wal-mart sucks

I always thought that ammo dealers were federally regulated, otherwise how would they have enforced that ammo sales log many years ago?

I do appreciate the correction.

Wal-Mart or any other retail outlet can't legally sell ammo w/o an FFL. Likewise in MA, they can't sell it w/o a MA Ammo Dealer's License (issued by local police chief).

What LoginName said. Also, the MA ammo sales license is a very different beast than a MA firearms dealer license. MA dealers need the trifecta (FFL, MA dealer license, & MA ammo license) to effectively run a gun shop. But Walmart can sell just ammo without the FFL or the MA dealer license. All they need is the MA ammo license.

I always thought that ammo dealers were federally regulated, otherwise how would they have enforced that ammo sales log many years ago?

I do appreciate the correction.

The FFL for ammo sales requirement was repealed in the 86 Firearms Owners Protection Act.

Man you sure do have alot if issues with DS...second time in the past few weeks...was this the same store as the last ammo buying story?

Which stores are these so I can avoid them at all cost!

I plan on purchasing a new truck...do you have any car dealership stories that the vehicle buying went bad?

ummm, you have issues. [frown]

last weekend i went shooting and i went into dicks and got ammo that weekend. now i get this bs yesterday. Funny thing is the person who i dealt with yesterday was literally right next to the person i bought ammo from last week. So, i went into walmart which is 2 mins away from dicks and they wouldnt sell it to me, and it was a girl at the counter which had absolutely no idea about firearms. So i went to hussies which is 30 mins away and got myself ammo there with no problems.

now you get my drift?

That is exactly why I don't give any of my business to Wal-Mart. And if for some strange reason I did, gun related items would be the last thing I considered purchasing from there. I've only bought ammo from their store one time, and had a similar experience. I had to argue with the guy for a half hour, and speak to 2 supervisors before they would sell to me.

They also refused to give me a hunting license before I got my LTC. I brought in a copy of my previous year's license, which is acceptable proof of eligibility, and they denied me. I went down the road and got it from a bait shop, and haven't been back since.

So what if someone hunts strictly with a bow? You'll need your LTC to get the hunting license?

The FFL for ammo sales requirement was repealed in the 86 Firearms Owners Protection Act.

Thanks again. From your prior reply I thought that might have had to be the case, but I didn't want to mis-speak (again). [grin]

I don't track Fed laws nearly as much as MA gun law and I've never worked in a gun shop, so never had much need to understand their side of the coin.

They are not all the same.

All I can say is that not all Walmarts or Dick's Sporting Goods stores are the same. I'm sure most of us have had bad experiences at gun shops too. However we don't say we'll never shop at any and all gun shops ever again.
The age requirement that the cash register prompts can be confusing for some. Basically the register prompts to question whether the ammo is for a handgun. If you are under 21 and say yes then no sale.
I'm not defending the individual sales clerks actions. They clearly need more training.

I know these experiences can and do occur and I can imagine your frustration. I'd be pissed to say the least if some of what I've read happened to me.

IMO this is reason 65,536 why nobody should buy ammo at walmart. Screw them, quite frankly. I haven't bought a box of ammo there in at least a year and don't regret it a bit. In between the dumb salespeople, and sometimes the understaffed sporting goods dept, that was like 2 strikes, and then the third is that they almost never have the amount of ammo I actually needed. It's not worth it to save a buck on a box of WWB or .45 blazer when you start adding in the annoyance/aggravation factor.

-Mike

Second the statement. If I really need something, will look to a local store. Other than that, I look for bulk deals online.

The only issue I've ever had buying ammo from wally world was a dirty look from the hippie girl they had working the sports counter one day, but as it turned out she worked with my wife a while ago so when she walked up the dirty look went away and I never saw it again. Most of the time I talk guns with the guys who usually work the sporting section while my wife does her shopping. Never had a real issue there.

Ross, I drove a guy up there nuts when I gave him my NH permit. He asked me for my MA FID and I refused to provide it (LTC) . . . I told him "I'm in NH so all you get is a NH permit!" Nothing says that I have to bring the ammo back to MA, I could very easily be shooting it in NH. Finally he gave in. Funny thing is that he had sold me ammo there before and had never bitched about being shown the NH permit. This happened a few years ago.
Same thing happened to me in the Somersworth,NH Wal-Mart last year. When I raised my voice and asked him if we needed to go over the laws with his manager he finally sold to me. [smile]

Same thing happened to me in the Somersworth,NH Wal-Mart last year. When I raised my voice and asked him if we needed to go over the laws with his manager he finally sold to me. [smile]

Yes, and behind it all are the sleazy little lawmakers who come up with these things in the first place. They count on things like this to make it more difficult. After all, its only for "safety" and in the "best interest of the kiddies".

Grin, only me of course, but I don't so much blame the clerks as the lawmakers themselves.[grin]

Yes, and behind it all are the sleazy little lawmakers who come up with these things in the first place. They count on things like this to make it more difficult. After all, its only for "safety" and in the "best interest of the kiddies".

Grin, only me of course, but I don't so much blame the clerks as the lawmakers themselves.[grin]

Sorry Ray, this doesn't fly in this case.

NH law allows anyone to buy ammo that is of age, period. No licenses are required to buy ammo in NH.

Wal-Mart extends MA law to their Southern NH near-the-border stores as company policy.

We spent 5 days in Manchester NH area last Fall for vacation. I walked into the Manchester Wal-Mart, bought what I wanted and wasn't asked for any ID.

The guy at the Hudson NH store had waited on me a few times over the years (and he's probably in his 50s, not some young kid). It was just that last time (a few years ago) that he got all bent out of shape being shown a NH permit (as proof of age). I never show anything else in NH, no need to show MA permits there as they are useless and of no consequence.

Sorry Ray, this doesn't fly in this case.

NH law allows anyone to buy ammo that is of age, period. No licenses are required to buy ammo in NH.

Wal-Mart extends MA law to their Southern NH near-the-border stores as company policy.

We spent 5 days in Manchester NH area last Fall for vacation. I walked into the Manchester Wal-Mart, bought what I wanted and wasn't asked for any ID.

The guy at the Hudson NH store had waited on me a few times over the years (and he's probably in his 50s, not some young kid). It was just that last time (a few years ago) that he got all bent out of shape being shown a NH permit (as proof of age). I never show anything else in NH, no need to show MA permits there as they are useless and of no consequence.

I hear you, but the same comment still applies (IMO). Go to the root.

What difference does it make what state you are in if you want to go in and pick up a box of 30.06 or .308 or whatever? You are an adult, have a valid ID and need a box of ammo. Why should clerks in a store have to memorize all the gun/ammunition laws that for the most part should not be there in the first place?

Adult? Valid ID? Need a box of 30.06? That's all the clerk SHOULD have to know. The rest is garbage piled on by the so-called lawmakers.

i just bought .40 from walmart tonight in NH since i had short notice of a shoot for sunday. i wasnt sure on what walmarts policy was on selling MA people ammo, so i gave them my Army ID heh, the kid just looked at it for half a sec and gave it back, didnt even read the side with my age on it.

its great when you want to buy ammo 24/7. the prices werent anything to go crazy over, i think it was $16 for 50 rounds of .40sw

i just bought .40 from walmart tonight in NH since i had short notice of a shoot for sunday. i wasnt sure on what walmarts policy was on selling MA people ammo, so i gave them my Army ID heh, the kid just looked at it for half a sec and gave it back, didnt even read the side with my age on it.

its great when you want to buy ammo 24/7. the prices werent anything to go crazy over, i think it was $16 for 50 rounds of .40sw

Grin, never even thought of that. I have a Retired Army blue card that I just keep under my license and never give much thought to outside of an occasional trip to a base or a means of a "secondary" ID when needed. Will have to keep that in mind if I'm out of state and need some ammo.

Grin, never even thought of that. I have a Retired Army blue card that I just keep under my license and never give much thought to outside of an occasional trip to a base or a means of a "secondary" ID when needed. Will have to keep that in mind if I'm out of state and need some ammo.

i use the Army id whenever i dont want to person to know where im from (this being a good example). i can just say its my only form of ID and the person behind the counter wont say anything otherwise from my experiances.

i use the Army id whenever i dont want to person to know where im from (this being a good example). i can just say its my only form of ID and the person behind the counter wont say anything otherwise from my experiances.

Have you ever tried to buy a firearm of any type using only the military ID, without a DL? Never gave it much thought, but now I'm curious. [grin]

exactly what my cousin did, to buy himself most of the firearm from a local shop in Fayettevill, NC. not to mention, now he has a whole selection of glocks in his closet along with few aks and m4's. i'm quite stunned at his collection and how many items he had acquired with just an army id.

exactly what my cousin did, to buy himself most of the firearm from a local shop in Fayettevill, NC. not to mention, now he has a whole selection of glocks in his closet along with few aks and m4's. i'm quite stunned at his collection and how many items he had acquired with just an army id.

I'm amazed. Are you saying that his military ID got him by local and state laws? Can't quite picture it.

^ i think what helped him was that he was close to fort bragg. it's stationed in fayettvill so, thats why. Far as i know he has no license, no CCW no nothing. yet he acts like he got them or breaks the law because he doesn't have the permits/license.

so i gave them my Army ID heh, the kid just looked at it for half a sec and gave it back, didnt even read the side with my age on it.

We get a lot of kids showing up at the liquor store who hand me their military ID. It's almost a guarantee that anybody who hands me one is under age. I guess they expect people to see the ID and not look at the age.

NC != MA According to NRA site NC does not require licenses to own any gun, or to purchase long guns. Permits appear to be required to purchase handguns or CCW.

Man you sure do have alot if issues with DS...second time in the past few weeks...was this the same store as the last ammo buying story?

Which stores are these so I can avoid them at all cost!

I plan on purchasing a new truck...do you have any car dealership stories that the vehicle buying went bad?

Maybe he works for Walmart? Smear ads? [laugh]

So what if someone hunts strictly with a bow? You'll need your LTC to get the hunting license?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I believe they have recently changed the regs. The way it used to be, from what I am told, is that in order to be eligible for a hunting license, you would be required to produce an LTC/FID, proof of hunter safety ed course, or a license from a previous year. Before I had my LTC, I used to hunt with a bow, and a good friend of mine bought me my first license. The following year when I went to renew, they denied me and said that I needed a hunter safety cert or an FID/LTC. I told them that I was only going to be hunting during archery season, and as I was told from others, you don't need either of those for bow hunting. (I'm not sure of the accuracy of that information, as it came strictly from friends and the owner of a small bait shop, and not from any agency/organization.) The associate told me that he cannot give me a license if I don't provide him with one of those documents. I told him I thought it was rather strange since they sold me a license the previous year (even though I wasn't the one who purchased it.) It wasn't until then that he told me he could accept the last year's license as eligibility. I believe it has since changed, and they do not accept FID/LTC's for hunting licenses. You have to provide a previous hunting license, or hunter safety ed certificate, regardless of what you will be hunting with. I know there are some on here that will know a definite answer to this, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

You have to provide a previous hunting license, or hunter safety ed certificate, regardless of what you will be hunting with. I know there are some on here that will know a definite answer to this, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Correct. FID and LTC cards are no longer required or accepted for obtaining a MA hunting license. First time hunters must provide a hunters safety card. All others must provide a previous license from any state. This change was implemented in January of 2007 per MA wildlife. People still try to use an LTC stating that they had to take a hunters safety course in order to get the LTC and there is no way they would have the LTC if they hadn't. They also try to state that this rule only applies to first time hunters and that they have been hunting for years. It is up to you to provide documentation to prove it. It is amazing how many people think the LTC is some sort of golden ticket. Don't get me wrong it is in fact one of the most important things in my wallet.

This previous hunting license/hunters safety requirement simplifies things a little bit. It is now the responsibility of the hunter to have the required license if he/she wants to hunt with a long gun.

Last edited:
When Bass Pro opened last November in Foxboro I had the lady at the checkout counter ask me what the ammo was for, handgun or rifle. I asked why, I don't particularly remember the answer but haven't been asked since.

Never had a problem at Dick's, but buy there on occasion.

Past problems at Wal-Mart have been finding someone that can ring up ammo sales or finding a manager that knows not to run out of stock.

I would buy off a dealer than Wal-Mart. I will still buy at Bass Pro. Dick's has been OK if you catch their inventory right.

Dana

I just went to wally world in Concord. I told them what I wanted...the grabbed it apologizing that they only had 1 box of White box 45 acp ..... didn't ask for an ID, didn't ask for anything other than the money.

Wonder if it was cuz I was open carrying...or cuz I was wearing a Criminals For Gun Control tee-shirt trying to buy ammo at Walmart with cash....

Back
Top Bottom