• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wal-mart sucks

so i go into wal-mart tonight to buy some 22LR, the lady rings me up at the register and tells me that "i cant but this ammo i need to be 21" i say to her that it's 22lr and for a RIFLE!!!!!!!!.

she says she cant sell any 22lr to me because im not 21 so i ended up saying thank you and getting a bit pissed off!!! and correct me if i wrong cant 22LR be sold to a FID holder?. needless to say i will never be going to wal mart never again to buy any ammo EVER!!

Last edited:
so i go into wal-mart tonight to buy some 22LR, the lady rigs me up at the register and tells me that "i cant but this ammo i need to be 21" i say to her that it's 22lr and for a RIFLE!!!!!!!!.

she says she cant sell any 22lr to me because im not 21 so i ended up saying thank you and getting a bit pissed off!!! and correct me if i wrong cant 22LR be sold to a FID holder?. needless to say i will never be going to wal mart never again to buy any ammo EVER!!

That is exactly why I don't give any of my business to Wal-Mart. And if for some strange reason I did, gun related items would be the last thing I considered purchasing from there. I've only bought ammo from their store one time, and had a similar experience. I had to argue with the guy for a half hour, and speak to 2 supervisors before they would sell to me.

They also refused to give me a hunting license before I got my LTC. I brought in a copy of my previous year's license, which is acceptable proof of eligibility, and they denied me. I went down the road and got it from a bait shop, and haven't been back since.

Maybe someone needs to send a letter to Walmart's corporate legal/compliance department explaining the laws in these matters. Seems like a lot of senseless aggrivation, and lost sales too.

After watching the documentary on Wal-Mart I will never step foot in one of the stores ever again.

so i go into wal-mart tonight to buy some 22LR, the lady rings me up at the register and tells me that "i cant but this ammo i need to be 21" i say to her that it's 22lr and for a RIFLE!!!!!!!!.

Evan, call the manager and complain. I had some brain-dead assistant manager wait on me at the Hudson Walmart, then refuse to sell me the ammo because I handed her an LTC... and the stupid software on the register says "Check FID?". When I explained to this in-duh-vidual that an LTC was just as good in terms of buying ammo, she fed me the Nuremburg defense: "We just had a seminar about how we're not following the instructions on the screen, so I need to see an FID".

I asked to speak to the manager. "Oh, she's on vacation until next week".

That Monday, the manager got a call from me. Upshot? She had a "talk" with the assistant... and I've never had a problem since when buying ammo with my LTC. (Hell, I don't even HAVE an FID!)

Im sure its better safe than sorry for them. I doubt they care about ammosales issues considering they all but eliminated it from their stores.

the worst part about it is that she KNEW i could buy it with a FID because she has a LTC and carrys, it sounds like the probem is nazi store polcies and ignorant store managers.

Maybe someone needs to send a letter to Walmart's corporate legal/compliance department explaining the laws in these matters. Seems like a lot of senseless aggrivation, and lost sales too.
Most of the Wal-Marts that I've done business with have been basically pretty good. Although several years ago, after the problem they had in California, one store wouldn’t sell me ammunition because I had a LTC-A and didn’t have an FID card. I have a tendency to find humor in those situations others don't.

Most Wal-Marts are good enough and I know one guy in Walpole who’s very good. Of course he’s a shooter.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I had some brain-dead assistant manager wait on me at the Hudson Walmart, then refuse to sell me the ammo because I handed her an LTC... and the stupid software on the register says "Check FID?". When I explained to this in-duh-vidual that an LTC was just as good in terms of buying ammo, she fed me the Nuremburg defense: "We just had a seminar about how we're not following the instructions on the screen, so I need to see an FID".

I wonder what would have happened if you handed her the LTC and said, "here's my FID".

I once had to produce an FID to buy a Red Ryder BB gun in Worcester, for my 6 yo son. And I had to sign an affidavit promising to secure it at home with a trigger lock. That was 12 years ago. I forget what store it was ... in the Galleria. Still have the BB gun .... use it for plinking .... squirrels.

The remaining ones selling ammo are thinning out what they carry. Wal Mart is on a slow path to eventually selling none of these items. They are luring non-gun owners more aggressively. Competition still on average makes it easier to select and pay for ammo than Wal Mart. Never mind that 1/3 of stores stopped selling guns.

Dana

I walk into a Walmart tell them what I want, pay in cash and walk out. Don't know what everyone else's problem is.... I only had problems buying at the Salem, NH one...

Ross, I drove a guy up there nuts when I gave him my NH permit. He asked me for my MA FID and I refused to provide it (LTC) . . . I told him "I'm in NH so all you get is a NH permit!" Nothing says that I have to bring the ammo back to MA, I could very easily be shooting it in NH. Finally he gave in. Funny thing is that he had sold me ammo there before and had never bitched about being shown the NH permit. This happened a few years ago.

so i go into wal-mart tonight to buy some 22LR, the lady rings me up at the register and tells me that "i cant but this ammo i need to be 21" i say to her that it's 22lr and for a RIFLE!!!!!!!!

There is no law that says an FID holder cannot purchase handgun caliber ammunition. However, there are a few laws that Walmart might be trying to enforce regarding sale of ammunition to someone under 21.

C 140 S 123 says that no MA licensed dealer can sell ammunition to a minor. There is some question in my mind here as to whether they mean 18 or 21 as the cut off age. But then I don't even know if Walmart is a MA licensed dealer anymore since they no longer sell guns here.

But there is another law, C 140 S 130, that says that nobody (except a parent or guardian) may sell or furnish ammunition for a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun to anyone under the age of 21. This law, if interpreted liberally, basically rules out selling a lot of common ammunition, including 22lr, as most of it can be used in a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun. If interpreted conservatively, as long as you ask the buyer and they say it's not for a firearm or large capacity rifle/shotgun and you have no reason to doubt them, the sale should be legal. I suspect it is this law that Walmart is trying to follow, and they are interpreting it liberally.

This is just like "Dicks" asking what type of gun your shooting your ammo in. If you tell them a handgun you need to show them an LTC. At least in the Natick store.[rolleyes]

Do you all think that the people they hire at walmalt are going to be versed in the firearms laws of this, of this or any state?

Gimme (or is the gemme [wink]) a break guys.

Years back before my Class A, I went to get 9MM at Walmart to be told I could not buy it since it was "hand gun ammo" I told him that it was for a Marlin rifle... at which time he said they do not make rifles that take 9MM.. I turned around left and bought at another store... In fact out of state also... I will only buy ammo at walmart if I see a good deal, other then that, in my view the people who work that area do not know salt water hooks from fresh water hooks.. never mind ammunition!

That is exactly why I don't give any of my business to Wal-Mart. And if for some strange reason I did, gun related items would be the last thing I considered purchasing from there. I've only bought ammo from their store one time, and had a similar experience. I had to argue with the guy for a half hour, and speak to 2 supervisors before they would sell to me.

They also refused to give me a hunting license before I got my LTC. I brought in a copy of my previous year's license, which is acceptable proof of eligibility, and they denied me. I went down the road and got it from a bait shop, and haven't been back since.

They also caved in to Bloombergs gun control agenda...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24114145

Coincidently... right around the rime this deal was made, Wally World had been applying for the permits to open a NYC store (they had been told to f***-off previously).

There is no law that says an FID holder cannot purchase handgun caliber ammunition. However, there are a few laws that Walmart might be trying to enforce regarding sale of ammunition to someone under 21.

C 140 S 123 says that no MA licensed dealer can sell ammunition to a minor. There is some question in my mind here as to whether they mean 18 or 21 as the cut off age. But then I don't even know if Walmart is a MA licensed dealer anymore since they no longer sell guns here.

But there is another law, C 140 S 130, that says that nobody (except a parent or guardian) may sell or furnish ammunition for a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun to anyone under the age of 21. This law, if interpreted liberally, basically rules out selling a lot of common ammunition, including 22lr, as most of it can be used in a firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun. If interpreted conservatively, as long as you ask the buyer and they say it's not for a firearm or large capacity rifle/shotgun and you have no reason to doubt them, the sale should be legal. I suspect it is this law that Walmart is trying to follow, and they are interpreting it liberally.

There's also certain provisions of the 68 GCA (and the ATFs interpretation), to take into account...

F6) Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee? [Back]

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f6

I hate Wal-Mart and dick sporting goods. They are full of dicks and anti kids...

Today I went into dick sporting goods to get some 45auto. The guy goes sorry i cant sell it to you, you're not 18.
I'm like.... "sir I'm 20, here's my license"
him: oh, you don't look like 20. Sorry you're not 21, i cant sell it to you.
Me: "excuse me? you just said 18 now you're saying 21?"
He: "I'm sorry sir, I'm just following the rules"
me: "No sir you're not. you are breaking the rules by not making a sale here for the company which you're being paid for to do so."
he darts his eyes on me and turned red " get the f*** out of my store now"
I was getting really pissed off. "sir there's no need of your cussing, just sell me the ammo or get me a manager".
He just yelled at me saying "I'm the f***ing manager, and I'm not selling you any ammo. get out of here kid"

i basically burst laughing " whoa there big guy, relax. You're not a manager and please don't claim that you're a manager because you just have made a fool out of yourself. Look at your name tag, does it say manager? No, it says your a trainee! now sell me the boxes before i call my lawyer"

He checks it out and takes my cash. f***ing pricks at dicks. Similar happened to me at Wal-Mart. I ended up leaving empty handed and it happened 3 months ago when i had a 9mm Beretta. i'm never going to land my foot in those stores at all. I'll just go to nelson or hussies, i dont care if their ammo cost few bucks more. I'm not going to get myself some more headaches in those stores.

I hate Wal-Mart and dick sporting goods. They are full of dicks and anti kids...

Today I went into dick sporting goods to get some 45auto. The guy goes sorry i cant sell it to you, you're not 18.
me: "No sir you're not. you are breaking the rules by not making a sale here for the company which you're being paid for to do so."
I was getting really pissed off. "sir there's no need of your cussing, just sell me the ammo or get me a manager".
He just yelled at me saying "I'm the f***ing manager, and I'm not selling you any ammo. get out of here kid"

i basically burst laughing " whoa there big guy, relax. You're not a manager and please don't claim that you're a manager because you just have made a fool out of yourself. Look at your name tag, does it say manager? No, it says your a trainee! now sell me the boxes before i call my lawyer"

He checks it out and takes my cash. f***ing pricks at dicks. Similar happened to me at Wal-Mart. I ended up leaving empty handed and it happened 3 months ago when i had a 9mm Beretta. i'm never going to land my foot in those stores at all. I'll just go to nelson or hussies, i dont care if their ammo cost few bucks more. I'm not going to get myself some more headaches in those stores.

wild_and_crazy_guys.jpg

DONT WORRY ABOUT DISEASES. I HAVE BEEN CURED MANY TIMES!

IMO this is reason 65,536 why nobody should buy ammo at walmart. Screw them, quite frankly. I haven't bought a box of ammo there in at least a year and don't regret it a bit. In between the dumb salespeople, and sometimes the understaffed sporting goods dept, that was like 2 strikes, and then the third is that they almost never have the amount of ammo I actually needed. It's not worth it to save a buck on a box of WWB or .45 blazer when you start adding in the annoyance/aggravation factor.

-Mike

There's also certain provisions of the 68 GCA (and the ATFs interpretation), to take into account.

Quite right, LoginName. Of course 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) applies only to FFLs. So, just like the MA dealer ammo sales law I cited, this wouldn't apply to any Walmart locations that didn't have an FFL.

I remember some years ago (well, a lot of years ago) there was the distinction between rifle and pistol ammunition. You couldn't buy "pistol" ammunition if all all you had was an FID card, and a log was kept of ammunition sales. This was even at gun shops.

Quite right, LoginName. Of course 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) applies only to FFLs. So, just like the MA dealer ammo sales law I cited, this wouldn't apply to any Walmart locations that didn't have an FFL.

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet . . .

Huh, now you have me confused! [hmmm]

Wal-Mart or any other retail outlet can't legally sell ammo w/o an FFL. Likewise in MA, they can't sell it w/o a MA Ammo Dealer's License (issued by local police chief).

When Wal-Mart in No. Attleboro had their MA Ammo Dealer's License yanked (for 2-3 years), the ammo sat in the case, collecting dust, but couldn't be sold to anyone. Same would happen if the FFL was pulled.

I remember some years ago (well, a lot of years ago) there was the distinction between rifle and pistol ammunition. You couldn't buy "pistol" ammunition if all all you had was an FID card, and a log was kept of ammunition sales. This was even at gun shops.

Yup, this was Fed Law back in the 1970s and 1980s as I recall.

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet . . .

Huh, now you have me confused! [hmmm]

Wal-Mart or any other retail outlet can't legally sell ammo w/o an FFL. Likewise in MA, they can't sell it w/o a MA Ammo Dealer's License (issued by local police chief).

When Wal-Mart in No. Attleboro had their MA Ammo Dealer's License yanked (for 2-3 years), the ammo sat in the case, collecting dust, but couldn't be sold to anyone. Same would happen if the FFL was pulled.

Yup, this was Fed Law back in the 1970s and 1980s as I recall.

There's no federal law that requires a license for selling ammunition only.

(F11) Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition? [Back]

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f11

Man you sure do have alot if issues with DS...second time in the past few weeks...was this the same store as the last ammo buying story?

Which stores are these so I can avoid them at all cost!

I plan on purchasing a new truck...do you have any car dealership stories that the vehicle buying went bad?

Back
Top Bottom