• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Warning to travelers

nstassel

NES Member
Twice in the past few months I've become involved in cases that have a very ominous implication. I'm actually shocked.

In both of these cases US citizens returned to the country from overseas travel and were detained by DHS. Their phones were seized and searched. In both cases "extremist" content was allegedly detected and state and federal investigations commenced.

The DHS has incredible authority over persons entering the US. I'm sure both of these people were on the fed radar and they were waiting for them to come back so it's not random. But it really makes you realize the electronic web we're living under.

Last edited:
You don’t have to answer this but….how did they search thier phones? Did they give them consent? Very scary indeed…They weren’t wearing MAGA hats were they🤔😂

Pro-tip: buy a cheap burner-like phone for international travel. Add only the bare minimum apps for efficient foreign travel and emergency contacts.

But I have recommended that in the past to people in my industries because of espionage and/or seizure abroad. I never thought it would be needed for entrance back into the states.

Disturbing

I realize the legal system is slow, but it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide further details when/if it becomes possible to do so.

Pro-tip: buy a cheap burner-like phone for international travel. Add only the bare minimum apps for efficient foreign travel and emergency contacts.

But I have recommended that in the past to people in my industries because of espionage and/or seizure abroad. I never thought it would be needed for entrance back into the states.

Disturbing

I realize the legal system is slow, but it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide further details when/if it becomes possible to do so.
I just watch my extremist content on my wife's phone. Problem solved

Twice in the past few months I've become involved in cases that have a very ominous implication. I'm actually shocked.

In both of these cases US citizens returned to the country from overseas travel were detained by DHS. Their phones are seized and searched. In both cases "extremist" content was allegedly detected and state and federal investigations commenced.

The DHS has incredible authority over persons entering the US. I'm sure both of these people were on the fed radar and they were waiting for them to come back so it's not random. But it really makes you realize the electronic web we're living under.
do they still use patriot act for this, or is there something new now to unleash it upon people without a warrant?

In both of these cases US citizens returned to the country from overseas travel were detained by DHS. Their phones are seized and searched. In both cases "extremist" content was allegedly detected and state and federal investigations commenced.
Being "on the fed radar", no doubt even if they had arrived with entirely blank factory-sealed iPhones, DHS would've still "detected extremist content" if they really wanted to.

No consent asked for or given. I'm not sure about passwords though.
That's doubtful. Telling the nice DHS lady your phone password is implicit consent.
ACLU said:
"For a US citizen, CBP essentially has to let them back into the country," Nathan Freed Wessler, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, told Ars. "They can't be detained indefinitely for refusing to provide a password. They may be detained for hours and they may seize the phone for weeks or months while [CBP tries] to break into it."
All modern phones (and tablets) default to device-level encryption and require not just a fingerprint but an actual passcode/password to unlock after a reboot. How big a target had these travelers painted on their own back that they are worth this kind of effort?

Last edited:
Don't cops sometimes even press your finger on your phone to unlock it or use face unlock? Pretty important to not use face unlock or register fingerprints on your phone and have it auto wipe after ten unsuccessful password tries. Then again, doesn't American 3 letter agencies and even local police have access to hardware that gets into your phone easily ASAP anyway?

Being "on the fed radar", no doubt even if they had arrived with entirely blank factory-sealed iPhones and DHS would've still "detected extremist content" if they really wanted to.
they do not need to open up phones - they collect data on their own. it is old news, interesting to know that they are enforcing it now.
dhs turns itself into a judge and executioner, just like kgb was.

plus i bet apple gladly opens up phones of domestic terrorists, it is real terrorists who's rights to privacy apple honors.

Don't cops sometimes even press your finger on your phone to unlock it or use face unlock? Pretty important to not use face unlock or register fingerprints on your phone and have it auto wipe after ten unsuccessful password tries. Then again, doesn't American 3 letter agencies and even local police have access to hardware that gets into your phone easily ASAP anyway?
If you click the power button on the side 3-4 times quickly it locks the phone so the face thing doesn’t work. Fingerprint either. Might also dial 911, but that’s their problem.

they do not need to open up phones - they collect data on their own. it is old news, interesting to know that they are enforcing it now.
dhs turns itself into a judge and executioner, just like kgb was.
OP's story was simply that "state and federal investigations commenced", didn't say DHS kept the phone in custody, much less the person.
plus i bet apple gladly opens up phones of domestic terrorists, it is real terrorists who's rights to privacy apple honors.
Only if said domestics lean to the right.

The feds did not have the tech to get past an apple pass code. They paid some tech nerd a couple million bucks to get into the Boston bomber phones but I don’t believe the kid gave them the secret to how he did it.

That was years ago so by now they may have figured it out ( I assume they can now get right in).

Cops should not be doing that, they need a warrant. They can secure it inside of a Farraday bag, but no searchy searchy. The feds might have the ability to access Apple encryption, albeit probably illegally, but I doubt local LE has that capability unless they employ some high level computer geeks.

were on the fed radar and they were waiting for them to come back so it's not random. But it really makes you realize the electronic web we're living under.
There are a couple of other things that it shines a light on.
The links between big tech, telecom and the .gov are stronger than most would likely imagine.
They certainly see things that are suspicious by people on the other side of the aisle as well. How they deal with them speaks volumes.

Press the button 5 times on the iPhone and it disables Face ID. It will require the passcode.

Back
Top Bottom