Vihtavuori N320/N340 = Purple Unicorn ?

EddieZoom

NES Member
I've got plenty of powder (win231, titegroup, powerpistol, bullseye) but spending too much time on the internet has talked me into the idea that I need to find the powder with the funny name and stupidly high price for loading 9MM/40S&W.

I've personally never seen it on a shelf...but since I was never looking for it can't be 100% sure that it wasn't there.

Does anyone have a local source (MA) for this powder ? Am I better off saving my money and stop seeking the purple unicorn of powders ?

I've got plenty of powder (win231, titegroup, powerpistol, bullseye) but spending too much time on the internet has talked me into the idea that I need to find the powder with the funny name and stupidly high price for loading 9MM/40S&W.

I've personally never seen it on a shelf...but since I was never looking for it can't be 100% sure that it wasn't there.

Does anyone have a local source (MA) for this powder ? Am I better off saving my money and stop seeking the purple unicorn of powders ?

Outback has had a decent selection of VV powders.
Yours specifically ?

I switched to N320 from Titegroup (for 9mm) when I read how clean burning it was compared to other powders. It certainly is cleaner burning compared to Titegroup but it also doesn't burn as hot as TG since its a single base powder. I would get a stain on the cases and the muzzle of my guns when I used TG but not anymore with N320. Not the end of the world of course...

It also meters well but so does TG. Is it worth the extra $10+ per pound compared to TG? Maybe. Personal preference I guess. Keep in mind that when you spread that extra cost over the thousands of rounds you can get out of a pound, it amounts to an extra 1-2 cents per round.

With 150 gr blue bullets I use 3 gr of N320. 1 pound = 7,000 grains / 3 grains = 2,333 rounds

I've never seen N320 available locally. I've seen other Vit powders at Cabelas but not N320 specifically. I bought 12 pounds of it online a couple years ago.

Last edited:
I don't get my powder locally but I've seen VV at Cabela's. I'd call Al's in Derry NH and Glenn's in North Reading. Both seem to have a lot of powder.

I was at the Cabela's in Berlin a couple of days ago and they actually had about 5 or more VV powders on the shelf.

You need to pay the hazmat fee and get it imported from a remote. It's high brow shit and most reloaders are skinflints so most shops around
here won't sell it.

-Mike

You need to pay the hazmat fee and get it imported from a remote. It's high brow shit and most reloaders are skinflints so most shops around
here won't sell it.

-Mike
Even the on-line sellers are occasionally out, so stock up when you get a chance. I'm still using Titegroup and am happy with it, but will probably look to score some 3N38 for a Super I just had tuned up.

I should rephrase, it is one of my wholesalers I deal with, not retailer. They do charge hazmat buy I can usually weasel my way out of them. I usually buy some bulk orders from them on powder and other stuff. Sadly no FFL, they have some good prices lol

Currently running a deal, free shipping and hazmat on orders over 500

Last edited:
I don't get my powder locally but I've seen VV at Cabela's. I'd call Al's in Derry NH and Glenn's in North Reading. Both seem to have a lot of powder.
Al carries VV, but he does not carry N320 for whatever reason. I ended up buying it online. 8lbs came out to like $33/lb shipped which is obviously expensive, but like Andrew mentioned, it works out to like 5 or 6 bucks more per 1000rds.

Back
Top Bottom