Want to try Trap Shooting

I want to try trap shooting but I'm not sure how to get started. I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. I've seen some local gun clubs that are open to the public but I don't own a shotgun and I don't know anyone who does. Do any clubs provide them? Do I need to buy ammo before I go or can I buy it at the club? Do I need to go with someone who knows what they're doing? Is there anything else I need to know before I go? I live in Boston so I'd appreciate it if anyone can make a recommendation of a nearby club that makes it easy on a first-timer who doesn't know anything. Thanks.

1. Welcome aboard!
2. My club (Cumberland Beagle Club, RI) has trap every Sunday that is open to the public. The cost is $3.50 per round and you must bring your own gun or borrow a friends. We have ammo available at the club, don't quote me on this but I believe it is $7.00 a box.
3. Trap is great fun! I've been shooting consistently since spring time, and I am shooting about 19-21 out of 25.

I can't help with clubs closer to Boston, but I went to Westford Sportsmen's club with a case of target loads and said I was interested in trap but didn't have a shotgun. One of the shooters offered me his gun for a few rounds. I was hooked and went out and bought a shotgun. [grin]

I shoot skeet in Hopkinton on Sundays (I'm not very good, but boy is it fun). It you would like to join the fun one morning let me know, it's open to the public, but with a heads up, I'll bring an extra shotgun.

you can buy ammo at the club (but I'll ever spot you the first couple rounds just to get you hooked)

Mass Rifle in Woburn has trap Wednesday nights from 6-8:30. Its $8 for 25 shells and 25 clays and they have a club gun you can use.

What is a good shotgun to get for trap? I have tried it a few times with borrowed shotguns and have wanted to do some more. Any pointers on what a good shotgun is to get would help.

Are there any online guides as to what to look for?

What is a good shotgun to get for trap? I have tried it a few times with borrowed shotguns and have wanted to do some more. Any pointers on what a good shotgun is to get would help.

Are there any online guides as to what to look for?

IMO there is no one shotgun that's good for trap. Like other types of guns, it's what works best for you. If it don't fit, you wont hit!

I have both a Pump and a O/U. I am shooting about the same score with both. I see guys with 5k shotguns hit 15 and guys with $300 shot guns break 25. Practice, fit, and practice.

Riverside shoots Tuesday and Thursday under the lights and Sunday Mornings.

Non-toxic shot is available for purchase at the range (for use at the range only) We buy it in tractor trailer lots, and offer it slightly above cost (so that we can order the next batch which is generally slightly higher)

There is always a loaner gun around. Just show up, introduce yourself and someone will take care of you.

More info: http://www.riversidegc.org/trapskeet/skeet.htm

I forget the current prices, but a round of 25 shots is about $10 with ammo.

Braintree R&P has trap on Sundays after 12Noon, open to the public.
http://www.brp.org/Activities/Trap/tabid/303/Default.aspx

If you bring a few boxes of 7-1/2 12 ga shot, I am certain someone will let you borrow their shotgun to try it out.

I've been a club member for 10 years but never shot trap there, however this is my understanding.

Andover Sportsmens club as well, open to the public from 9am to noon on Sundays. Like LenS said, bring some #7-1/2 12ga and someone will most likely let you use their shotgun.

We shoot on Wednesday nights too but I am not sure if it is open to the public.

I want to try trap shooting but I'm not sure how to get started. I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. I've seen some local gun clubs that are open to the public but I don't own a shotgun and I don't know anyone who does. Do any clubs provide them? Do I need to buy ammo before I go or can I buy it at the club? Do I need to go with someone who knows what they're doing? Is there anything else I need to know before I go? I live in Boston so I'd appreciate it if anyone can make a recommendation of a nearby club that makes it easy on a first-timer who doesn't know anything. Thanks.

Come on down to Mass Rifle. It is about 15 min outside of Boston.

http://www.massrifle.com/

They have a club gun and some good people running the fields that can walk you right through the process. You will have a great time.

As stated the trap field opens around 5:30 - 6 and has to shut down at 8:30 on Wed night. 8.00$ for 25 shells & clays

Sunday 10am Sporting clays. We have been getting some big crowds and it is taking about 3 hrs to get through 50 shots. (It is prefered that you come on a Wed night prior to coming to a Sunday AM as range officers can get to know you and make sure everyone is safe. 20.00$ for 50 shells and clays

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: Steel only is shot at Mass Rifle and is only stocked in 12 and 20 ga. Thanks

Calsdad,

There are shotguns designed for trap, they have a high rib, but trap can be shot with just about any shotgun.

Before you purchase a shotgun you want to make sure you buy the one that best suits your needs. If all you intend to shoot is trap, then a trap gun is the way to go. If you think you might like to shoot double trap, skeet, or Sporting clays a single shot trap gun will not be good for these games as 2 shots are required. Most shoot several types of clay games and go with sporting/field O/U or Semi-auto shotguns. If you are near folks who don't mind you shooting there guns then keep trying them until you find one that fits you well and you like.

I shot trap in Danbury Ct last year for the first time.

$5 round

2 3/4 shells 7.5

A good cheap shotgun. Remington wingmaster 28" mod choke
First 4 rounds shot 89 for 100 first time ever.

Hooked!!!!!

What LenS said is true.If you want p.m. me and I will take you to the BRP club anytime and you can use my shotgun.I go there on sundays and shoot sometimes but I wouldnt advise you to go there by yourself.When I first went on sunday I felt kinda wierd because I didnt know anyone and the shooters up there are very good!!!Dont get me wrong they are a great bunch of guys but like I said they are goooood!!! I had never shot trap before and I just watched and learned how and what to do.They asked me if I wanted to try it and one gentleman even said I could use his gun but I declined as I didnt want to make a fool out of myself by not hitting anything but thats just me.I did notice a machine that was covered up and asked about it and was told any member could use it as long he was shown how to use it safely by a range officer.So the next day I went into the club and asked about it and a R.O. showed me how to use it and that was that.I go about 2-3 times a week with my 2 girls and they load and shoot the clays and all you will have to do is yell "pull".As far as the shotgun is concerned I dont have a good one.Mine is very old and gives a good punch on your shoulder but I dont really go that often to spend the money on a good shotgun.Its a very cheap way to shoot "clays are about 7-8 bucks for 90 I think" and ammo is cheap.I have gotton to the point where I can shoot 15 to 20 out of 25 witch isnt that bad for a beginner and would have no problem going on sunday and shooting in front of the guys that are really good.So if you would be interested in shooting "anytime just p.m. me and I will take you there and show you the club ad we will shoot.Its one of the best clubs around and there are alot of nice people there.There is a rule that you can only shoot clays during daytime hours.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to Mass Rifle in Woburn tonight. It was on the way home for work. I had a lot of fun. So thanks for the info and also thanks to anyone who offered to let me use their guns.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to Mass Rifle in Woburn tonight. It was on the way home for work. I had a lot of fun. So thanks for the info and also thanks to anyone who offered to let me use their guns.

Glad you had fun, Try a Sunday AM as well.
Sporting clays is completely different but I find it more interesting. Hope you will come again they run the field all winter long.

I did not get a chance to see you shoot how did you do? I think I saw you bust a few.

I have both a Pump and a O/U. I am shooting about the same score with both. I see guys with 5k shotguns hit 15 and guys with $300 shot guns break 25. Practice, fit, and practice.

+1

I had a $200 Norinko shotgun that would crush clays I sold it and bought several diffrent kinds of shotguns all of which don't even come close.

FWIW.. I'd highly reccomend Riverside. They are great group of guys and would make you feel right at home. Many of the shooters are very very good and will give you fantastic advice on the how tos.

I'd offer to meet you there and let you use my gun. But it's too friggin cold for me to be out there...

And as mentioned above, ammo is available on site. So no need to stop anywhere along the way or try toguess at how much you will need..

Trap is terrific fun! Best way to get started is to do what you're doing. Get to know some of us here and plan to attend a shoot.

I'm a member of the Nimrod League of Holden, located on Coal Kiln Rd. in Princeton. It's out in the sticks about an hour from Boston, but it's a friendly club with great facilities.

We shoot trap every Thursday night from 1800-2100 (though with the Pats on tonight there won't be much turnout). I can't make it tonight either. We typically have 10 or so members there each week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Some guys shoot trap guns that are worth more than my truck, some shoot inexpensive guns. Next week I'm bringing out the old Remington 870 - a real cheapo - just to see how it shoots and also because my regular trap gun is a single shooter. I want to hit up the skeet range for a slice of humble pie.

At most clubs there is typically a fee for each squad you shoot. We charge $3.00 - basically to cover the cost of the clays and the equipment. So if you shoot 5 squads in a session you'll need $15 cash.

doh! just saw that you've already been out there. Good for you, OP!

I've had the short barrel on my 870 for years... it was relegated to the home defense role when I got my "real" trap gun. gotta blow the dust off the bird barrel for a change. Looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom