• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase

So he bought a machine gun with no lic to do so and a obliterated serial number to boot? and because he served he gets a pass? Kind of a real blatant disregard here. Sorry I’m not to broken up over this one. Should he do 7? No. A free pass? No. He’s got to pay some IMHO

his service has nothing to do with this.

it's a victimless non-crime, over bullshit laws that are unconstitutional.

put me on the jury and he walks free as he should.

Don't buy into this bullshit. When people bitch that he needs to serve something, they worse than gun grabbing antis. 2a motherf***ers! Abolish ATF and any bullshit laws that infringe our right to bear arms. ATF saved no one, no one gives a shit. Go f***ing raid FBI or whoever was running fast and furious, f***ing worseless oxygen thieves.

Yeah, he f***ed up and the sentencing is excessive, but I'm left wondering how his being busted even happened to begin with.
A lot of details lacking in this story...

"Last year, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents looking for the rifle raided Pick’s Plano, Texas, home two weeks
after his wife died of cancer and found the weapon"

his service has nothing to do with this.

it's a victimless non-crime, over bullshit laws that are unconstitutional.

put me on the jury and he walks free as he should.

Don't buy into this bullshit. When people bitch that he needs to serve something, they worse than gun grabbing antis. 2a motherf***ers! Abolish ATF and any bullshit laws that infringe our right to bear arms. ATF saved no one, no one gives a shit. Go f***ing raid FBI or whoever was running fast and furious, f***ing worseless oxygen thieves.
Correct his service has little to do with it. But He needs to serve because he doesn’t get to decide what laws he follows. Can’t have it both ways. Victimless crime, yes. Unconstitutional, not as of today. I also wouldn’t want much time either.

So he bought a machine gun with no lic to do so and a obliterated serial number to boot? and because he served he gets a pass? Kind of a real blatant disregard here. Sorry I’m not to broken up over this one. Should he do 7? No. A free pass? No. He’s got to pay some IMHO

Stupid? Sure... doing ANY time over a malum prohibitum "crime"? Pure garbage, and a huge waste of tax dollars to boot.

-Mike

Yeah, he f***ed up and the sentencing is excessive, but I'm left wondering how his being busted even happened to begin with.
A lot of details lacking in this story...

"Last year, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents looking for the rifle raided Pick’s Plano, Texas, home two weeks
after his wife died of cancer and found the weapon"

I am curious about this too, one of us will have to excavate the indictment. I'd start looking now, but it's a pain to do it on a cell phone.

-Mike

I hate the second amendment and right to keep and bear arms too.

Stupid purchase yes. Should his military background and earning a silver star and having a spotless record be considered yes. Giving him seven years when hardend dangerous felons get far less no. Simply taking his toys away and making him a prohibited person should be enough.

Someone wrote the following on another forum:

"most of the articles don't mention the cocaine and the pot in the indictment."

It appears that his home was raided for drugs when the rifle was found, but don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Someone wrote the following on another forum:

It appears that his home was raided for drugs when the rifle was found, but don't know for sure.

I find that equally as unconcerning. So he possessed a couple things the government doesn't like. The horror! Unless he was doing things with them to hurt others I don't care. Weed? Most state governments don't even care. A rifle he owned for 35 years and kept in a display case and never used for anything, nevertheless anything bad? A type of rifle he was given to use in the military. An object expressly mentioned as something you have a right to own. I cannot think of anything that's less wrong.

This is what happens when the .gov gives us a book of stupid rules. The statists in the beginning of this thread are part of the problem, claim to be proponents of 2A but clearly are not. A piece of metal was hit with a grinder so someone(A decorated veteran) is going to jail for 7 years, ****ing insane!! Hillary walks free of course, while this poor bastard goes through this, where is the 8A for this victimless crime?

Really? I'd love to see the documentation for that. It'd be great fodder.

It's not really great fodder, he was charged and got four years probation in 1974 and was pardoned in 2013 I believe. He seems to be the only one Obama pardoned who had a serial number related offense.

• Larry Wayne Thornton – Forsyth, Georgia.
Offense: Possession of an unregistered firearm, 26 U.S.C. §§ 5861(d), 5871; possession of

a firearm without a serial number, 26 U.S.C. §§ 5861(i), 5871.

Sentence: Four years probation.

https://www.quora.com/Who-is-Larry-Wayne-Thornton-and-why-did-President-Obama-pardon-him

2 weeks after wife died.....sounds like someone on wife side did not get the fine china and made things tough for the widow.

illegal aliens!, we're either a nation of laws or not! antfa in the street! lock them up we must have laws in this country! illegal gun!...oh well.. um im a sovereign citizen and I don't interpret the law the way the court does um...Please. If he wanted a machine gun he should've just gone out and got it the right way like everybody else. why no serial number? Does he have someone elses stolen rifle? Can't have it both ways.

7 years for not having a $200 tax stamp.
A gross miscarriage of justice.
It seems to me that the Constitution, and specifically the Bill of Rights, was designed to prevent this kind of thing.

Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase: report
Someone probably took an angle grinder to Uncle Sam's proof marks and "property of U.S. Government" engravings too. AFAIK, the M14 was never sold commercially. Since this happened back in the 1980s, years before civilian police departments were freely handed these weapons from obsolete Army stockpiles, this M14 was likely reported lost or destroyed and smuggled back from Vietnam. It could have been stolen from a reserve or NG facility. Also, maybe even lifted, fully or partially finished, from the TRW production line back in the 1950s. If the ATF jackboots
wasted 35 years tracking down one rifle, my bet is they know its entire history. Whether they share the info with that poor sap's defense attorney is another matter entirely. I would never accept a gun of any kind with a filed off serial number. I would not want to get saddled with a weapon that may very well have been used in a murder.

This is what happens when the .gov gives us a book of stupid rules. The statists in the beginning of this thread are part of the problem, claim to be proponents of 2A but clearly are not. A piece of metal was hit with a grinder so someone(A decorated veteran) is going to jail for 7 years, ****ing insane!! Hillary walks free of course, while this poor bastard goes through this, where is the 8A for this victimless crime?
how do you know its Victimless? Who's rifle is it? Some other vets? Someone else's family heirloom he bought hot?

Stupid purchase yes. Should his military background and earning a silver star and having a spotless record be considered yes. Giving him seven years when hardend dangerous felons get far less no. Simply taking his toys away and making him a prohibited person should be enough.

How about they just take the gun and say, "Dude, you can't have that. We'll take it from here."

The whole PP thing is bullspit. Short of any confirmation of the drug bust above (and were the drugs found due to the gun bust or vice versa?), PP'ing someone for this is just stupid.

how do you know its Victimless? Who's rifle is it? Some other vets? Someone else's family heirloom he bought hot?
Because the feds are all worked up over it. They love victimless crimes. Drugs, stupid serial #'s, gun parts,

This subject has obviously brought out your inner MA liberal. Comparing a scratched up piece of metal to foreign invaders soaking up social services and masked people beating citizens in the streets is an insane comparison.

Swapping a slap on the wrist and becoming a prohibted person is a no brainer , Even if a lawyer got him a plea deal with a suspended sentence he'd be a PP anyways. Possession is a tough battle to fight.

Back
Top Bottom