Virginia & Open Carry

Palladin

NES Member
I'm going to Virginia in a couple of weeks....up in the mountains. The locals have already told me bring a handgun for rattlers & bears. I'm searching the web looking for permit info, etc. and find this:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/16338.html

I'm not a big fan of open carry, I'd rather not let everyone know I have it. But in the mountains/woods, it seems feasible....but this guy is in downtown Norfolk!

Thoughts? I can see open carry in the woods / towns...can I do it, even though I'm not a resident?

Joe

I'm going to Virginia in a couple of weeks....up in the mountains. The locals have already told me bring a handgun for rattlers & bears. I'm searching the web looking for permit info, etc. and find this:

I'm not a big fan of open carry, I'd rather not let everyone know I have it. But in the mountains/woods, it seems feasible....but this guy is in downtown Norfolk!

Thoughts? I can see open carry in the woods / towns...can I do it, even though I'm not a resident?

Joe

What's the point of shooting a rattlesnake? Just curious. if you're too close, you've already been bitten. If you hear a rattle but haven't been bitten then back off. How does a gun help you against a snake?

If you're hunting it for it's skin, you need to be a man about it and get 'em bare handed[wink]

Open carry is quite common down in these parts, and the rural areas no one even really cares. I can't comment about non-residents open carrying, but you could call the LE agency in the town you will be visiting and ask the question. The mindset for open carry here is totally different than from my hometown. You'll get more compliments on your carry piece than frightened or dirty looks.

See:

Va. Code. Ann.: § 15.2-915.

Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

The VA General Assembly has not made it illegal to open carry, and, therefore, by default, open carry is legal. Just make sure it is in plain view and conspicuous and you should be fine.

See § 18.2-308 et seq. for places where the legislature has decided it is illegal to carry (can depend on whether carry is open or concealed - can't conceal carry into any place that serves alcohol but can open carry unless prohibited by owner).

Last edited:

Joe

If you have a Florida Non-Res. LTC Virginia recognizes it. If you don't it's a little late to apply, but I don't know much at all about open carry.

Back
Top Bottom