• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Was at a restaurant, fellow was refused a beer with a valid LTC

I accidentally pulled out my LTC at Rite-Aid pharmacy instead of DL. Pharmacist looked at it all puzzled. Then I realized I gave him the wrong one.. no big deal, but the look was priceless..

I accidentally booked a hotel using the "Government Rate". My brother assured me that he's never been asked for a gov ID when checking in. Sure enough, the clerk asked for my government ID. I handed her my pilot certificate. She looked at it, handed it back, and checked me in.

US_pilots_certificate_front.jpg

BLAME the Communistwealth, not the bar or bartender.
The bartender is just doing his/her job.
It's the high price of the liquor license, the frequent state stings, and fines and penalties if caught is why they are so cautious.

All you that graduated from UMass Amherst in the 80's and 90's remember the downtown bar Time Out ? It was a state agent that had it out for them that single-handedly put them out of business.

It's the high price of the liquor license, the frequent state stings, and fines and penalties if caught is why they are so cautious.

All you that graduated from UMass Amherst in the 80's and 90's remember the downtown bar Time Out ? It was a state agent that had it out for them that single-handedly put them out of business.
Completely agreed.

And the best part is the ops buddy still got a beer anyway.

Drink elsewhere. Not a valid firm if ID according to anyone who decides not to serve them.

Personally, I would never do that. No need to give out my address to anyone who might want gunz.

YMMV.

Last edited:
why not? I've almost done that by accident also but wouldn't care if I did.
Do you think TSA is going to get on the radio and call the state police over or something?
Calm down frodo. Your taking this to another level of crazyt it was not meant to go.

I was curious as to why someone would use their ltc at the airport.

Accidentally is one reason.

Chillax

Take this to the bank, the ONLY ID a MA licensed establishment can take is an ORIGINAL MA Drivers license or a MA issued Liquor ID card.

If they take anything else, and there is trouble, they have no legal leg to stand on with the A.B.C.C.

They are free to take any ID they want, or not to ask for one at all, but they are open for exposure.

When the Ex's daughter came home on leave, ACTIVE DUTY U.S.M.C. she was refused a drink at a family dinner at The Chateau in Andover, and there was no convincing them otherwise.

If you are friends with a liquor store owner or a bar manager, ask them to see the Mass. Beverage Journal and read the ABCC actions.

Things like the MSP showing up at the dock at a members only boat club, heading to the bar and getting served..... oops violation of your license serving to the general public. They do the same sh*t at VFW's and other private establishments.

IIRC, the forms of ID that absolve the establishment from any wrongdoing if an underage person gets served are MA Drivers License, MA Liquor ID, Passport, Passport Card and Military ID. Some places may accept other forms of ID, such as an out of state drivers license, but it doesn't offer them any protection if it's a fake and the person is underage.

Take this to the bank, the ONLY ID a MA licensed establishment can take is an ORIGINAL MA Drivers license or a MA issued Liquor ID card.

If they take anything else, and there is trouble, they have no legal leg to stand on with the A.B.C.C.

They are free to take any ID they want, or not to ask for one at all, but they are open for exposure.

When the Ex's daughter came home on leave, ACTIVE DUTY U.S.M.C. she was refused a drink at a family dinner at The Chateau in Andover, and there was no convincing them otherwise.

If you are friends with a liquor store owner or a bar manager, ask them to see the Mass. Beverage Journal and read the ABCC actions.

Things like the MSP showing up at the dock at a members only boat club, heading to the bar and getting served..... oops violation of your license serving to the general public. They do the same sh*t at VFW's and other private establishments.

True. Any TIPS certified person could tell you so.y

As for MA LTC as ID at the airport, I did that once with some skinny woman with a cloth on her head who barely spoke English yet the TSA saw fit to employ her.

She looked at it with a confused look on her face and asked, "Don't you have a drivers' license?"

I replied, "I'm flying. Not driving."

She was even more confused. Hilarity ensued. I walked off and caught my flight.

Pissed me off to no extent! 3 ID's, one guy with no drivers license but multiple credit cards and a valid LTC in MA. Bartender was adamant. Boss overruled her but I went looking and cannot find a location that legally approves a MA LTC as a valid ID. Bartender was forceful that the ABC denies a LTC. Anyone have a cite?

I bought the 3 guys a round as I was leaving.

Its not I remember I tried to buy smokes with mine one time. At a 7/11 i went to all the time. Nope not valid

My vfw lost its liquor license because of this..... serving to the public. Well......that and the bar tender was selling cocaine but that's another story.

It’s not a MA issued ID. It’s issued at the discretion of local law enforcement so I can’t imagine it counting for purchases where a state issued ID is required.

That and the whole lack of security features and such.

In a separate, but similar WTF moment, my wife and I went to have dinner in the Seaport last night. We’re both late 30s/early 40s, but the place was checking everyone’s IDs. College aged to grandparents. My LTC was just behind my license, and kind of came out a bit. Guy looked at it, asked what it was, and then asked if I was carrying at that moment. That caught me off guard a bit. Good holsters are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited:
Pissed me off to no extent! 3 ID's, one guy with no drivers license but multiple credit cards and a valid LTC in MA. Bartender was adamant. Boss overruled her but I went looking and cannot find a location that legally approves a MA LTC as a valid ID. Bartender was forceful that the ABC denies a LTC. Anyone have a cite?

I bought the 3 guys a round as I was leaving.

There's a f***ey thing under MGL that liquor vendors don't get certain protections in the law if they accept something that's not on the list of acceptable IDs. EG, if you were a liquor vendor and there was a really good fake MA DL and you accepted it, you'd be "covered" legally, but not if it was an LTC.

I'm of the mind that card should generally never be seen by anyone other than a gun dealer or a police officer in a justified context.

Also think about how retarded it is- you basically are showing a people a card that says:

"HEY I OWN GUNS AND THIS IS WHERE I LIVE AND STORE THEM!!!!"

There's not too many people I'd want to show that to, willingly.

-Mike

In a separate, but similar WTF moment, my wife and I went to have dinner in the Seaport last night. We’re both late 30s/early 40s, but the place was checking everyone’s IDs. College aged to grandparents. My LTC was just behind my license, and kind of came out a bit. Guy looked at it, asked what it was, and then asked if I was carrying at that moment. That caught me off guard a bit. Good holsters are worth their weight in gold.

I always have mine tucked on the other side of the wallet so this doesn't happen.

-Mike

I always have mine tucked on the other side of the wallet so this doesn't happen.

-Mike

I usually do too, but I had to show it when I picked up my P365 and just put it away quickly. Definitely on me for that error.

Close: The Military ID is acceptable, as is a US or Foreign Passport, per MGLs:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter138/Section34B

Any licensee, or agent or employee thereof, under this chapter who reasonably relies on such a liquor purchase identification card or motor vehicle license issued pursuant to section eight of chapter ninety, or on an identification card issued under section 8E of chapter 90, or on a valid passport issued by the United States government, or by the government, recognized by the United States government, of a foreign country, or a valid United States issued military identification card, for proof of a person's identity and age...

That said, their bar their rules. Kinda. .Mil isn't a protected class....

It’s not a MA issued ID. It’s issued at the discretion of local law enforcement so I can’t imagine it counting for purchases where a state issued ID is required.

That and the whole lack of security features and such.

You said it caught you off guard.....but what was your answer?

All you that graduated from UMass Amherst in the 80's and 90's remember the downtown bar Time Out ? It was a state agent that had it out for them that single-handedly put them out of business.[/QUOTE]

No, if they didnt serve minors continously they would prob still be in business

Kinda funny story about a bouncer taking my military ID from me one night while on leave. I had no drivers license at the time (except a .mil one) and my MA Lic was long expired.

Anyway, I’m on block leave and called a few people to meet me for drinks at the Chateau Dudley in Wayland, a place I was pretty familiar with and comfortable there.

After already drinking for about 2 hours, the bouncer, some biker dude, tall, skinny, all tatted up with a long ponytail, sleeveless jean shirt and earrings comes over to the table and asks only me if I have any ID. Now we’re all only about 23-24 years old and looked pretty young, but only I was asked for some reason. We weren’t being overly loud, obnoxious or killing shots and I am just by personality a pretty quiet person anyway, so it was pretty chill just talking as we sat at a table.

All I had on me was my .mil ID, so I said sure and handed it to him while I was still seated. He looked at it, looked at me, looked at it again, and then said “this is fake, you’re not getting it back and you need to leave.”

Kind of surprised by this, I said well no it’s not fake and if there’s a problem go ask the bartender, he knows me. Peter (bartender) was a Vietnam Veteran Marine and all around very cool guy I had known for several years.

Bouncer says, look kid, I’m not asking anybody anything, you need to f***ing leave and I’m keeping the ID.

Things went south quickly and 30 seconds later I had knocked over my chair and 2 tables getting to this MF, had my right hand around his throat while bending him over backwards on the railing above the staircase, and retrieved my ID from his shirt pocket before Peter came running over yelling my name and slapping my back a few times trying to stop me from killing this a-hole.

Being a reasonable person I let him go without dumping him over the railing and explained to Pete what had happened, he said Jesus I’m so sorry ‘cams’, next round is on me brother, everybody go sit down and I’ll bring fresh drinks. He then looked at the bouncer and said, you, you’re f***ing done, I’m sick of your shit, get the f*** out of here before I let them all drag you out.

Not sure what the guy was going to do with the ID but by the looks of him it involved something shady and most likely illegal, and no way in hell was I going to have to explain to my platoon Sgt that I let some scumbag steal my ID from me, we all can agree that that would be an unacceptable offense of which I would’ve been smoked for weeks and lost all respect.

Anyway, just another in a long list of (funny?) wtf moments. The term “shit magnet” should be my middle name.

Last edited:
The only "security feature" on a LTC is the PIN # that you enter when using it to purchase a fire arm. One of these days the libtards will insist that we enter a PIN to buy a six pack of beer LOL. Can't wait.

It's mostly because it makes it easier for the owner to consistently get employees to check IDs if the policy is "consistent and relentless, no exceptions". Makes it more
difficult for them to get whacked because everything is checked out of habit, every time.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom