the blame on the business if the person looks of age & having what looks like a valid ID whether it be in state or out. Out of state obviously being worse for them.

How old was the guy? I’ve found in my many long years that it’s usually the brand new LTC holder that tries to use it as ID in front of friends or hot women, in a vague, chest puffed attempt at gathering attention for his new found coolness.
Op said he didn't have his drover license on him in this case. But yeah......I've actually been put with an acquaintance that was in the habit of whipping out his ltc here and there even though he had a driver license in his wallet. So f***ing stupid.

I've used my LTC at a bar (pulled out wrong ID), actually turned into an interesting conversation with the bartender who happened to be very Pro-2A.
My "opinion" is that if there is a birth date on it, and it's a legal ID in mass for ANYTHING, it should be valid. Kind of silly it isn't

I had a bank refuse to accept an ltc as a 2nd form of ID after a driver's license. Their "policy". A credit card without picture or dob was fine. The ltc with both was not.

I've used my LTC at a bar (pulled out wrong ID), actually turned into an interesting conversation with the bartender who happened to be very Pro-2A.
My "opinion" is that if there is a birth date on it, and it's a legal ID in mass for ANYTHING, it should be valid. Kind of silly it isn't

I think it’s kind of silly that anybody would try to use it as an ID especially while drinking in a bar. Not only are you flagging yourself as possibly being armed to the bartender/manager etc, who will then be watching everything you do and taking note of every beer you drink looking for signs of intoxication or aggressiveness to other patrons, but you’ll most likely be flagging yourself to several other people around you while you argue with said bartender that your LTC should be an acceptable form of ID.

Opinions vary, but to me it’s just plain dumb to give away all of that information to a bunch of strangers who’re also drinking. I tend to hang out in some pretty shady biker/dive bars, and that is not the type of thing I’d want in the open, no matter what establishment I frequent. My life, my legal standing, financial standing, to me it puts all of that at risk.

Going to go out on a limb here, but; a guy without a driver's license but with multiple credit cards and a LTC is likely to be on conditions that prohibit the consumption of said beer. May not want to violate those conditions or else the driver's license won't be the only license lost.

it's a valid, state issued photo ID. They should not be allowed to refuse it.

I think it’s kind of silly that anybody would try to use it as an ID especially while drinking in a bar. Not only are you flagging yourself as possibly being armed to the bartender/manager etc, who will then be watching everything you do and taking note of every beer you drink looking for signs of intoxication or aggressiveness to other patrons, but you’ll most likely be flagging yourself to several other people around you while you argue with said bartender that your LTC should be an acceptable form of ID.

Opinions vary, but to me it’s just plain dumb to give away all of that information to a bunch of strangers who’re also drinking. I tend to hang out in some pretty shady biker/dive bars, and that is not the type of thing I’d want in the open, no matter what establishment I frequent. My life, my legal standing, financial standing, to me it puts all of that at risk.
I’m pretty sure the fact that I start every trip to the bar by placing my firearm on the counter and challenging everyone to a gunfight at the OK Corral is a lot more of a flag than my LTC.

I’m pretty sure the fact that I start every trip to the bar by placing my firearm on the counter and challenging everyone to a gunfight at the OK Corral is a lot more of a flag than my LTC.

I understand your sarcasm and lol’d it, I’d enjoy a world like that, but in Mass mindset/culture this is pretty much what you’re doing by trying to use an LTC there.

Donalan's Markets cards everyone. If you were 100 years old you are getting carded.

Costco or BJ's, I forget which one enters your DOB for beer and wine. Some clerks just make one up or use their own but others do ask for it.

C.N. Brown gas stations in Maine also ask even if you are 100 years old.

But like the others here... WTF carries 3 charge cards and a LTC without having their DL? That's just dumb.

When I first moved up here, I had more than one liquor store refuse to accept my PA driver's license. Never had a bar refuse me, though.

When I first moved up here, I had more than one liquor store refuse to accept my PA driver's license. Never had a bar refuse me, though.
When I first moved up here I had a place that initially wouldn't accept my VA driver's license and my military ID.

Back
Top Bottom